Ice cold in Alex...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The love scene between Anson and Diana had to be re-shot after the British censor decided that Sylvia Syms had too many buttons undone on her blouse, revealing too much cleavage. Censor John Nicholls had already requested over 80 alterations to the script before shooting and, following protests by director J. Lee Thompson, he was eventually replaced as BBFC chief by John Trevelyan in May 1958. Other additional dialogue cuts included the removal of the phrase 'made a balls of it' and the overdubbing of 'bloody good old bitch'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053935/trivia

midlife

Guru
One of my fave films, eldest lads middle name is Alex :smile:

My sister's name is the same as the star of Black Narcissus who my dad thought was beyond compare, apart from my mum of course lol

Shaun

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's one of those truly great films that's perfect in every way. Just the acting - who's the star?- well all of them are excellent as an ensemble. The photography is stunning, not least the bar scene. And the effort of cranking the van up the sand dune by hand ! Plot, pace and story likewise just perfect

There's this, too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNzW7bM_3XVU7awkFY5KrToye0pWSNOWC5VokYXCUtgdHK39uulQ.jpg

I don't remember it, either, and I've seen the film seven times.
I think this scene is in the DVD. A lot of the WW2 films were given away in a daily paper a few years ago.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie
Sakarra Gold is marginally better, it's a straightforward / standard local lager with none too much of a flavour to speak of, but it's not as bad as Stella Star and it's okay for quenching a thirst without making you pull funny faces from the aftertatse. As you're finding, Egyptians don't really do beer. Possibly why that nice John Mills chap chose Carlsberg!
Happy to take a recommendation ...
image.jpeg

perplexed

Guru
In passing: I always thought Harry Andrews (left in picture - albeit I only really remember his roles here and against Sean Connery in The Hill) had a magnetism about him that made me surprised he didn't attain greater stardom.

I really liked him in Zulu... He played the Welsh soldier who didn't properly latch the gate where the livestock were kept, hence the 'stampede' later in the film...

Zulu_02.jpg

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
On a side note.

Im rather surprised that Sylvia Syms who played Sister Diana Murdoch In the movie was still acting up and till 2014. Bloody marvelous!

Top Bottom