I'd like some diet advice please......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Sorry, just read this this. What you say is right and I largely agree but you're missing a piece of the puzzle. The sugar highs and dips explain the issue with sugary fruit juice, starchy carbs etc. All the quick energy. Fruit juice has all the sugar of multiple pieces of fruit with none of the digestable fibre to slow down the energy release. Same with the quick energy release of syatchy carbs. Or so I've read in many, many places. Too much sugar in the system (inc from digesting starchy carbs) creates an insulin response which results in fat storage. The high level of insulin also results in the body not beibg able to access fat in the fat cells. When the blood sugar drops (the lows you mentioned) the body cannot access stored fat for energy so needs to eat again and fast so you go for more divert type food and the cycle continues. With time your body becomes more insulin resistant but your fat cells become resistant slower resulting in a higher proportion of fat being stored in your fat cells. This is one of the reasons why not all calories are equal and glycemic index and glycemic load came about in dieting. Glycemic index includes portion size (which you've spoken about) while glycemic load focuees on energy release.

The problem with what you're saying here is that you're using the general term "starchy carbs" which people take to mean something other than what I think you're trying to say. I prefer to use the term "processed carbs" in the context you're using it, which covers white bread, white pasta, etc. This separates the type of cabohydrate that does cause highs and lows from the wholegrain carbs, which are high fibre, contain more protein, and are digested slower. (When you say "starchy carbs" are bad, most people will assume you mean all bread, all rice, etc, and I don't think you're saying that.)

Generally, I think I agree with what you're saying, although I don't usually go into it in so much depth because most people don't care!

As for fruit juice, it has 2 - maybe 3 - uses in my life. It thins down a smoothie to the point where you can actually drink it rather than needing to eat it with a spoon, it's great before an early morning run when I don't have time to digest something solid before I go, and (the possible 3rd use) it's one of the first things I'd look for if I was close to bonking and had to get some carbs in me quick. Otherwise, I'd rather eat fruit.

VamP

Banned
Paleo books do make the point that cultures which existed even up till recently (i.e. the isolated tribes etc) living on a Paleo diet all had excellent health (i.e. no bad teeth, all athlete fit, little illnesses etc, proper bone growth and development - think teeth/jaw and feet) etc

I don't really have an opinion on the Paleo diet one way or the other, but may I respectfully suggest that there are more obvious explanations for this specific point?

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
There's a leafy salad sold in Sainsburys that has very finely cut strips of beetroot .
Indeed there is, I had it today :hungry: Lettuce, beetroot, cabbage (I think), yellow and red peppers, carrot and sweetcorn. It also has a sachet of mayo but I didn't use any of it *pats own back*

photoidq.jpg

I added some fresh chicken to it as well for some protein, (removed the skin of course). I've still had a couple of snacks and my fruit, and I had a sensibly portioned tea.

I'm particularly chuffed with myself as I had to go to a meeting this afternoon, and when I got there there was a full buffet spread laid on, all the usual suspect, sausage rolls, filled sandwiches, etc, and even cakes and biscuits as well :eek: But I knew this would be the case so I went prepared.

I'd had my chicken salad before hand, and I took a banana with me. I skipped the whole buffet on arrival and when we had a coffee break I had my banana ready so I was tempted at all :thumbsup:

Finished off the turbo set up after my tea, (ran out of time last night as it needed more assembly then I thought), and I'm typing this now as I get my breath back after a 45 minute turbo session through the Pyrenees :heat:

RaRa

Keep it up - you're doing great. Try to think of it as a lifestyle rather than a diet, I find it helps with the mental side of the battle.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Quick update. I'm currently 7 pounds lighter than I was two weeks ago^_^ I'm still feeling strong and motivated and I'm not experiencing any urges to eat loads of rubbish which I'm very happy about.

I'm incorporating a lot of aspects of the Paleo Diet which is definitely helping me due to the high protein content, and overall I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all.

So thanks for the advice and the support, and I'll keep checking back with updates as and when.

Ride safe :thumbsup:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Nice work - keep it up!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Quick update. I'm currently 7 pounds lighter than I was two weeks ago^_^ I'm still feeling strong and motivated and I'm not experiencing any urges to eat loads of rubbish which I'm very happy about.

I'm incorporating a lot of aspects of the Paleo Diet which is definitely helping me due to the high protein content, and overall I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all.

So thanks for the advice and the support, and I'll keep checking back with updates as and when.

Ride safe :thumbsup:
Please please please be carefull! You really don't want to lose too quickly.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I've lost 6 pounds since April and a similar amount each month since last year, I'm 15 8 now but I was 16 9 last year, 2 pounds a month will do me, I'm happy for my weight to continue to drop slowly as I want this to be for life!

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I won't, I still like my food but I'm generally eating better food and less rubbish :thumbsup:

I do expect to have lost when I 'weigh in' tomorrow, but hopefully only a pound or two. If it's much more then I'll review my portion sizes to slow things down.

I really noticed your loss this week so I reckon you can afford to slow down!

Top Bottom