ideas for nutrition please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I don't really eat much veg, and I HATE fruit, the only thing I'll eat fruit related is pineapple, and even then that's only on the odd occassion that I can stomach it.

I've thought about forcing myself to eat banana's but not yet been able to bring myself to try one.

To be honest, I've not even tried most of the fruit out there. So far, to my knowledge....I've tried:

apples.....hated them
pears.....hated them
strawberry....hated that (the first time i tried a strawberry in my 32 year life was about 2 months ago)
grapes......hated them
melon.....hated them too

It seems to be a psychological thing, but I don't know what to do! It's like anything fruit related just tastes too "earthy" if that makes sense?

Please help!

fossala

Guru
No it doesn't make sense - grow up!

fossala

Guru
You asked if it made sense. No it doesn't. An apple does not taste "earthy" it tests fresh and crisp. I can go on and describe the other fruits tastes but that would be a waste of time.

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

But surely that's a matter of opinion? My opinion is it tastes horrible and earthy. I'm sure if my dog could talk she'd tell me the cat poo she is so fond of in the cat litter tray tastes fantastic, yet i'm sure my opinion would be massively different

MattHB

Proud Daddy
You've named most of the most wonderful things in my diet, so it's hard to imagine why someone wouldn't like them, but each to their own.

I would seem though that your problem with fruit does appear, as you say, to be psychological, which is a powerful problem. Have you approached your GP? They have access to all sorts of assistance with problems like these.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I don't really eat much veg, and I HATE fruit, the only thing I'll eat fruit related is pineapple, and even then that's only on the odd occassion that I can stomach it.

I've thought about forcing myself to eat banana's but not yet been able to bring myself to try one.

To be honest, I've not even tried most of the fruit out there. So far, to my knowledge....I've tried:

apples.....hated them
pears.....hated them
strawberry....hated that (the first time i tried a strawberry in my 32 year life was about 2 months ago)
grapes......hated them
melon.....hated them too

It seems to be a psychological thing, but I don't know what to do! It's like anything fruit related just tastes too "earthy" if that makes sense?

Please help!

go on then, what do you eat at the moment...??

Shaun

Founder
Please be considerate when replying!!

Many people have foods they simply don't like or can't stand to eat - I'm told, over and over, that cheese is a wonderful food - but unless it's melted on pizza or a burger I'm simply not a fan (to the point where I've gagged and ran to the kitchen bin to get it out of my mouth). It's both the taste and texture for me.

Your apparent lack of experience of eating fruit may be at the root of the problem - you simply haven't learned to "enjoy" fruit and so currently have a strong dislike for it.

I've heard it said that you can learn to like foods by continually trying them - that after 6 or 7 goes you start to lose the aversion to them and begin to be able to tollerate them, and later on to enjoy them; so maybe that's the way to go. Keep trying. Maybe start with apples and once you've got used to them try other "earthy" (healthy) things.

I can now eat a bit of feta with my salads, so I've made a start. :thumbsup:

I presume by your signature line that you're a big lad and that your current diet is pretty much responsible - so perhaps explaining what you have been eating might help other advise you on ways you could change your diet for the better?

Cheers.
Shaun :biggrin:

Berties

Fast and careful!
mate try a few smoothies,good ones,or try and make them,bananas, strawbs or frozen berries and pineapple you like add slosh of juice and blitz,or how about apple and pear purree,eat it with natural yoghurt or creme fraiche or even custard hot or cold,good fresh food takes a little time but if your keen do it,i aint over keen on prunes in my diet but i am getting used to them,with veg try and roast or stir fry different items changes the textures,keep with it,if you have fallen into bad habits it is not a mental issue,it is there is something i would like to eat better and thats it,and the stuff thats good for you goes, ,eat some fruits in season,rhubarb is still in my garden,we roast it with oj and ginger,and eat cold with yoghurt,really good but can't eat to much gives me wind:whistle:
please do keep with it,there will be something you like but at the beginning eat fruit with something to get yourself goin
good luck

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

Please be considerate when replying!!

Many people have foods they simply don't like or can't stand to eat - I'm told, over and over, that cheese is a wonderful food - but unless it's melted on pizza or a burger I'm simply not a fan (to the point where I've gagged and ran to the kitchen bin to get it out of my mouth). It's both the taste and texture for me.

Your apparent lack of experience of eating fruit may be at the root of the problem - you simply haven't learned to "enjoy" fruit and so currently have a strong dislike for it.

I've heard it said that you can learn to like foods by continually trying them - that after 6 or 7 goes you start to lose the aversion to them and begin to be able to tollerate them, and later on to enjoy them; so maybe that's the way to go. Keep trying. Maybe start with apples and once you've got used to them try other "earthy" (healthy) things.

I can now eat a bit of feta with my salads, so I've made a start. :thumbsup:

I presume by your signature line that you're a big lad and that your current diet is pretty much responsible - so perhaps explaining what you have been eating might help other advise you on ways you could change your diet for the better?

Cheers.
Shaun :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice Shaun, i'll give it a try if I can be bothered and if my parents let me seeing as these are the routes of my problem

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

mate try a few smoothies,good ones,or try and make them,bananas, strawbs or frozen berries and pineapple you like add slosh of juice and blitz,or how about apple and pear purree,eat it with natural yoghurt or creme fraiche or even custard hot or cold,good fresh food takes a little time but if your keen do it,i aint over keen on prunes in my diet but i am getting used to them,with veg try and roast or stir fry different items changes the textures,keep with it,if you have fallen into bad habits it is not a mental issue,it is there is something i would like to eat better and thats it,and the stuff thats good for you goes, ,eat some fruits in season,rhubarb is still in my garden,we roast it with oj and ginger,and eat cold with yoghurt,really good but can't eat to much gives me wind:whistle:
please do keep with it,there will be something you like but at the beginning eat fruit with something to get yourself goin
good luck

Thanks for that :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe just up your vegetable & salad intake - have a good mix, cooked and raw instead of fruit, especially if trying to lose weight - fruit is healthy but full of sugar. Do you drink juice - there are loads of variants now other than just orange

At 32, why do you need your parents to "let you" try fruit?

Definitely see the GP, perhaps you can see a nutritionist or get some sort of therapy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom