Ian May rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Finished prepping the frame this evening and gave it a coat of primer :okay: A few imperfections to deal with in the morning when its cured but pleased overall :smile:

20190518_224628.jpg
20190518_224818.jpg

I got a second coat of colour on the forks too which are looking rather good now :becool:

20190518_204628.jpg

wisdom

Guru
Are you using a spray gun or rattle can?Its looking good.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
haha thanks guys. It comes with plenty of experience of swearing whilst stripping off new paint in the past :laugh:

I've put a coat of Ivory on the fork lugs and sprayed the frame this evening :becool: I've used all the blue so I'm hoping there's no touching up to be done, otherwise I'll be ordering a new can and giving it another coat :laugh:

20190519_185503.jpg
20190519_191737.jpg

All being well I'll mask up the blue tomorrow evening once it's nicely cured and spray the lugs ivory to match the forks :okay:

I'm still waiting on the correct Reynolds decals so it'll be on hold until they arrive before i can apply them and laquer it up :becool: You wait, that'll be the bit where it all goes wrong :laugh:

midlife

Guru
Are you going for different coloured lugs?

funk2monk

It's going to need another coat, more paint ordered :rolleyes::laugh:
I'm really impressed with the finish you have achieved using a rattle can.:notworthy: I'm debating to do the same on an old Armstrong. What paint are you using?
I've seen this spray.bike paint which is apparently a dry powder coat application and seems to give a good finish. Has anyone used this before? They do a classic range of colours as well as fluorescent and standard colours. It is marketed as a non drip application?:headshake:
Looking forward to the finished pictures.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm really impressed with the finish you have achieved using a rattle can.:notworthy: I'm debating to do the same on an old Armstrong. What paint are you using?
I've seen this spray.bike paint which is apparently a dry powder coat application and seems to give a good finish. Has anyone used this before? They do a classic range of colours as well as fluorescent and standard colours. It is marketed as a non drip application?:headshake:
Looking forward to the finished pictures.

I used Spray.bike paint on my Bamboo Bike build, it is really easy to apply and drip free as they say. There are a number of photos of the bike being sprayed in my thread. The big but though, is in the fact that the paints are matt finish and in order to get a nice shiny finish, you need to to spray several coats of Laquer over the top and even then, I'm not sure that you would get the fully depth of colour you see here. Also the Laquer is defiantly not drip free and quite difficult to get a good finish with. It's probably much easier to leave everything as a matt finish, or just spray a couple of coats of Laquer and go for a satin finish.

@JhnBssll, this is a lovely build though and the finish is really good. Can't wait to see the finished frame.

Top Bottom