ICE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As in "In Case of Emergency".

The thread on the poor guy from Abingdon reminded me to check my ICE marker. Simply a post-it with appropriate details tucked away in the corner of my pack with the PFairy kit.
All present and correct. On my phone also.
What do you do?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Phone. Has been for years and as Mrs B insists I carry it with me when on my bike, I don't see the need for additional notes elsewhere.

Coincidentally, a couple of months ago the topic of the entry on my phone came up in a discussion we and my children were having. Mrs B thought it referenced another name I sometimes use for her, which alludes to her skin being a lot paler than mine and her tendency to be colder than me. :rolleyes:

Sharky

Guru
It does worry me sometimes. On the one occasion in the past when I was air lifted to a London hospital, I had been on my commute to work and had been carrying my wallet with bank cards and driving licence, so the police had no difficulty finding out where I lived and they even brought my bike home to my OH.

On short journeys, I sometimes don't carry anything apart from my phone, but I am usually wearing a club top, so that would help to identify me.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have ICE set up on my phone but also have a credit card sized pouch with an ID card plus money for cake and emergencies (and emergency cake) in it.
I don’t rely solely on a mobile. What use would it be if it got smashed?

Good move - still have mine somewhere...
:biggrin:

C R

Guru
I have a dog tag type thing that says I am diabetic, but doesn't have my name on it. I have been thinking about getting one with my name and Mrs C R contact details, I really should get on and do it. I also have the Mrs C R mobile number on my mobile lock screen, but as @PeteXXX that may not be much use if it gets smashed.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Phone screen displays ICE when locked, and I have a business card with other details like blood group, date of birth, ICE and suchlike printed on the reverse in my minimalist wallet.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I did see summat somewhere on how to edit the screen display on Garmins to show what you want to show. Not sure if I can do the same on my ELEMNT though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My mum sews my name into all my underpants........
Actually, being serious for once, I have been in this situation myself earlier in the year.
I got knocked off my bike cycling home from work one evening and as a result suffered a broken neck, fractured skull and was knocked unconscious. By all accounts I came around pretty quickly and even got up! I have no recollection of this or the next 20-30 minutes but apparently despite being a bit dazed (unsurprisingly!) I was pretty good at giving the emergency services my name, wife's name, home phone number and address. It was about 15 minutes after my expected arrival time and my wife was just starting to worry when she got the call. It still nearly brings me to tears to type this 3 months later, when I think about her getting that call and what it could have been if things had been worse!
Anyway, back on topic. If I hadn't been able to give details myself I do have a few back up methods that should be enough to identify me, even if it takes a bit of detective work by the police to do so.

1. My work pass card has company name with my name and picture. I will always have this with me when travelling to/from work.
  2. My phone doesn't have an ICE contact saved but it doesn't need a PIN to access it so simply dialling HOME (we all save our own landline number as HOME don't we?) or one of the recent/frequently dialled numbers should get through to someone that will know who the phone belongs to. If not then the SIM card is registered to my name so that can also be used, even if the phone is broken.
  3. My cycling keys (the key to get into the house through the bike shed door & keys for bike locks) also has a tough metal USB memory stick attached. On this is a Notepad document that has my name, email and mobile number (No address as keeping my address with the house key would be plain stupid!). Should I lose it and the keys I might hopefully get them back. I have just added my wife's mobile number as an ICE contact, but not the home phone number because Googling that brings up my address).
  4. My Garmin only gets used for bigger leisure rides so I don't often have it with me when cycling, but just in case of theft it also has a Notepad document similar to my USB. If the police connected the Garmin to a computer and browsed the files they would see one called OWNER and this does include name address and other contact details to help it get back to me should it be lost or stolen/recovered. I have also recently edited the start-up screen to include my contact info as covered in THIS THREAD.
  5. I may have my bank cards with me, but again not always. I usually do take one if going for a bigger ride, just in case.
I don't make sure to have all or any of these each time I go riding so could actually end up like the individual in the case that has prompted this thread. I don't have an I.D form that I carry each time but rely on the probability that at least one of the above will allow me to be identified and next of kin informed should the worst ever happen. :sad:

Actually, being serious for once, I have been in this situation myself earlier in the year.
I got knocked off my bike cycling home from work one evening and as a result suffered a broken neck, fractured skull and was knocked unconscious. By all accounts I came around pretty quickly and even got up! I have no recollection of this or the next 20-30 minutes but apparently despite being a bit dazed (unsurprisingly!) I was pretty good at giving the emergency services my name, wife's name, home phone number and address. It was about 15 minutes after my expected arrival time and my wife was just starting to worry when she got the call. It still nearly brings me to tears to type this 3 months later, when I think about her getting that call and what it could have been if things had been worse!
Anyway, back on topic. If I hadn't been able to give details myself I do have a few back up methods that should be enough to identify me, even if it takes a bit of detective work by the police to do so.

1. My work pass card has company name with my name and picture. I will always have this with me when travelling to/from work.
  2. My phone doesn't have an ICE contact saved but it doesn't need a PIN to access it so simply dialling HOME (we all save our own landline number as HOME don't we?) or one of the recent/frequently dialled numbers should get through to someone that will know who the phone belongs to. If not then the SIM card is registered to my name so that can also be used, even if the phone is broken.
  3. My cycling keys (the key to get into the house through the bike shed door & keys for bike locks) also has a tough metal USB memory stick attached. On this is a Notepad document that has my name, email and mobile number (No address as keeping my address with the house key would be plain stupid!). Should I lose it and the keys I might hopefully get them back. I have just added my wife's mobile number as an ICE contact, but not the home phone number because Googling that brings up my address).
  4. My Garmin only gets used for bigger leisure rides so I don't often have it with me when cycling, but just in case of theft it also has a Notepad document similar to my USB. If the police connected the Garmin to a computer and browsed the files they would see one called OWNER and this does include name address and other contact details to help it get back to me should it be lost or stolen/recovered. I have also recently edited the start-up screen to include my contact info as covered in THIS THREAD.
  5. I may have my bank cards with me, but again not always. I usually do take one if going for a bigger ride, just in case.
I don't make sure to have all or any of these each time I go riding so could actually end up like the individual in the case that has prompted this thread. I don't have an I.D form that I carry each time but rely on the probability that at least one of the above will allow me to be identified and next of kin informed should the worst ever happen. :sad:

Bloomin' 'eck, that's a nasty! As someone recovering from a much lesser 'off', hope all is well!

Top Bottom