ICE 2010 lineup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wildduck

The Vortex utilises some some scarily light SRAM XX componentry - I sure the stuff is made from fairy dust! (examined some of this when I was done in the factory a few weeks ago). I sense they're very proud of this model seeing it as a replacement for the Monster of old (which they still have on show in their stairwell).

I'm dreading the price though; SRAM XX is not cheap!

Wildduck

...actually now I think more about the visit, I think I remember a converstaion about two levels of components and a figure of £3k - can't remember though whether that's the XX model or the Vortex with the slightly 'lower' grade materials.

Must remember to slow down on my trike and stop blasting those brain cells on those fast downhills......

byegad

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
ICE have blantely copied the designs of Catrike. Disc brakes instead of drum, and a 700cc wheel. Think they have finally caught onto the idea that people may want to go fast rather then plod along on a 20'' wheel.

They have to be careful with the frame design when using a 700cc wheel because of the lateral force imposed.

Discs have been an option for a long time on ICE trikes. With the SA being virtually a fit and forget component I can't see the need for discs. As to speed and big wheels, I think the jury's out on that one, Dr Moulton proved suspended small wheels are at least as quick as big wheels at least on road. Also you still have the majority of the trike weight on 20" wheels even with a big back wheel.

User3143 said:
ICE have blantely copied the designs of Catrike. Disc brakes instead of drum, and a 700cc wheel. Think they have finally caught onto the idea that people may want to go fast rather then plod along on a 20'' wheel.

They have to be careful with the frame design when using a 700cc wheel because of the lateral force imposed.

As I intimated ealier there are two similar models on the Catrike range, The Expedition and 700:

Expedition

E13_JPG.jpg

716_JPG.jpg

There is a lot of heated discussion on both BentRiderOnline and the Catrike Forum as to whether the extra speed from the 700 is worth the decrease in strength of the wheel. The popular answer is that for the average rider similarly shod Trikes that there is little difference in performance.

Some have actually bought one model and then changed the wheels as they wanted the inclined seat!

I know Trice had a possibility of fitting either wheel on the rear on the 26 series - this may be the answer

byegad

Legendary Member
With Trice either back end fits the same trike so you can ring the changes, at a price!

Unsuspended big wheel or suspended small wheel the angle of the rest of the trike stays the same!

Top Bottom