I wish I could find the fun again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No but sometimes when overwhelmed by the sheer joy of cycling on a warm sunny day with birds singing I whoop a bit!

mustang1

Legendary Member
You've described the yo-yo effect. Yo-yo in your weight, yo-yo in your cycling interest. I'll recommend just two things:

1. Take up another form of cycling: MTB is great but there's track and various others.

2. Just wait it out until the yo-yo comes back and do something else in the meantime.

Ps .Different people have different yo-yo frequencies and wavelengths .

12boy

Guru
September last year I broke my pelvis in 3 places having not paid enough attention to a pothole on the overpass because a 18 wheeler was getting a little close. Was able to do 20 miles at a time by January and so began riding at my previous level although to this day I become irrationally terrified when crossing highways in bridges, even with wire mesh to prevent falling through. Apart from this I am pretty much the same as before. I have a few strategies in place, though...
I ride on paths as much as I can.
I obey traffic laws when on streets and wear a helmet and hi-vis jacket, or if hot, T-shirt
Even though I was riding it when I crashed I ride my Brompton a lot since I find it fun.
I find that changing bikes (I have a 1/2 dozen I ride regularly) keeps me focused.
I try to avoid riding with my head down in headwinds.
I try not to visualize accidents when riding as I find that makes me scared and tense and even more clumsy than normal.
I never wear earbuds since I rely on hearing cars and trucks.
I slow down for pedestrians and dogwalkers because they (the pedestrians ) usually wear ear buds and don't respond to warnings from me that I am approaching.
I use studded snow tires on ice and snow and have wheels for that purpose to switch out to when roads are slippery.
Lights fore and aft in poor light.
All stuff I suppose everyone does, and after taking reasonable precautions I just ride because not riding is also bad for my health.

Top Bottom