Ian May cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Took your advice Martin, ended up taking six links out before it stopped skipping, also had to replace the rim tape after the front tyre went flat, it had gone brittle with age and was well past its best. Changed the tyres as well while I was at it for some Vittoria pro but they don't look as good as the gumwall ones so may look out for some, any suggestions other than the Michelin dynamics?
panaracer pasela's ? gum wall and ride well IMHO. Its what I run on my ex Martin Peugeot.

gareth01244

Über Member
Your not the first person to mention the panaracer tyres, although I had forgotten about them so thanks will look into them especially as they seem to be available in sizes larger than 23c

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yep, I'm running 28's, from memory available in 23, 25 and 28mm

In a nod to the post below, I have thus far found the the Panaracers to be very durable, including on a bit of cross country through fields and woods when I had a bit of a navigational error and what I thought was a road turned into a bridle path.

Last edited:
Your not the first person to mention the panaracer tyres, although I had forgotten about them so thanks will look into them especially as they seem to be available in sizes larger than 23c

Veloflex Masters come in 25 mm. I have not had mine long but I can say two things, they roll VERY well and they get cut VERY easily. If you want a Sunday best tyre gum wall then great, if you are looking for something day to day then probably not.

Ribble and Wiggle both have them at a sensible price and you can get them in blue:smile:

Captain Cody

Hey All, I have unearthed an Ian May racing bike of indeterminate age from the back of my garage. It has 1534 stamped on the bottom bracket and a K on the top of the rear forks. Any ideas of its vintage? Is it one of his originals? It has lots of Campagnolo kit - very expensive in its day so must have been worthy of serious investment. Any ideas?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Captain Cody it seems that the ones he made were prefixed IMC and had just 3 digits , so unlikely to be one of his but its very hard finding info ......

Without pics hard to say age but between early 80's to mid 90's was the era the shop was open

pictures are needed please just so we can all dribble

and feel free to comment on my Facebook page In Appreciation Of Merseyside Bikes

what are your plans for it ????

RedRider

Pulling through
Veloflex Masters come in 25 mm. I have not had mine long but I can say two things, they roll VERY well and they get cut VERY easily. If you want a Sunday best tyre gum wall then great, if you are looking for something day to day then probably not.

Ribble and Wiggle both have them at a sensible price and you can get them in blue:smile:
May I ask what they're like to fit/remove? I've heard they're lever breakers which with the likelihood of punctures has put me off before now.

May I ask what they're like to fit/remove? I've heard they're lever breakers which with the likelihood of punctures has put me off before now.

They are :mrpig: :mrpig: To put on initially. The guidence is not to use levers and so I thumbed them on: the first was a long painful process, the second a shorter painful process:cry:. however, I am a soft southern office worker and your pain threshold may vary. Touch wood I have not had reason to take them off yet.

In terms of on the road repairs, I am thinking of getting one of those cans with the gunk that seals and inflates and then worry about the rest when I get home.

Is it worth the faff? Subjectively they are much better than the Vittorias which were on it before and certainly contribute to the feeling of "want to jump on it and ride it"

RedRider

Pulling through
They are :mrpig: :mrpig: To put on initially. The guidence is not to use levers and so I thumbed them on: the first was a long painful process, the second a shorter painful process:cry:. however, I am a soft southern office worker and your pain threshold may vary. Touch wood I have not had reason to take them off yet.

In terms of on the road repairs, I am thinking of getting one of those cans with the gunk that seals and inflates and then worry about the rest when I get home.

Is it worth the faff? Subjectively they are much better than the Vittorias which were on it before and certainly contribute to the feeling of "want to jump on it and ride it"
Thanks, they do look great as well. Hmm

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just done a nice 26 miles on IMC044 i think the longer stem swap is just about spot on for comfort wise although i am just looking ahead of axle line i dont think it needs swapping so just need to swap the bar tape and cables over and thats it

View attachment 96614

Heard back earlier this week from the new owner of IMC044 he completed this years L'Eroica on it and is talking about doing Tuscany's one next year on it

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just unpacked another Ian May badged machine, frame number looks to be 03325 so does not an Ian May made one .

WP_20160627_004.jpg
WP_20160627_007.jpg

It was the rear stays and fork profile that caught my eye.

WP_20160627_005.jpg
WP_20160627_006.jpg

Top Bottom