Ian May cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonSchwann

Phew! :bravo:

The image I took of Ian's shop as it is now has since disappeared from this thread. Here it is again:

1239532_853038544711937_6844890089595489170_n_zpseaeooueb.jpg

Last edited:

gareth01244

Veteran
I have finished putting my bike back together and took it out on its first ride tonight, did 25k around the country lanes, not that different to my giant defy apart from the downtube shifting which I need to practice as I was a bit slow and wobbly at times. The bike so far has given me a lot of pleasure and I'm sure that now I am able to ride it it will continue to do so. Any one going to Eroica brittania with their bikes?

Attachments

• DSCF7433.jpg
    DSCF7433.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF7436.jpg
    DSCF7436.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 60

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just done a nice 26 miles on IMC044 i think the longer stem swap is just about spot on for comfort wise although i am just looking ahead of axle line i dont think it needs swapping so just need to swap the bar tape and cables over and thats it

WP_20150619_001.jpg

IncoherentJeff

I've got myself an Ian May, you may remember it was on eBay last November I picked it up but a test ride revealed a worrying clicking bottom bracket so it went into storage... but I've now got the time to start this project. ^_^

DSCF2875_zpswmu5ikw4.jpg

• It's a small 20" frame (C-C)
  • Inverted colours on the headbadge?
  • 700c wheels, judging by the clearance it originally had 28" wheels.
  • 3x Biospace-HP Mountain LX chainrings
  • Shimano Deore XT front deraillure
  • Shimano Exage 500L rear deraillure
  • Lamp mount on forks
  • Eyes for mudguards frame & forks
  • 4 paint colours; plain black, metallic blue, plain red and plain white
The frame number is currently obscured by the cable guide but I'm stripping her down tonight / tomorrow so I'll have a look soon. The rear tube just exploded rather impressively before taking the photos.

The suicide levers have to go and I need a slightly longer stem. I'm in two minds whether to find a longer stem or use the current stem with a pursuit bar I already have.

I'm thinking I'll strip it down for a full clean & re-grease, investigate the bottom bracket click, t-cut the paint and r-lacquer rather than a full respray. Then fit new brakes, brake levers and consumables (tubes, tyres, cables, pads etc..).

More photos: http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/DBXR/library/Ian May

gareth01244

Veteran
Still enjoying mine. I'm going to the good life festival near Chester on the 20th and L eroica are going to be there, they have announced a 25k ride for vintage bikes so I have signed up. Looking forward to seeing a pre 1987 pelaton in action. Only issue is its vintage clothing as well so I'm on the look out for a suitable Jersey to go with my Ian May.

gareth01244

Veteran
Rode my Ian May yesterday at a festival near me called the good life. The Eroica Britannia boys where there and they organised a 30k ride for fifty vintage bikes. Half way round we stopped to wait for the rest of the group to catch up and while we waited a group of club riders went past, the last rider slowed to talk to us and as he had a Liverpool accent I asked if he had heard of Ian May cycles and to my surprise he said yes and that they used to be in the same road club.
He shot of to catch up with the rest of his mates before I had chance to quiz him further.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
the last rider slowed to talk to us and as he had a Liverpool accent I asked if he had heard of Ian May cycles and to my surprise he said yes and that they used to be in the same road club.
He shot of to catch up with the rest of his mates before I had chance to quiz him further.

well done and what a great shame

Top Bottom