I was asked to leave a weighloss club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No idea but a lot of people would surely weigh themselves at home, and spot the rather obvious discrepancy.
Even if you didn't, I'm sure the kind of person who would attend such a thing (presumably someone at least vaguely acquainted with their real weight) would smell a rat at such a big discrepancy. Sounds to me like stupidity added to sharp practice. Maybe 5lb or even 6...but 10 seems like pushing it a touch too far.

I once went on a ..I Speak Your Weight Machine

Waiting my turn at the local clinic I saw a big sign on the machine reading: "This is not a Speak Your Weight Machine", setting me to wondering idly whether it was there to avoid dissuading porkers who'd rather not broadcast to all & sundry or whining kids, disappointed by the lack of vocal action.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've lost nearly a stone in 5 days. I call my diet "flu and gastro-enteritis".

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
This is of course on the assumption that the doctors scales are actually correctly calibrated.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
That is awful, I always weigh a couple of pounds heavier at WW, but that is only compared to my home scales. 10lb would be a bit much!

Well done on the 31lbs this year by the way, I have lost 25lb this year and would like to double that by my birthday :smile:

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This is of course on the assumption that the doctors scales are actually correctly calibrated.
My Nurse Practitioner and Doc say that they are correctly calibrated as they prescribe some meds based on weight. Especially weight related for kids, more than adults.

My home scales weigh the same as 3 sets of different scales in different doctors offices at the practice and within 1lb of the ones at the gym.

I am sure that the majority of diet club people are fine but reckon that there is always going to be the odd one or two. Hubster says that the scales are forever being carried around in the backs of cars, no telling if the floor surface is as flat as it could be and that the scales are not going to be in the same place on the floor each time, so there could be lots of reasons for them to be out. He might have a point. I weigh, at home, in the same place each time. The doctor's scales don't move round the room either.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That is awful, I always weigh a couple of pounds heavier at WW, but that is only compared to my home scales. 10lb would be a bit much!
I weigh more at the clinic than at home but that's almost certainly clothes and outdoor boots. Are the weights used in public health advice clothed or naked weights?

Can't see many people going for the FAG Diet.

GC
Sounds like a pain in the ar8e to me....

classic33

Leg End Member
It doesn't much matter what the baseline was though, as long as the club doesn't reset the scales along the way the loss will be the same, surely. I think the bit about scales being slung into car boots and used on different surfaces is the most probable explanation, rather than a conspiracy.
And if the person running does reset the scales for the final weigh-in.

It has been known.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
So @Saluki, there's you and a neighbour: can you find another like minded neighbour or two and form your own support group? Weigh ins followed by coffee and - um - not-cake :smile: Do you really need anything from the parent organisation you couldn't give each other?
Not now. I just wanted the books ready for maintenance :smile: I have them. Nice to chat with neighbour about other things besides the other neighbour, who she doesn't like. Seems like a really nice lady, plus I have got to know her a little better too.
I use an excellent support group on twitface, 'the exante group' very busy and a closed group so it doesn't appear on my friend feed - not that I post anything on my friend feed.
I was just shocked at the weight discrepancy. I thought that it was quite alarming. I hope that it's just a blip and that the leader woman concerned, gets those scales sorted as I could imagine that some people might get very disheartened.

Top Bottom