Ian May rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Well the lug painting isn't perfect but it's certainly good enough - the paint has crept under the tape in a couple of places but it's only minimal and you have to be up close to see it :laugh: For my first effort at painting a bicycle frame I'm going to say its good enough :laugh:

20190526_145338.jpg
20190526_145325.jpg
20190526_145312.jpg

Next job is to infill the holes in the lugs with the gold enamel paint and a small brush, then I'll give it a wipe down to degrease it and lacquer it :okay: I'm resisting the temptation to 'fix' the imperfections because when I have tried to do so in the past I've made things much worse :laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well the lug painting isn't perfect but it's certainly good enough - the paint has crept under the tape in a couple of places but it's only minimal and you have to be up close to see it :laugh: For my first effort at painting a bicycle frame I'm going to say its good enough :laugh:

View attachment 468163 View attachment 468164 View attachment 468165

Next job is to infill the holes in the lugs with the gold enamel paint and a small brush, then I'll give it a wipe down to degrease it and lacquer it :okay: I'm resisting the temptation to 'fix' the imperfections because when I have tried to do so in the past I've made things worse :laugh:

Looks great. What brand of paint are you using?

One way I found for lining around the lugs was to paint in the edges as best as I could using enamel with a small paintbrush and then to run my finger back over it . A bit like smearing it .
Enamel paint uses a different solvent to cellulose or acrylic paint so any mistakes can be removed using white spirit on a rag.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
One way I found for lining around the lugs was to paint in the edges as best as I could using enamel with a small paintbrush and then to run my finger back over it . A bit like smearing it .
Enamel paint uses a different solvent to cellulose or acrylic paint so any mistakes can be removed using white spirit on a rag.

I'm using a similar technique to infill the lug holes - I'm using gold metallic enamel paint and wiping off any errors :okay::laugh: Only downside is it takes an age to dry so have to wait a few hours before repositioning the frame for fear of it running :laugh:

20190526_165315.jpg

Since the messy bit is largely done for the time being I have had a tidy up in the garage whilst waiting for the enamel to dry... I've just put these bits to one side for a bit of spit and polish later, I'll probably strip and rebuild the hubs at some point too :okay:

20190526_170933.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The gold is an interesting choice, it’ll look fab I think, but I think I would have infilled in blue.

Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Top Bottom