I'd like some diet advice please......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Oh sorry. I must have missed the bit where smokey posted what he ate! ;)

I don't think he did. I just meant the things you quoted as being fattening because of being high in carbohydrates actually contain more calories in fat than in carbohydrate. People say that bread is fattening, for example, but it isn't. It's the butter and (often) high calorie fillings/toppings we have with it that are fattening.

Eddie

I've gone from 17stone 10 months ago to 12.5 stone now. While building quite a bit of muscle mass.

I've spent a lot of time educating myself about nutrition, weight loss and exercise, to the point where i've developed quite a lot of expertise on the matter.

Most of the time people are looking for a short cut to simplify down their diet to one factor, such as carbs = bad, or eating at night = bad. These things are rarely true, but they tend to work, as following any selective plan achieves one major thing. It makes you consciously think about your eating, and this is the first step to controlling your diet.

I don't really believe in any school of thought, but I strongly believe in avoiding sugar, and eating a high protein diet. The times where I have done this, I have achieved by far the best results. I would advise any active person to try to take in around 30% of their calories from protein.

I'm happy to answer any questions about diet/nutrition to the best of my ability. On a side note, I saw a post a while back about "turning fat into muscle" - this is impossible, you can build muscle and lose fat, but they are separate processes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Prompted by this thread, when I measured out my spaghetti tonight, I weighed it. The pack suggests 75-100g dried spaghetti per person for a main course.

The portion I weighed out looked tiny. I reckon, even when I'm being hard on myself, I'm cooking 150g. I stuck with the 100g, and it did look a bit little on the plate, but I made an effort to eaet more slowly, and probably felt as full at the end as I would have done with 50% more.

That's another trick, eating slowly. Apparently it takes a certain time for the message to get from your stomach to your brain that you're full, and if you eat quickly, you'll eat more in that time than if you eat slowly - but you'll still feel full with less.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I did 75g of penne in tonight's meal. Last batch of pasta bol I did was using 60g helpings but I decided to push the boat out. I think it's just about getting into habits. I would have easily been using 120g+ in the past. I find that drinking a big glass of water with dinner also helps.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the info guys, some good stuff in there. It's not that I don't know what to do, that's the easy bit :whistle: It's just bloody doing it that's the hard bit!

When I did WW I found that tracking, (food journal), and drinking lots of water really helped. Perhaps I need to go back to doing that? I've no doubt that my portion control is out of control too, so a new battery for the scales is required I think.

I don't drink so that's never been an issue, (sadly or I could just cut it out!). I've always hidden behind the fact I'm a big guy, 6' 5" and built like a brick toilet, and I've always been the joker in the pack as well, but you've heard of the tears of a clown right? I'm not comfortable to state my weight right now, but hopefully I will do eventually.

As for my diet, it really isn't great, let's be honest if it was I wouldn't have started this thread?

I eat too much convenience food, too much junk and I snack WAY too much. I can be OK all day, (as long as there are no birthdays at work:whistle:), then when Mrs S is sorting out Miss S at night and I find myself alone downstairs, that's when the cupboard starts whispering my name.

Then again I go through phases at work where all I want to do is eat crap. All the usual fast food junk, pizza, kebabs you name it. I've got myself stuck on a vicious circular treadmill, except I'm not doing enough running on it :whistle:

FWIW I start EVERY day with the best of intentions, then if I fall off the wagon even slightly I tend to go into a downward spiral and the day ends up being written off!

Distraction is good. Tuesday's tend to be OK as I play badminton so I'm out for a chunk of the evening. I just need to get my head in gear and sort myself out TBH.

So I'm going to stick to everything in moderation, but apply a LOT more moderation to the 'bad' things. I need to try and plan meals as well. That way things aren't left to the last minute. Tonight is a great example. Miss S had a school performance tonight and I've only just got in from watching her at 8.30pm and we have no idea what we're doing for our tea :wacko: Normally in this circumstance it would end up being a takeaway of one sort or another, but that is NOT happening tonight as I'm 'in the zone' I might just have a bowl of porridge with a banana and call it a day.

Last thing, I've just collected my new, (to me), turbo trainer today. Now I can't do anything with it tonight, but I'll distract myself tomorrow when I get home from work by setting it up, then I'll be off to badminton, but it will be ready for action for when I come home on Wednesday, which considering I've got a meeting all afternoon that I'm really not looking forward too should be good to relieve the tensions of the day.

Thanks again guys, I do appreciate all your responses :thumbsup:

lulubel

Über Member
That's another trick, eating slowly. Apparently it takes a certain time for the message to get from your stomach to your brain that you're full, and if you eat quickly, you'll eat more in that time than if you eat slowly - but you'll still feel full with less.

We had a discussion on this on another forum a while back, and came to the conclusion that you have to eat slowly enough for the food you've already eaten to be making good progress through the digestive system before you finish. Your brain doesn't know how many calories you've put in your stomach, but it does know when you've disgested enough to not need any more.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
FWIW I start EVERY day with the best of intentions, then if I fall off the wagon even slightly I tend to go into a downward spiral and the day ends up being written off!

:

I happen to know there is a set of scales in one of the offices at your work where that rather portly manager sits, maybe a dual public weigh off will help?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
calories in < calories out = weight gain
calories in > calories out = weight loss
calories in = calories out = weight static
Simples!

But it isn't that simple is it? There are other factors, like will power, temptation, eating disorders, injury, budget, greed, liking how cookies taste!

I've gone from 17stone 10 months ago to 12.5 stone now. While building quite a bit of muscle mass.

I've spent a lot of time educating myself about nutrition, weight loss and exercise, to the point where i've developed quite a lot of expertise on the matter.

Most of the time people are looking for a short cut to simplify down their diet to one factor, such as carbs = bad, or eating at night = bad. These things are rarely true, but they tend to work, as following any selective plan achieves one major thing. It makes you consciously think about your eating, and this is the first step to controlling your diet.

I don't really believe in any school of thought, but I strongly believe in avoiding sugar, and eating a high protein diet. The times where I have done this, I have achieved by far the best results. I would advise any active person to try to take in around 30% of their calories from protein.

I'm happy to answer any questions about diet/nutrition to the best of my ability. On a side note, I saw a post a while back about "turning fat into muscle" - this is impossible, you can build muscle and lose fat, but they are separate processes.

I like this post a lot ^_^

I lost 4 stone and have kept it off with no real effort to keep it off. I'm at a healthy weight now an could lose a bit more if I put the effort in I'm sure but I'm happy where I'm at (no longer obese!) for now. I eat mainly fresh food. The information on healthy eating in the big bad world is contradictory and confusing to say the least. I read a lot on the science behind diet claims and looked for common factors on what would seem like good choices. Fresh food is definitely a biggy. I've written "read up on the endocrine system" so much I might as well make it my forum username. There is truth, from what I've read and also from my own experiences, on starchy carbs being an issue. You'll learn why if you read up on bodily hormones in endocrinology. Fruit juice and dried fruit are the same. I still have them but directly after exercise for quick digestion recovery carbs if I do a long training session. Not great for lunch if you are sat down in a chair at work all day like I do. Sugar is something to cut down on. Man made fats are worse the "natural" fats. By example the saturated fat in mackerel doesn't concern me but I don't eat it by the bucket. It's not a case that fat makes you fat on it's own and not all calories are equal. The thing you're up against is there's no money in fresh food and it's difficult to build up a massive industry and branded products by telling people to each fresh food.

The NHS health pages can be confusing. Some of them have contradictions on the same page. They also refer to the eatwell plate which is to be taken with a large portion of salt and not just a pinch.

One book I particularly like is the Paleo Diet for Athletes. I don't do a paleo diet and skipped those bits. Don't be put off by the title. The book includes very un-paleo diet food including bread, pasta, whey protein, milk, sports energy products etc. It goes into the amounts of food to fuel training and recover based on weight, training volume etc. I use it as a guideline. I expect if I did have time to measure food out properly I may see benefits but I simply don't have the time at the moment. It includes the kind of sensible eating for the rest of the day if you are a weekend warrior like me or a multiple training sessions per day type. Co-written by Joe Friel who also wrote the cyclists training bible and the triathletes training bible. New edition due out soon if you're interested in it..

Normally in this circumstance it would end up being a takeaway of one sort or another, but that is NOT happening tonight as I'm 'in the zone' I might just have a bowl of porridge with a banana and call it a day.

I'd say fresh food but banana and porridge is a bit much before bed. Bananas are a directly before, during or after an intense or long training session only if you are trying to lose weight. Definitely better than takeaway and I heartily applaud your dedication. As a former evening take away fan I know how tempting it is when you're tired and hungry with family commitments. I train in the evenings so my supper is not for everyone so I will reserve suggestions.

The thing about eating slowly to notice you are full is certainly a good idea but your brain works on fullness via hormones before your stomach becomes uncomfortably full. Protein creates a stronger hormonal response for satiety. Fat has a stronger one than carbs but I'll raise the point of more caleries per gram in fat before anyone else does :whistle:. Confused, you will be ;). Hormones rule the body. Insulin, leptin and ghrelin are all good know about to a basic level if you are struggling to lose weight. I will add I'm not too clever and I can understand it so I'm sure everyone else on here can.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
OK, ended up having a ham sandwich on wholemeal bread with a few crisps :eek: Not ideal perhaps, but far better than a takeaway and from a portion point of view compared to what I'd normally have this was very light.

I'm happy with that as I feel I've controlled things well today. Tomorrow will be planned better as Mrs S will have my tea ready for when I get home, (or so help her:laugh:), then it's turbo set up, won't be able to resist a quick spin no doubt, then off to badminton :thumbsup:

Top Bottom