I was taken out this morning..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
rsvdaz said:
it is a 40...the traffice was queued on the lights so was using the opportunity to filter to the front..when the lights changed I took note who was turning left I thought it safe to cross the junction..I now know it was wrong to assume that ;)

Ah ......... it all becomes clear now. As the others have said.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

it varies depending how fit im feeling

brixham to torquay via seafront then along this road to newton abbot to get a train into exeter

or
brixham to exeter via coast roads

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

Crankarm said:
Ah ......... it all becomes clear now. As the others have said.

i was in the cycle lane are you saying when i hit traffic that i cannot pass the stationary cars up the inside?

Origamist

Legendary Member
rsvdaz said:
it varies depending how fit im feeling

brixham to torquay via seafront then along this road to newton abbot to get a train into exeter

or
brixham to exeter via coast roads

Brixham to Exeter must be about 25 miles each way. Good going. It's nice to have the shorter ride to Newton Abbot though on wet and windy days.

I used to do Plympton to Totnes...

BTW, you may be able to track the driver down as she might work in the hospital?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You can, but do it carefully, because sometimes they turn left, sometimes people open doors on you and hop out, etc. It's also best to take the lane across the junction to help prevent all kinds of potential collisions that are much more likely when you're riding across in the gutter.

If I'd lost a pair of bib shorts and a shirt down to roadrash, I'd be after that driver's details rapidly, that's about £120 worth. Besides which, there may be much more damaged that you don't find out about until later.

Crankarm

Guru
rsvdaz said:
i was in the cycle lane are you saying when i hit traffic that i cannot pass the stationary cars up the inside?

Oooooh ........... not something I would do without extreme caution. But since I don't commute by bicycle anymore you could totally ignore my advice. In your collision the driver should have at least indicated and checked that it was safe to cross the cycle lane before turning across it. It would appear she failed to keep an adequate look out.

Cycle lanes are double edged swords. A few are helpful whilst others invite disaster. Filtering up the inside is generally not recommended with or without cycle lane and if doing so use extreme caution. Be prepared to avoid or stop for vehicles that suddenly turn across your path.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

Origamist said:
Brixham to Exeter must be about 25 miles each way. Good going. It's nice to have the shorter ride to Newton Abbot though on wet and windy days.

I used to do Plympton to Totnes...

BTW, you may be able to track the driver down as she might work in the hospital?
30 miles ;)

35 miles if i dont fancy the hill going home going out of Shaldon and head inland to Newton

she had a kid in a car seat...i know there is a nursey on the newton road

Origamist

Legendary Member
rsvdaz said:

You can pass them on the inside, but you need to be vigilant, or you can lane split (between the two lanes of traffiic). If the vehicles start moving, slot into centre of the nearside lane (you'll want to try and get eye contact and give them a thank you wave if they let you in) - you don't want to be to the left of left turning traffic.

rsvdaz said:
Nobody is saying you can't but just be careful, it sets you up for things like today. On the left at best you're in a driver offside mirror (which is in the drivers peripheral vision) at worst you're in a blind spot; on the right you are in their nearside mirror (closer to the drivers central field of vision) and are more likely to be noticed. Neither is perfect though and sometimes its just better to wait behind for a few seconds; the old adage better to arrive late than not at all.

This is only a guess, but looking at streetview there appears to be a hospital on the left, in addition to the fact that its a junction this triggers extra caution for me. Folk are often to busy thinking about their destination rather other folk on the road.

Norm

It sounds like you were riding up the left of a line of moving traffic in the approach to a left turn. That's one thing that I would never do.

dondare

Über Member
Avoiding a left hook in these circumstances can be achieved with very precise positioning and timing. But it's best to simply ignore the cycle lane and move out.

rusky

CC Addict
If I were you, I would thry to get to the junction early tomorrow & see if you can spot the car & get some details.

AnotherEye

My advice: always assume they're turning left regardless of the indicators.
I take the primary at junctions and wait my turn at the lights (which annoys some drivers) unless they've just turned red and I know that there is an ASL in which case I go 'round the outside to get to the front if I can.
After a nasty hit 20+ years ago I decided that I didn't want "I was in the right" on my tombstone!
If they find out who she is and she hasn't reported it; she'll be in trouble but don't feel sorry for her.

Top Bottom