I was offed last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Two lanes of stationary traffic were waiting at a red light. Both lanes could go straight ahead, or the left one could turn left. I wanted to turn left, so I went slowly up the left hand side along a cycle lane with the aim of reaching the ASZ. I was about four cars from the front when the passenger decided to get out. I ended up on the pavement with the bike on top of me. I had a slightly bruised hip but the bike was fine. The passenger was full of remorse.

I was only going at about 5mph but I had absolutely no chance of reacting. The foot-long scratch that my pedal made on the car door was right in the middle, so he must have opened it when I was right alongside.

Anyway, I got back on the bike and rode off. Would there have been a better way to approach the junction? I didn't want to be further out to the right because I might have got caught between two lines of cars going straight ahead. I'd be grateful for any opinions.

Thanks.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Either stay in line, wait your turn and don't filter down the left, or filter very slowly, brakes covered, and watch every car like a hawk as you approach for passengers about to move. Even then, if someone opens a door as you're alongside, there's not much you can do.

Still, the scratch in the door is their reminder, and at least the passenger was sorry, and hopefully will look better in future.

Just because we can filter, doesn't mean we should, or have to, every time...

NigC

Sounds like you were the unlucky one caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't see there's anything you could have done differently except not filter - but if there's plenty of room, then why should you avoid filtering?

But here's a lesson in why people in general should filter at low speed. I'd take the risk of a bruised hip for a slight delay rather than the risk of a broken leg and a trip to the hospital for the chance of gaining a minute on my journey.

Well I hope there's not too much damage to your body parts. Sounds like the biggest lesson was for the passenger of the car - glad to see they were sorry and not an arse about it :tongue:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
hackbike 666 said:
Can happen to anyone.

BTW hope you and bike are ok.:wacko:

What did the driver/passenger say?

The passenger was an Australian bloke and apologised with Shakespearean eloquence.... "I'm really sorry, mate" several times. He also asked if I was OK more than once, and hung around until I was on my way. He just made a mistake. I do sometimes as well.

Actually, it was my first experience of bouncing on hard surfaces since I took up riding in London traffic a year ago. I had a very gentle introduction, so I am counting my blessings. It may have done me some good as well. I was starting to get a bit over-confident and probably needed a little lesson.

Thanks everybody.

I've noticed a good cabbie tends to pull right into the pavement when dropping off a passenger....Unfortunately motorists don't do the same

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
I've noticed a good cabbie tends to pull right into the pavement when dropping off a passenger...

...and a really good cabbie makes sure that there isn't a cyclist there, first.

In two lanes of traffic I very nearly always will filter down the middle. I think this is safer in general. Would it be possible to filter down the middle towards the ASL?

But I also agree with what the others have said, we all filter down the left on occasion, and the best you can do is do it slowly and keep a close eye on the cars ahead. It nearly happened to me once as well.

(I think I've reached the critical mass of having a video for every occasion! :biggrin:)

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Magnatom, I could have filtered down the middle but I couldn't be sure that I wouldn't be caught between two lines of traffic going straight ahead if the lights changed. The left lane wasn't solely for left-turning traffic. (I would post a streetview shot but, alas, I have not yet learned how it insert pictures into posts.)

Top Bottom