I want my scooter back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Norm said:
See you on the forums at www.ukbeg.com, then. :becool:

Already lurked on there, Norm. Not brave enough to dive in. I've not ridden it yet (apart from around the works car park), but can tell it's going to be a hoot. It needs tidying up a bit - couple of broken hugger mount bolts in the swingarm/tank which will need to be carefully removed. Plus I've been given loads of carbon bits for it - mudguard, hugger, oil cooler scoop, belly pan, heel guards etc - which need fitting or selling. Not sure which. It's also got a Buell race exhaust and ECU. Sounds fab.

I bought it cheap cus it's got a big dent in the frame. Perfectly okay, but not repairable, so I'll live with it. Paint not immaculate on wheels. 13000 miles, 54 plate, full service history, cost me £1200 which seemed pretty good to me.

bauldbairn

Proto said:
I had a mate at school who bought something called (I might get this bit wrong, it was a long time ago :becool:) an 'Arthur Francis Special S Type' Lambretta. I think it was a GP225. He reckoned it was the fastest thing around and cost him a fortubne.

Spot on, an AF 225 S type later became a 250 I think - quoted to do a ton(100mph). That's a blast from the past - well done Proto.

Anyone remember the "Rossa"(I think) - it all went a bit "mental" in the late 80's. It was a full frame Lambretta GP - with a Yamaha RD350LC YPVS engine/gearbox etc. Obviously scooters weren't really designed for +100mph speeds - so it was geared for accelleration, a bit like a motocrosser.:biggrin:
Stories at the time had it out accellerating any motorcycle - but without the top speed/handling.:biggrin:

Unbelievably the guy tried to put them into production - handmade - and had a breakdown due to demand.:sad:

Oh! I had a Yamaha RD350LC motorbike at the time - although I kept it hidden from my scootering/mod pals.:becool: - :thumbsup:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
bauldbairn said:
Spot on, an AF 225 S type later became a 250 I think - quoted to do a ton(100mph). That's a blast from the past - well done Proto.

Anyone remember the "Rossa"(I think) - it all went a bit "mental" in the late 80's. It was a full frame Lambretta GP - with a RD350LC YPVS engine/gearbox etc. Obviously scooters weren't really designed for +100mph speeds - so it was geared for accelleration, a bit like a motocrosser.:thumbsup:
Stories at the time had it out accellerating any motorcycle - but without the top speed/handling.:biggrin:

Unbelievably the guy tried to put them into production - handmade - and had a breakdown due to demand.:biggrin:

Oh! I had a RD350LC at the time - although I kept it hidden from my scootering/mod pals.:becool: - :becool:

I think I remember seeing it in Scootering didn't it have a radiator in front of the horn casing? because the engine was water cooled or I might be imagining that bit.

wilko

Veteran
Happiness Stan said:
Speaking as a mad Scooter Boy from the early 80s, I have discovered that it is very difficult to look cool riding a scooter when you are over 40. You just look sad. No offence Wilko.

The same goes for over 40s trying to look cool wearing football shirts, band tees, slogan tees, golf jumpers and flat caps. You look ok if you are 20 but not 40.

Fred Perry is ok if you are still roughly the same weight you were when you were 18.

Which I am:biggrin:

Thanks for that mate, you certainly know how to win friends and influence people dontcha! For your information I'm only 25. Just had a hard life!

bauldbairn

Fnaar said:
These are objects of beauty, as far as I'm concerned :becool:
Nice to see such an active Mod contingent amongst the cycle-chatters :becool:

Yip! We've all fell out of the closet.:biggrin:

Never really did the mirrors and lights thing when I was a Mod - always liked the original design/look, personal choice really. I liked/admired the look of them though.:biggrin: - :thumbsup:

Fab Foodie said:
As soon as I opened that photo I hear Booker T and the MGs running through my head!

Yeah! Or Groovin With Mr Bloe by Mr Bloe for some reason.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQWOne1sfo

bauldbairn

Hacienda71 said:
I think I remember seeing it in Scootering didn't it have a radiator in front of the horn casing? because the engine was water cooled or I might be imagining that bit.

That's the fella - the LC was for Liquid Cooled.

bauldbairn

Hacienda71 said:
Mmmm GS160 :thumbsup: Being a bit of a mod I hope none of you took a hacksaw to your trusty steeds back in the day;)

Never! Not even when I became a Scooterboy - music the same, scooters the same - only my clothes changed.:biggrin:
It was mainly for practicality - try riding a scooter 500 miles on a motorway at up to 80mph in a three button suit and a parka in mid-winter.:becool:

Unfortunately several of my mates chopped panels/legshields and extended forks.:becool:

bauldbairn

wilko said:
Thanks for that mate, you certainly know how to win friends and influence people dontcha! For your information I'm only 25. Just had a hard life!

:biggrin:

bauldbairn said:
Oh! Happyness Stan.
Wilko did just say he was TRYING to look cool. Who cares what people think?
Is it just you that thinks you look cool(ok) in your Fred Perry? :thumbsup: - :becool: - :biggrin:

It didn't go un-noticed. :becool:

Happiness Stan

wilko said:

Didn't mean you in particular Wilko,just blokes in general. Sorry, can we still be friends?

BTW The special edition Vespa you have, what does it have to make it a special edition? (I'm not being facitious here).

wilko

Veteran
Happiness Stan said:
Didn't mean you in particular Wilko,just blokes in general. Sorry, can we still be friends?

BTW The special edition Vespa you have, what does it have to make it a special edition? (I'm not being facitious here).

Ok, I will forgive you this time! :smile: The Vespa is the same as the others except for the paint job and a special edition plaque attatched to the scoot. It also comes with a special edition watch and a booklet.

Norm

Proto said:
Already lurked on there, Norm. Not brave enough to dive in. I've not ridden it yet (apart from around the works car park), but can tell it's going to be a hoot. It needs tidying up a bit - couple of broken hugger mount bolts in the swingarm/tank which will need to be carefully removed. Plus I've been given loads of carbon bits for it - mudguard, hugger, oil cooler scoop, belly pan, heel guards etc - which need fitting or selling. Not sure which. It's also got a Buell race exhaust and ECU. Sounds fab.

I bought it cheap cus it's got a big dent in the frame. Perfectly okay, but not repairable, so I'll live with it. Paint not immaculate on wheels. 13000 miles, 54 plate, full service history, cost me £1200 which seemed pretty good to me.
Sweet deal, and a good price for that. Careful of that dented frame, though, and a bit surprised that it wasn't a category A or B write off. Make sure there's no cracks that allow the fuel to leak out.

As for UKBEG, it's not that bad, just don't mention the dent to Maz (the other Maz) though. That particularly silly piece of design is one of the reasons he dislikes the Fuellers anyway. :smile:

Top Bottom