Ian May rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Got the bottom bracket, chainset and front mech installed today :okay: LBS had to help with the chainset by putting a recess into the chainstay so the inner ring cleared. Longer BB axle would have put the chain line out. No idea how it was before but should run sweet now :laugh:

20190608_152729.jpg
20190608_152701.jpg

Now waiting on spokes so I can build the wheels up then fit the freewheel, chain and gear cables ready for a final tweak ^_^:becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Did you see how they recessed the chainstay?

Yes I watched him do it, he used a pair of mole grips that he had modified with a profiled form to create the recess on one side and a flat plate on the other to spread the load. I was worried when he said he was going to use mole grips at first but when I saw the device he had created I was impressed by its elegance and it has come our rather well :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Progress today! I got an email at work from DHL saying they had left a parcel behind my gate. I knew it was the spokes I'd been waiting for so I couldnt wait to get home :laugh:

I started building up the front wheel first, repacked the hub with grease and started lacing...

20190613_182234.jpg

20190613_184017.jpg

With the front built up I started on the rear. First I whipped the axle out and moved a 5mm spacer from the non drive side to the drive side to make space for the 6-speed freewheel. I repacked the bearings with grease, reassembled and again started lacing...

20190613_210610.jpg
20190613_214646.jpg

Rim tape fitted to both wheels, tyres popped on to the rims and... Oh bum. No 23mm inner tubes :laugh: I'll have to pick some up tomorrow :laugh:

This didnt stop me popping the tyres on fully and fitting the wheels so I could trim the chain to length and fit it...

20190613_220309.jpg

Why stop there? I had all the other bits, so I've now fitted the gear cables and pedals, indexed the gears and adjusted the brakes :okay: Once the inner tubes go in tomorrow she's all ready for a test ride :ohmy::becool:

20190613_225538.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Lovely. Looks smashing.

otek59

Progress today! I got an email at work from DHL saying they had left a parcel behind my gate. I knew it was the spokes I'd been waiting for so I couldnt wait to get home :laugh:

I started building up the front wheel first, repacked the hub with grease and started lacing...

View attachment 470618
View attachment 470617
With the front built up I started on the rear. First I whipped the axle out and moved a 5mm spacer from the non drive side to the drive side to make space for the 6-speed freewheel. I repacked the bearings with grease, reassembled and again started lacing...

View attachment 470616 View attachment 470615

Rim tape fitted to both wheels, tyres popped on to the rims and... Oh bum. No 23mm inner tubes :laugh: I'll have to pick some up tomorrow :laugh:

This didnt stop me popping the tyres on fully and fitting the wheels so I could trim the chain to length and fit it...

View attachment 470614

Why stop there? I had all the other bits, so I've now fitted the gear cables and pedals, indexed the gears and adjusted the brakes :okay: Once the inner tubes go in tomorrow she's all ready for a test ride :ohmy::becool:

View attachment 470613
AMAZING

Top Bottom