I wish I could find the fun again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First post after signing up to CC, and got an issue to ask about (sorry guys....)

Anyway, I`ve been cycling for a good many years, some better than others, but still I keep up a steady effort.

This year, started out without doubt my best year ever cycling and fitness wise, in fact at the strike of 12 at new year I was out on the bike - something I had always wanted to do, and did it feel amazing!

My mileage was up, and as the spring arrived my speeds were creeping up. Then in April I joined Slimming World to get rid of some excess padding - I lost 2 stone over 8 weeks, was riding at 20mph average (it`s lumpy around here too), and covering 250+ miles per week. I was actually at the level I had craved for for years.

Then, in June I got hit by a car and thrown over the bonnet:sad:xx(

My bike was a write off, I had nothing worse than concussion and cuts/bruises, but my confidence, and enthusiasm haven`t come back. I ride as transport only now, there`s no interest in what I`m doing (tail between my legs), I`ve put on all the weight I lost, and my mileage is about a quarter of what it was up until that d*ckhead hit me. I`m terrified of junctions where there is a car waiting.

I really am desperate to get back to where I was but just can`t do it. Anybody had a similar situation, and how did you get out of it? Please don`t tell me "oh just get out there and ride", it`s not as easy as that - the crash has gone deep I`m afraid.

Look forward to any tips or hints, and thanks everybody:okay:

Sharky

Guru
I've been in similar situations, but everyone is different and reacts differently.

About 10 years ago, I was taken out by a car. Went over the bonnet and landed the other side. Was knocked unconscious and air lifted to hospital with broken bones. Took a while for the bones to sort themselves out, but I was back on the bike in due course and back to normal. As I was unconscious, I have no recollection of what happened, so has not put scary visions into my mind.

But on 1st Jan 2017, I went out and went down on black ice on a corner. I clearly remember the fall and the agony when I landed. Found out later that I had smashed my pelvis. I did get back to cycling and racing (TT's), but every time I go round corners now, I am petrified also when descending. It has got a bit better over the last 18mths, but I can easily understand your feelings.

The only tip is patience. Your mind has gone into "defensive" mode for self-preservation and needs to relearn what is safe or dangerous. Don't give up and perhaps stick to anti-clockwise circuits, where most junctions are left turns.

Good luck

Mrs M

Guru
I was knocked down as a pedestrian many years ago :B)
Busy traffic scares me and I tend to stick to shared cycle paths and quieter roads on my road bike.
Hubby bought me a Pashley cruiser style bike for my birthday a couple of years ago :smooch:
Very different to the roadie, heavy with 5 hub gears and a very different riding position, but so much fun to ride. Toddle along taking in the sights and sounds and just really enjoying the ride. Also go fat biking on holiday which is again a different cycling experience and great fun.
Maybe you could go off road, try mountain biking, or an e fat bike, just to have some fun without the worry :smile:
Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you get the cycling mojo back soon.
:bicycle:
xx

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I was taken out by a nob on a big roundabout some 20 odd years ago. I gave up the road bike after that and bought a mountain bike instead to spend as little time as possible on the roads. It kinda worked.
I found cycling to be fun again and did it to explore new trails rather than keeping fit.
I'm still terrified of most big roundabouts which isn't helped by the ever worsening driving standards but I do enjoy cycling for the most part.
Maybe try a different style of biking? Or just give it time. Your bike will still be there waiting for you to thrash it again. And maybe forget about being fitter to go faster and further for a while...just enjoy it for the simple pleasure a bike can bring...riding around :smile:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I moved from skinny 700c road wheels after a few scary events on the road, and had a road / tour bike made for fat 650b tyres.
My renewed confidence and comfort levels on the road have brought a great deal of fun back into the pursuit. Like others will say, time and patience, and change up and mix what and where you ride.
Built an old Surly road frame into a cx hack for little money and a good thrash over the moors, covered in grit and mud can be just as rewarding as a ton run to the coast and back

I had an idiot go head on to me at 70mph. I was waving my arm to get his attention and his car went under it.
That put me off for ages. Then one day I just snapped and rode that road again. I'm stubborn and that day I was just ready.
Cycling has always been my escape and my release and I just can't go too long without it. In the end that drive won over the fear. I decided that I wasn't going to let that prick ruin my love of cycling.

Having said all that I'm still over cautious, and always looking for the next idiot.

How about you get a mountain or cross bike and play round in the woods, on tracks, down canals for now? Get that love for riding back without worrying about the nect junction or tensing up ehen you hear a car? Off road riding does wonders fir fitness as well, it is a bit like natural interval training.
This is pretty much exactly the advice I would have offered.

OP
OP
I

Ilovehills

Apologies for the delay in replying. Thanks for the replies and advice everybody.

I think I`m just going to "survive" the winter out, as it`s the wrong time of year to try and do anything else unfortunately. I was actually thinking of getting a mountain bike - I`ve got some vouchers for my favourite bike shop, so that could be a plan^_^^_^

I can also ride to work, mostly off-road if I want to with a mtb, sounds like this plan is coming together, why didn`t I think of this before, DOH!!

I live right on the Dartmoor boundary, so no shortage of playground. I`m a born and bred roadie and not much good at the rough stuff, but I can learn :bicycle:

A trip to the shop could be on the cards next weekend.................

boydj

Legendary Member
When I had an incident on my commute, which didn't happen very often, I found I got angry rather than scared and I never contemplated not cycling the commute. But we're all different and I can understand people finding it difficult to carry on.

Maybe it's my background in that cycling was the only way to get around when I was younger. Or the fact that when I started commuting by bike I did the bikeability training and qualified as a cycle trainer and understood the need to cycle confidently and assertively - I've had drivers tell me they find it easier to deal with cyclists who look like they know what they're doing.

These days I still find cycling a great way of exercising, relaxing and de-stressing, whether it's on a solo run, or the Sunday club run. And the wife's always glad to get me out of the house for a few hours.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maybe it's my background in that cycling was the only way to get around when I was younger. Or the fact that when I started commuting by bike I did the bikeability training and qualified as a cycle trainer and understood the need to cycle confidently and assertively - I've had drivers tell me they find it easier to deal with cyclists who look like they know what they're doing.

This is so true. I motor-biked for 12 years and I still ride the bicycle like a motorbike, asserting my right to the road but I also acknowledge drivers and let them pass. Never had a nasty incident with a car but most of my riding is on quiet country roads.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After I had a nasty fall on the road I switched to mountain biking for a couple of weeks until I crashed even more heavily into a tree. I switched back to the road at that point and just took it easier on icy mornings.

Top Bottom