Ian May rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm home from a tough 3 day training course. What better way to relax and unwind than retire to the garage for some polishing :laugh:

Brake calipers first, for no other reason than they happened to be top of the pile of bits on the work bench. I used a dremel and some polishing compound and was able to get a fairly good finish relatively quickly - I'm not aiming for perfection, just a bit of shine to the original patina :okay:

20190530_223423.jpg
20190530_220245.jpg

Next on the pile was the rear mech so it got the same treatment and on it went...

20190530_223437.jpg

Next up were the hubs which is where I have hit another stumbling block. Whilst I checked them over on arrival, after a clean and polish I've found 2 hairline cracks in the body of the rear hub :sad: I suspect its scrap which is rather sad.

20190530_225724.jpg

Anyway i popped them on...

20190530_230031.jpg

I also test fitted the saddle and temporary seat post (I have a shinier one on the way :laugh:)...

20190530_230939.jpg
20190530_231029.jpg

I've arranged to have the lbs press the headset cups in on Saturday. Normally I would bang them in with a lump of wood and a hammer but they have a press that will be kinder on the soft rattlecan paint :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spent a few minutes in the garage this afternoon as a few more bits had arrived... I loosely assembled a few bits to see what she looks like then broke it down again ready for headset installation tomorrow :okay:

20190531_151847.jpg
20190531_153308.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Headset is in :okay: I had to create a makeshift crown race out of part of another headset but it seems to work a treat :laugh:

I've ordered spokes so hopefully I'll be able to build the wheels in the near future. I've also ordered a cartridge bottom bracket as it seems I cant get a spindle the right length for the one I've got :rolleyes: It was that or replace the chainset with an older one but I rather like the one I've got :laugh:

My current dilemma is whether to go with black or white brake cable outers... I'm erring towards white at the moment... Please excuse the electrical tape on the fork crown, I didnt want to risk a brake/downtube interface ;)

20190601_194649.jpg
20190601_194724.jpg
20190601_194815.jpg

otek59

Headset is in :okay: I had to create a makeshift crown race out of part of another headset but it seems to work a treat :laugh:

I've ordered spokes so hopefully I'll be able to build the wheels in the near future. I've also ordered a cartridge bottom bracket as it seems I cant get a spindle the right length for the one I've got :rolleyes: It was that or replace the chainset with an older one but I rather like the one I've got :laugh:

My current dilemma is whether to go with black or white brake cable outers... I'm erring towards white at the moment... Please excuse the electrical tape on the fork crown, I didnt want to risk a brake/downtube interface ;)

View attachment 468943 View attachment 468944 View attachment 468942
It just gets better and better, it’s good to see it out of the garage

otek59

White is more 'elegant' imo.
That's what I did on mine anyway.
plus 1 for white

Top Bottom