I would give up cycling.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
... if I was living in Northumberland. We are spending a get away weekend in Rothbury and been exploring the area in the car today. Anywhere you go is full of hills, 13%, 16% and long ones too. Either I would give up cycling or buy an e bike! On the plus side, the place is spotless, no litter anywhere and beautiful scenery. We visited Alnwick castle and gardens today . Well worth it. Driving back home tomorrow.
@I like Skol would love riding round here. It would be a good test for his climbing skills.:okay:

Last edited:
I like riding in Northumberland, we stay just outside Bammburgh. I think it is pretty flat compared to Lancs and Yorks, but the roads are empty, lovely for cycling.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like riding in Northumberland, we stay just outside Bammburgh. I think it is pretty flat compared to Lancs and Yorks, but the roads are empty, lovely for cycling.
I was just thinking that ... I pick routes with 13-16% climbs when I can't face the steep ones - ha ha! :okay:

Having said that, I do fancy a cycling holiday in Northumberland some time.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
... if I was living in Northumberland. We are spending a get away weekend in Rothbury and been exploring the area in the car today. Anywhere you go is full of hills, 13%, 16% and long ones too. Either I would give up cycling or buy an e bike! On the plus side, the place is spotless, no litter anywhere and beautiful scenery. We visited Alnwick castle and gardens today . Well worth it. Driving back home tomorrow.
@I like Skol would love riding round here. It would be a good test for his climbing skills.:okay:
I did a 93 mile ride yesterday in Northumberland (I live here). It's cycling heaven!!!
And only 6,300 ft of climbing on yesterday's ride :smile:

There are flat bits nearer the coast, but they make for less interesting cycling imho

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I visit Northumberland regularly - but due to family commitments don't have the opportunity to cycle much/far when I'm there. Moving up there permanently is a possibility too, but the thing that strikes me is just how FEW roads and lanes there are compared with the southern counties. Isn't it easy to exhaust the route possibilities/options of an area pretty quickly? The A1 is an awkward barrier to E to W routes too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a 93 mile ride yesterday in Northumberland (I live here). It's cycling heaven!!!
And only 6,300 ft of climbing on yesterday's ride :smile:
I did a 53 mile ride yesterday in Lancashire (I live here, on the border with West Yorkshire). It's cycling heaven here too!!!
Coincidentally, only 6,300 ft of climbing on my ride yesterday too :smile: :okay:

PS My stepdaughter was up in Northumberland a couple of weeks ago and said it was very nice. She was walking rather than cycling, but it certainly made me add the area to my to-do list. (North Wales has a permanent place on the to-do-again list!)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I did a 53 mile ride yesterday in Lancashire (I live here, on the border with West Yorkshire). It's cycling heaven here too!!!
Coincidentally, only 6,300 ft of climbing on my ride yesterday too :smile: :okay:

PS My stepdaughter was up in Northumberland a couple of weeks ago and said it was very nice. She was walking rather than cycling, but it certainly made me add the area to my to-do list. (North Wales has a permanent place on the to-do-again list!)
If you ever come up this way @ColinJ gimme a shout ... be good to do a ride together, seeing as we didnae manage it last time :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Flatter towards the coast, as @Fnaar says.

My group did a loop from Jedburgh taking in Kelso which wasn't too hilly.

We rode around hills rather than up them, including a group called The Three something or others.

Fairly flat close to the River Tweed around Kelso.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yep, us poor souls from the fens, the biggest hills we face are minuscule. By the same token, any ride here will involve many sections of miles of no shelter and constant headwinds if you're unlucky, so no respite sometimes.
Probably as well i don't live in a hilly area, I've long since lost confidence on fast down hills of 30mph plus...speed shimmy seems to afflict almost any fast downhill now :blush::laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

The A1 is an awkward barrier to E to W routes too.
I live a lot lower down, but one of my regular rides crosses the A1 twice, they are both Bridleway's but no-way would I want to cross them with an equine friend, the Strava segment is called, Not how fast but how long you have to wait, or something like that, my times are from 2:32 to 9:55 the longest when I forgot & went one Friday afternoon & took my life in my hands to cross.

Top Bottom