I was deliberately knocked off.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Definitely report it to the police. I understand your hesitation and would probably agree if he'd just been a nutter with spittle-lined windows, but he knocked you off.

You have a likely registration plate, the police might not know where the vehicle is but they can put it on their ANPR database, any ANPR-equipped police car can then pull it over sharply. And believe me it won't be long before it gets pulled.

MatthewJMcc

Regular
this is why i stick to the pavements and rarely venture out into the road. No one has time for cyclists and if i ever do go into the road i take up a fair portion of the road if there is on coming traffic so they cant just try and squeeze past me, obviously if there is no on coming traffic i give plenty of room.

My dad nearly got knocked down once and gave the driver some verbal. Driver slammed the brakes on and got out, father put his bike down and took off the bike chain he had around his neck (bit like a giant piece of jewellery haha) and held it rather menacingly. I'm sure you can work the rest out

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
Mr C - I'm really sorry to hear of your incidents and that you are at the point of leaving your two wheeled steed in the shed... I had something similar happen to me a while back, residential street (yards from home), a sunny Sunday morning and this tw*t in a big white van decided to run me off the road - twice. I'm 5'3'' and female. Nice. Thankfully I decided to carry on and meet with friends rather than brood on the incident, which was a massive help. Police were good but I had one or two digits wrong on reg so they could do no more but radio out a description. I still want to rip the guy apart, but I'm glad I didn't allow him to stop me from enjoying riding my bike.
So, I hope the sun shines on you this weekend and you get back on your bike to enjoy some great rides.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Mr C - I'm really sorry to hear of your incidents and that you are at the point of leaving your two wheeled steed in the shed... I had something similar happen to me a while back, residential street (yards from home), a sunny Sunday morning and this tw*t in a big white van decided to run me off the road - twice. I'm 5'3'' and female. Nice. Thankfully I decided to carry on and meet with friends rather than brood on the incident, which was a massive help. Police were good but I had one or two digits wrong on reg so they could do no more but radio out a description. I still want to rip the guy apart, but I'm glad I didn't allow him to stop me from enjoying riding my bike.
So, I hope the sun shines on you this weekend and you get back on your bike to enjoy some great rides.

Thank you.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
This makes my blood boil.

Everytime a toerag like this gets away with crap like this it gives him the incentive to do it again.

I have only once been in a confrontation when a gave the finger to a close pass idiot, he slammed on his brakes and gave the standard "wots your problem mate" I replied idiots like you to which I was threatened with violence by a fat twat with a fag in his mouth yet when invited him to give it his best shot he drove off.

The point I am rather badly making is that most of us are a dammed site fitter than the fools that try it on. Of course we have to make sure wecannot be driven at and no I am not suggesting I would take on a transit with three builders or a lorry but the standard gobshite or pig ignorant taxi driver is fair game.

My attitude is cycle with due care, be polite and dont take crap if you can help it.

None

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Deffo report this, if only to make sure the plods have a record of car matching this description if he's involved in a similar incident.

Hopefully, as someone else has said, Karma will out. We all have a right to use the roads and no one individual has more rights to use the Queen's Highway (except maybe the Queen).

I remember you decided last year to give up the commute. I hope you spot this Fenland Scum on your travels. Hopefully you'll come across him parked outside someone's house (if he's a decorator).

But report him ASAP.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Deffo report this, if only to make sure the plods have a record of car matching this description if he's involved in a similar incident.

Hopefully, as someone else has said, Karma will out. We all have a right to use the roads and no one individual has more rights to use the Queen's Highway (except maybe the Queen).

I remember you decided last year to give up the commute. I hope you spot this Fenland Scum on your travels. Hopefully you'll come across him parked outside someone's house (if he's a decorator).

But report him ASAP.

I did following my last knock down. But since this I have changed jobs which allows me to ride the Guided Bus Way from St Ives into Cambridge to which I now return to driving to and from with bike in back of car. The other end in Cambridge is all cycle path, parks and pavement riding which although have their own set of hazards suit me fine. The roads are just too frikin' dangerous for cyclists. At the big roundabout, at the junction with the Milton Road and Chester Way I have seen three cyclists almost killed by cars and buses who have not stopped to give way as cyclists pass in front of them on the road which re-inforces my view. At the start of this year I also saw a girl knocked off on the Huntingdon Road going out to Girton (I was in my car and was a witness). So as a cyclist you are pretty vulnerable on the roads. I am no longer prepared to take the risk. I thought I was, but I am not. Life is short enough as it is.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If you find out where he lives you could superglue his car door locks and shove a few potatoes in the exhaust pipe.

DrLex

merely the moocher
IIRC, Judge Dredd could be credited with the spread of "perp".

Wouldn't be surprised if a DVLC ownership enquiry on the reg came back with a prior owner or indicated a cloned vehicle, given the pikey quality of the driver.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It's short for perpendicular because a lot of people who commit crime are standing up at the time and therefore "perpendicular" to the ground.
Sorry if I'm missing a joke here, but 'perpetrator', shurely? Its first mention in the OED is 1968. And the 1976 entry from the New York Times says: "The suspect or ‘perp’ (short for ‘perpetrator’ in police jargon), was an armed state probation officer who had gone berserk in his home."

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Sorry if I'm missing a joke here, but 'perpetrator', shurely? Its first mention in the OED is 1968. And the 1976 entry from the New York Times says: "The suspect or ‘perp’ (short for ‘perpetrator’ in police jargon), was an armed state probation officer who had gone berserk in his home."
Sorry, my fault. It was meant as a joke but it was a very tiny joke and not easily spotted. :sad:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry to read of your close encounter with such an obnoxious specimen, Crankarm. I can only echo the comments of others urging you to report this. You just might be making a police officer's day if he can finally pin something on this ignorant bully.

Top Bottom