I'd like some diet advice please......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been locked in a battle with my body for just about all my life with regards to my weight. I've done the diets, I've been to WW, (lost 56lbs), put it all back on, tried this, tried that you get the picture.

I've just been reading up on metabolism and it would appear that I have a fat & protein efficient one, OK then?

There are also claims that you should NEVER consume Orange Juice, Artificial Sweeteners, Wholemeal bread, fake butters and soy products. What happened to everything in moderation?

There does seem to be a logic there, but is this just another fad do you think?

So, is it worth trying to eat in a specific way that may help to supercharge my metabolsim, and if so does anyone have any meal plans suitable for doing such a thing?

I know the answer is to consume less calories than you expend, and I'm not looking for a quick fix wonder diet as I know they don't exist. I just want to get things sorted, and preferably before I hit 40, and if I can help it along in anyway it's all good.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Accept your weight but convert the fat into muscle would be my advice.

ASC1951

Guru
So, is it worth trying to eat in a specific way that may help to supercharge my metabolism..
Unless there is something very unusual about yours, no.

I know the answer is to consume less calories than you expend, and I'm not looking for a quick fix wonder diet as I know they don't exist. I just want to get things sorted, and preferably before I hit 40, and if I can help it along in anyway it's all good.
There no short cuts, although there is a £squillion industry dedicated to persuading you otherwise.
Eat better, eat less.It's pretty much all here http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
IME people "naturally chubby" like me :sad: have no choice but to go hungry a bit sometimes.
Either that, or accept your body.
Diet plans are good if you manage to keep to them even after you lost weight.
Food to supercharge metabolism? Don't know about that, I thought activity was needed, Smokey!

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I too have battled just as my grandad and dad have also...I'm told by family it's just the way we are, some people burn it off, some people store it and the only way to change it is to up the calories in vs burnt off ratio to a higher level.

I'm trying to stop my bad habits for at least three weeks out of four but work is stressful at the mo so a bit of comfort eating creeps in. It's hard but stick with it!

musa

Über Member
Change your mindset your habits exercise more I would say go to the gym but not everyone's a gym fanatic like me and plenty of water. Avoid teas coffees or as they say be in moderation. And if you can't go no lower maintain what you have and tone up

Arch

Married to Night Train
There are also claims that you should NEVER consume Orange Juice, Artificial Sweeteners, Wholemeal bread, fake butters and soy products. What happened to everything in moderation?

That's such an odd list of seemingly unrelated foods that I'd be deeply suspicious of it, sounds like baloney. Never eat wholemeal bread?:blink: Avoiding artificial sweeteners is probably wise, but more out of an avoidance of unnatural chemicals.

Like others, I tend towards chubby, and my most successful year in terms of losing weight and keeping it off was the year I cycled most, and started a very physical job, a couple of years ago - I lost a stone (and have since put about half a stone back on) I also have a tendency to snack and comfort eat (often giving myself larger portions of carbs like pasta than I need) unless I'm deliberately fierce with myself. The only answer for me is to eat less....

RaRa

I tend to be of the opinion that you can eat anything you want but it's all about portion control. I had almost zero control in this area which is how I ended up so big. I can still remember the horror of finding out just how small a portion really was. I still struggle now but the two things I would recommend you do is get smaller plates and weigh/measure everything until you can recognise the correct amounts.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I tend to be of the opinion that you can eat anything you want but it's all about portion control. I had almost zero control in this area which is how I ended up so big. I can still remember the horror of finding out just how small a portion really was. I still struggle now but the two things I would recommend you do is get smaller plates and weigh/measure everything until you can recognise the correct amounts.

Yes! My downfall, as I said, was (is) pasta, which I eat for most meals because it's quick and easy. I measure spaghetti by the bundle, and my bundles had crept up to the size of 2 or 3 portions. I'm better now, although when I'm very tired or fed up about something, it'll creep up again. I try to always put a few strands back in the jar once I've settled on the size of the bundle - sometimes I end up doing a daft kind of bargain with myself. Select a bundle size, put half a dozen strands back, take two out and add them again, put one back - really it's like I'm fighting myself!

RaRa

Yes! My downfall, as I said, was (is) pasta, which I eat for most meals because it's quick and easy. I measure spaghetti by the bundle, and my bundles had crept up to the size of 2 or 3 portions. I'm better now, although when I'm very tired or fed up about something, it'll creep up again. I try to always put a few strands back in the jar once I've settled on the size of the bundle - sometimes I end up doing a daft kind of bargain with myself. Select a bundle size, put half a dozen strands back, take two out and add them again, put one back - really it's like I'm fighting myself!

Me too me too! I started counting rice and then realised things had gone too far - back out came the scales :blush:

yello

I can still remember the horror of finding out just how small a portion really was.

I still experience that horror! It is surprising how little we actually need to eat. Well, saddening rather than surprising - I love eating!

ss, not knowing your diet it's impossible to know what to suggest. That said, many people tend to underestimate the amount of carbohydrate they eat and it could well be in that area that you need to look.... not just chocolate bars etc but also between meals snacks of toast, sandwiches, whatever. Those 'tide you over' nibbles can be costly!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Re: portion size, we get some of our misconceptions from food packaging and so on. Apparently cereal companies have special small bowls to photograph their cereals in, so that the recommended portion looks like a big bowlful.... Fill a regular bowl to the same level and you're getting way more than a recommended portion.

I've mentioned in the saving money thread, my simple, samey work lunch. But the routine is a good way for me to keep the calories down. I know that noodles, sandwich and small choccy biscuit bar IS enough for me. I buy Clubs or Rocky bars, or Penguins because I get a little bit of chocolate, but not the huge calorie load of a chocolate bar like a Mars Bar or Twix, which I'd be tempted to buy if I took no biscuit at all.

Of course, sometimes I lapse and have a pasty or samosa extra. But it is a treat, and much rarer than it used to be.

defy-one

Agree with many of you about portion size. I look at my plate compared to my family and it used to have twice as much! Now i use smaller plates to help me with portion sizes.
Lunch is always a few peices of fruit with water. I also know i am very hungry when i get home, would eat lots of little things and also dinner at 7 ish. The solution was to have my evening meal as soon as i got home from work. I also weigh myself every Sunday. Helps keep me in check

Top Bottom