IAM Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoxed

Über Member
wesa said:
Can someone explain how (allowing for delivery costs) the book is cheaper from Amazon than it is from the IAM!

I guess Amazon can buy in bulk from the publisher, and also use their buying power to leverage favourable prices across a publishers range.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Isn't the IAM price for cycling membership, not just the book?

Andy 71

I'm sure this book is full of really sound advice (the IAM are top-notch), but this further illustrates how one group of road users (i.e. pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists) get so much training and public emphasis on safety, whereas the people who they are being trained/advised to avoid (i.e. private car/van drivers) get very very little.

For car drivers, I think there are only 1-2 sentences in the Highway Code about watching out for 2-wheelers, whereas if you take your Motorbike test or attend cycle training, you generally get it rammed into you ad nauseum.

Yes, two-wheelers are intrinsicly more vulnerable being less visible/stable and will always come off worse in a collision. Yes - any sensible self-respecting two-wheeler should accept these vulnerabilities, behave accordingly and not take stupid risks, but aren't we missing something here? How are motorists encouraged to have same conversation with themselves, or consider the harm they can cause others through carelessness or downright impatience? What sort of message does it send out when a motorist kills or maims someone through carelessness, pleads hardship in court and gets to keep their licence?

BTW - I also drive a car, and speak from the view that a lot of my 2-wheel roadsense has been learnt from my experience as a cyclist, rather than by formal means when I was learning.

Top Bottom