ID on this type of nut for seat post clamp and skewers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrfacetious

Veteran
Hi all,
Can anybody name this type of fastening/what kind of tool to use with it? I got them open an ugly way, never seen them before and can't find anything online. Cheers!
20210223_122123.jpg

That's the type of knurled aluminium nut I'd expect to be on the other end of a quick release, like this, rather than on the other end of another nut just the same! It's designed to be adjusted by hand, then have the tension applied by the quick release cam, surely?

OP
OP
mrfacetious

mrfacetious

Veteran
That's the type of knurled aluminium nut I'd expect to be on the other end of a quick release
That was my first thought! And yet it's set up like this on both the wheel skewers as well? Very weird. It's a pretty old bike (a steel Rockhopper) so I didn't know if this wasn't some fad thing that existed for a few weeks in 1995 and required a special tool...

OP
OP
mrfacetious

mrfacetious

Veteran
I'm not so sure, as this arrangement requires the threads to extend the whole length of the clamp bolt/skewers, whereas a QR for example would usually only be threaded on the one side? It does seem to be by design. In any case, based on the replies it's very nonstandard...

-quiet grumbling about having to buy another silly little part for a few quid-

midlife

Guru

Top Bottom