I was hit from behind by a cyclist today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Ouch!

Hope the injuries weren't too serious. GWS

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I thought this was going to be a moan about damage to your posh new car!

What a dik, was he/she apologetic and did you get their details for the inevitable and legitimate injury claim?

Hope you are soon on the mend. :hugs:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On the Waskerley Way heading towards Consett in County Durham there are 'Cyclists slow down' signs.

It is a steady descent for eight or nine miles, well made gravel track, and said to be the most exhilarating stretch on the NCN network.

Trouble is it's a shared path, although there are very few walkers on the more remote stretch near Parkhead Station.

Even steady old me gets up a fair lick along there, although I accept walkers can reasonably expect not to have cyclists whistling past their ears at 20+mph.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I always call out "bike" about 50 yards back when approaching horses, walkers and slow cyclists from behind. Then a pleasant "thanks" as I pass. Having a cyclist whizz past can cause quite a fright and I don't want somebody swerving in front of me and us both getting hurt.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I may have misunderstood but calling out anything whilst approaching horses round here would very much be frowned upon. I stop when faced with oncoming horses and wait for an invite to pass approaching horses. Maybe that sounds a bit super safe to some but the lanes round here can be really busy with horses and some have never come across a cyclist before.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well the riders almost always thank me for not startling the horses so I think they like it.

It stems from an incident about 30 years ago when I came hooning down a hill and round a corner there was a young girl on a pony, which reared up. She dismounted but caught a foot in a stirrup and fell back on the ground. She wasn't hurt but it was embarrassing for me. I realised how easily horses get startled by things appearing suddenly.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Twits are born twits - it's genetic. They don't suddenly become a twit by virtue of that days transport choices. Glad you're not badly hurt.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I may have misunderstood but calling out anything whilst approaching horses round here would very much be frowned upon. I stop when faced with oncoming horses and wait for an invite to pass approaching horses. Maybe that sounds a bit super safe to some but the lanes round here can be really busy with horses and some have never come across a cyclist before.

Seems to be the opposite round this way. I always make my presence known when coming up behind a horse by speaking to the rider. A few of them have told me they prefer a call out, as the horse hears your voice and then doesn't get startled when you go by.

My usual call out both ways is asking if it is okay to go by them.

@potsy hope you are okay

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Seems to be the opposite round this way. I always make my presence known when coming up behind a horse by speaking to the rider. A few of them have told me they prefer a call out, as the horse hears your voice and then doesn't get startled when you go by.
Same here. I always shout out "Hello.....okay to come past?" before getting too close. The riders always appreciate it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hope you are ok. We both walk and cycle. When cycling, always use bell AND a friendly call (hello, ok to pass etc), when approaching other, slower, users. I do get amazed at how many people are oblivious to their surroundings, but, I must admit, when walking along, I am guilty of day dreaming ;)

Top Bottom