Ian May rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
As you may know I recently purchased this tired old Ian May masquerading as a Colnago.

20190510_180406.jpg

I thought I would start up a new thread to document its revival ^_^ I'll update it as I progress and it will give me a place to ask the daft questions I'm bound to have :okay::laugh: I'm currently mid-fettle but I'll pop the first update up shortly :smile:

wisdom

Guru
Looking forward to this thread.
Nice frame by the way.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thanks, I do love a good project and hope to have some fun with this one :laugh:

The plan is to strip the frame of paint and make any adjustments or changes before repainting it in blue and ivory, although this may change if my painting skills aren't up to the job :laugh: It's been a while since I last wielded a rattle can in anger :laugh:

Components have started turning up, I've been scouring eBay since I bought the frame and have a few decent bits on the way already. I've mostly gone for Campag Chorus as a middle of the road offering to match the middle of the road frame :laugh:

Hubs were first to arrive, I test fitted them this evening.

20190513_212020.jpg
20190513_212033.jpg

Great success, the hubs fit in the drop outs :laugh:

Next up were brakes. Here I encountered the first problem - the slightly more modern style brake calipers have the recessed nuts that require a larger diameter hole in the rear of the frame and forks but the frame had a 5mm hole all the way through. I considered using alternative calipers but I like the look of these and think they'll suit the overall style I'm aiming for so decided to machine out the frame and forks :ohmy: Sorry :laugh:

20190513_211909.jpg
20190513_211900.jpg

So with those first few bits fitted she looks like this...

20190513_212057.jpg
20190513_212001.jpg

Pleased with progress I decided to whip the bits off again and smear some nitromors on the downtube to see how stubborn the paint was going to be when I tackle it for real. Of course my small test patch soon turned in to the whole downtube and headtube :rolleyes::laugh:

20190513_222840.jpg
20190513_224118.jpg

The gold top layer of paint melted at the sight of the nitromors; the original red underneath it was far more stubborn but it comes away with some elbow grease and a wire brush. I suspect I'll spend a few evenings this week in the garage making a mess :okay: Here's how she's looking for now...

20190513_225910.jpg

20190513_234623.jpg

The frame fittings are far neater with the thick gold paint removed, it really is rather nice under there :becool: I'll post more pics as more bits arrive and more paint is removed :okay: I think I'll tackle the forks first as I'll be able to completely strip them, prime them and paint them fairly fast allowing me to see if the colours work as intended... Sounds like a plan anyway :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Some more progress this evening, I've managed to strip the last of the paint from the frame and forks :okay: The frame is in excellent shape bar one small dent on the top tube - I haven't decided if I'm going to leave it as evidence of battles won or fill it yet. I suspect I'll fill it :whistle:

20190514_222543.jpg
20190514_215302.jpg
20190515_002241.jpg

Next up for the frame is some rust treatment in a few patches then a clean and degrease before priming ^_^

I managed to source some Ian May decals on eBay which arrived today :okay: I've just ordered some new Reynolds decals as the original was different to the one that has come with the set and I may as well do it right :okay::laugh:

20190514_204144~2.jpg

Thats all for now, more updates as I progress :smile:

wisdom

Guru
Loving this one.keep em coming.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had a few hours spare this evening so I spent a bit of time in the garage. Progress today:

Filled the dent in the top tube, might need another skim but I'll prime it first and see.

20190517_222714.jpg

I sanded the remnants of the old primer off about half of the frame, I'll hopefully finish the other half over the weekend. Once sanded there are a few spots of rust to treat before priming.

20190517_222707.jpg
20190517_222730.jpg

I got a lot done on the forks - I sanded them back to bare metal then rust treated the few small spots. With that all cleared up I cleaned and degreased them before priming them...

20190517_222621.jpg
20190517_222647.jpg
20190517_222630.jpg

I'll give them a light sand with P1200 when I get a chance then give them a colour coat and see how they look ^_^

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
@JhnBssll lugs and top cable guide look very similar to mine , is the tubing normal profile or squashed aero like mine ?

The tubes are round, not squashed. Had an exciting development today - I finished sanding the bottom bracket area ready for rust treatment and found this...

20190518_114411.jpg

"014 IMC" :ohmy: So it would appear it's a real Ian May made by Ian himself, and potentially only the 14th one he made :ohmy: I think I may need to take a bit more care of it now :laugh:

Anyway, forks have their first colour coat this morning... The blue looks rather nice :okay:

20190518_115114.jpg

I need to do some digging now I have the frame number to see if I can find out anything more about the bike :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The tubes are round, not squashed. Had an exciting development today - I finished sanding the bottom bracket area ready for rust treatment and found this...

"014 IMC" :ohmy: So it would appear it's a real Ian May made by Ian himself, and potentially only the 14th one he made :ohmy: I think I may need to take a bit more care of it now :laugh:

Anyway, forks have their first colour coat this morning... The blue looks rather nice :okay:

View attachment 466947

I need to do some digging now I have the frame number to see if I can find out anything more about the bike :okay:

Ooh very interesting indeed

Top Bottom