i won't be around much

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Cuteness alert!

lamb Shaun.jpg

Shaun (sorry don't know how to turn it the right way)

lamb Alex.jpg

Alex (and a bit of Mum who is called Big Julie)

(because she has huge knockers, if you were wondering)

classic33

Leg End Member
Cuteness alert!
Better?
lamb Shaun1.jpg

Shaun (sorry don't know how to turn it the right way)

lamb Alex1.jpg

Alex (and a bit of Mum who is called Big Julie)

(because she has huge knockers, if you were wondering)

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I'm not optimistic. Looks like she's only having the one and frankly it's looking a bit weedy and floppy. We'll have to see if it's still alive in the morning, it could surprise us.

@young Ed, have you seen much Schmallenberg around? I can't see anything outwardly wrong, limbs all there and flexing but I wonder if it's just a duff one. :sad: That's the thing about lambing, can be great and can be a real downer. Usually a mixture of both, to be fair.
not any round round here i think

how many born, how many lost and how many left to lamb for you?

i'm all done down here, my 2 have lambed with no losses yet :biggrin: both Lleyn (the breed, Welsh) i think by the looks of them (farmer who's rams covered ,mine doesn't use crayons so not sure which ram covered them) and both ewe labs (girls) so if i'm right about the breed they shall be kept for breeding and i will buy in some weathers (castrated male lambs) to fatten up for the freezer :smile:

sorry i was a bit late replying just been busy and distracted TBH
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
not any round round here i think

how many born, how many lost and how many left to lamb for you?

i'm all done down here, my 2 have lambed with no losses yet :biggrin: both Lleyn (the breed, Welsh) i think by the looks of them (farmer who's rams covered ,mine doesn't use crayons so not sure which ram covered them) and both ewe labs (girls) so if i'm right about the breed they shall be kept for breeding and i will buy in some weathers (castrated male lambs) to fatten up for the freezer :smile:

sorry i was a bit late replying just been busy and distracted TBH
Cheers Ed
Not surprised you were late replying - lambing is a job and a half on a proper scale!

Your Lleyn crosses will be great I'm sure, whatever the sire - our Gotland crosses are good because they will eat anything - browse a bit like goats - so they feed well even if the grass is poor. They can be a bit flighty due to the primitive nature coming through but they settle down. Glad to hear your 2 lambed well!

Alas one of our pure-bred Dorsets lost both her lambs (as reported above) and then one of our Dorset first-timers had a huge single lamb which she could not deliver and it died. Horrible early morning struggle, the ewe is ok though a bit traumatised. So we have 3 pairs of twins and one ewe (another first-timer but a cross) who still hasn't popped. They can be 2 weeks apart with our lax system (no teaser ram!) so even though I was worried she wasn't even up the duff, Mr G swears she will come good.

It's a funny old business!

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
pure Lleyn ewes here and ran with a Charallois ram and a Lleyn ram i think. i'm almost dead certain both lambs are a result of the Lleyn ram which the farmer was also very happy with (new ram for this season)

how many ewes and how many rams do you have?

think i won't buy any ewes in (unless i lose any) now until i leave college in summer 2017 as it really isn't ideal to have them lambing whilst i'm not even about and at school/college. fortunately i have a very helpful, generous and knowledgeable boss a mile round the corner so if it does hit the fan whilst i'm not about he is the go to man :smile:

then in my final spring/summer of college in 2017 i think i'll go out and buy a load of ewe lambs to try and get the sheep bringing in some money :smile:
Cheers Ed

Ganymede

Veteran
pure Lleyn ewes here and ran with a Charallois ram and a Lleyn ram i think. i'm almost dead certain both lambs are a result of the Lleyn ram which the farmer was also very happy with (new ram for this season)

how many ewes and how many rams do you have?

think i won't buy any ewes in (unless i lose any) now until i leave college in summer 2017 as it really isn't ideal to have them lambing whilst i'm not even about and at school/college. fortunately i have a very helpful, generous and knowledgeable boss a mile round the corner so if it does hit the fan whilst i'm not about he is the go to man :smile:

then in my final spring/summer of college in 2017 i think i'll go out and buy a load of ewe lambs to try and get the sheep bringing in some money :smile:
Cheers Ed
Sounds like a plan! We have a tiny flock - 6 ewes and a teg who will lamb next year. But we are retiring one of the old ewes as she really is past it now, we will keep her because she is a great "flock mother" as it were. We use a friend's ram as I wouldn't want to keep a ram, plus we would run out of grass with any more really.

Lambing is a commitment though, even with a small flock - it works for us as I like to be home planting the veg garden at that time of year anyway! We lamb late as we have no buildings.

Are you at/going to be at Hadlow?

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Sounds like a plan! We have a tiny flock - 6 ewes and a teg who will lamb next year. But we are retiring one of the old ewes as she really is past it now, we will keep her because she is a great "flock mother" as it were. We use a friend's ram as I wouldn't want to keep a ram, plus we would run out of grass with any more really.

Lambing is a commitment though, even with a small flock - it works for us as I like to be home planting the veg garden at that time of year anyway! We lamb late as we have no buildings.

Are you at/going to be at Hadlow?
sounds a nice small set up :smile: no ram here yet, i throw them in with my bosses, it does help to work for and get friendly with a few local farmers :tongue:

dads thinking of building a new 100X60ft barn so i'm considering emptying it over winter and then throwing every sheep i have in there for lambing and then just turn them out on to rented grazing

and yeah hadlow is where i'm heading, come september if i have 5 A*-D grades i will do one year of level to agri and then 2 years of level agricultural engineering or if i have 5 A*-C in september i will go straight for 2 years level 3 agricultural engineering
then after that hopefully get a job in the workshop of a big massey ferguson or john deere etc dealership for a few years to earn together the money to go and set up my own farm properly and become a part time self employed mobile ag mechanic
Cheers Ed

Ganymede

Veteran
sounds a nice small set up :smile: no ram here yet, i throw them in with my bosses, it does help to work for and get friendly with a few local farmers :tongue:

dads thinking of building a new 100X60ft barn so i'm considering emptying it over winter and then throwing every sheep i have in there for lambing and then just turn them out on to rented grazing

and yeah hadlow is where i'm heading, come september if i have 5 A*-D grades i will do one year of level to agri and then 2 years of level agricultural engineering or if i have 5 A*-C in september i will go straight for 2 years level 3 agricultural engineering
then after that hopefully get a job in the workshop of a big massey ferguson or john deere etc dealership for a few years to earn together the money to go and set up my own farm properly and become a part time self employed mobile ag mechanic
Cheers Ed
Wow, sounds amazing! My nephew is hoping to go to Hadlow in September but he's doing tree surgery so I'm not sure you'll see him. Supposed to be a great place.

Our last lamb was born this morning so thank heavens for that - just a single boy, his mum seemed not to have any milk but he is actually feeding well, so I guess she's more of a 32A than a 44DD!

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
glad to here you've had your last :smile: :thumbsup:
so how many did you get in the end? how many boys and how many girls?
are you planning to keep any girls for breeding?
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom