I would give up cycling.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Love Northumberland :wub: We'd move up there in a heartbeat given the chance.

I took my road bike last year when we stayed in Boulmer. I didn't find it particularly hilly TBH, but I did find a lot of the back roads a tad narrow for my liking.

Next time we go up there I'll take the MTB and stay away from the roads.

To be fair I didn't have any incidents on the roads, just felt I'd be better off on the tracks and trails.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Flatter towards the coast, as @Fnaar says.

My group did a loop from Jedburgh taking in Kelso which wasn't too hilly.

We rode around hills rather than up them, including a group called The Three something or others.

Fairly flat close to the River Tweed around Kelso.
The Three Boobs of Flora McDonald :okay:

byegad

Legendary Member
I ride at Longridge Bike Rite every Easter and used to do the Wooler Bike Rite every October. there's a few hills but nothing like Western County Durham, let alone The North Yorks Moors* or Yorkshire Dales, them's proper hills.

*Fancy 33%, there's several to chose from.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Alnost anywhere rural would be better than where we live on the edge of the Lancashire mill towns. The roads are so busy, broken up and the standard of driving so appalling that we never ever venture south, all our rides go north into the Ribble Valley and Bowland Fells or the Dales. At least living surrounded by countryside we would have greater choice of direction, here it's like living next to the sea with 50% of the map out of consideration.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
... if I was living in Northumberland. We are spending a get away weekend in Rothbury and been exploring the area in the car today. Anywhere you go is full of hills, 13%, 16% and long ones too. Either I would give up cycling or buy an e bike! On the plus side, the place is spotless, no litter anywhere and beautiful scenery. We visited Alnwick castle and gardens today . Well worth it. Driving back home tomorrow.
@I like Skol would love riding round here. It would be a good test for his climbing skills.:okay:

We are currently in Bath for a week (hissing down today so no different to The Lakes where we live) and there are some horrendous hills hereabouts - there are a good number that we have driven up/down that I simply could not ride up. An Orbea Gain would be the minimum for me if I lived here - not that I would as to buy a decent detached house here would consume a fair chunk of our savings on top of the sale price of our Cumbrian home.

As an aside (inspired by your post); Bath is a nice and interesting city similar to Tunbridge Wells, where we used to live, but considerably bigger. Some nice architecture although a bit tatty around the edges. Relatively clean place. City feels safe at night. House prices are bonkers (see above). City prices for everything (drinks, food, attractions, taxis) are way ahead of what we are used to at home. Car parking is VERY limited unless you have a resident's permit, what there is is usually full first thing and if you are fortunate to find a space it is over-priced.

We are in Northumberland (Ellingham, Chathill) on holiday in August (Lovely Wife is going through a Vikings/Last Kingdom phase and wants to see the obvious castle) although I'm not taking my bike - will be glad to leave the instrument of torture at home, especially now you have said it is v.hilly.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
We are currently in Bath for a week (hissing down today so no different to The Lakes where we live) and there are some horrendous hills hereabouts - there are a good number that we have driven up/down that I simply could not ride up. An Orbea Gain would be the minimum for me if I lived here - not that I would as to buy a decent detached house here would consume a fair chunk of our savings on top of the sale price of our Cumbrian home.

As an aside (inspired by your post); Bath is a nice and interesting city similar to Tunbridge Wells, where we used to live, but considerably bigger. Some nice architecture although a bit tatty around the edges. Relatively clean place. City feels safe at night. House prices are bonkers (see above). City prices for everything (drinks, food, attractions, taxis) are way ahead of what we are used to at home. Car parking is VERY limited unless you have a resident's permit, what there is is usually full first thing and if you are fortunate to find a space it is over-priced.

We are in Northumberland (Ellingham, Chathill) on holiday in August (Lovely Wife is going through a Vikings/Last Kingdom phase and wants to see the obvious castle) although I'm not taking my bike - will be glad to leave the instrument of torture at home, especially now you have said it is v.hilly.
As long as you stay to the east of the A1 there's plenty of fairly flat cycling country to enjoy both to the north of Chathill and down south to Alnwick and beyond towards Morpeth.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Flatter towards the coast, as @Fnaar says.

My group did a loop from Jedburgh taking in Kelso which wasn't too hilly.

We rode around hills rather than up them, including a group called The Three something or others.

Fairly flat close to the River Tweed around Kelso.

Sounds very nice, but not Northumberland.

I sometimes ride to Northumberland......

IMG_20170528_151906.jpg

IMG_20170528_155308.jpg

....but the views in the other direction are always more impressive. :okay:

IMG_20170808_152646.jpg

IMG_20170528_155410.jpg

Top Bottom