Ideas please - a challenge for my 50th birthday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Im looking to mark the milestone next year with an old school friend when we will both hit the big 50 so I would like to do it with a significant challenge or just do one of the iconic Alpine climbs etc. I'm thinking the usual suspects, Alps, Pyrenees - the Picos look a hidden gem too. I know there are a lot of catered package companies out there, Marmot etc but lot of them are over priced in my opinion, anyone got any tips,advice. ideas or details of mabye a little known company that's better value ? Faillng that there's always good old Mallorca and the 312 !! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

adscrim

Veteran
Im looking to mark the milestone next year with an old school friend when we will both hit the big 50 so I would like to do it with a significant challenge or just do one of the conic Alpine climbs etc. I'm thinking the usual suspects, Alps, Pyrenees - the Picos look a hidden gem too. I know there are a lot of catered package companies out there, Marmot etc but lot of them are over priced in my opinion, anyone got any tips,advice. ideas or details of mabye a little known company that's better value ? Faillng that there's always good old Mallorca and the 312 !! :rolleyes:

I'm going to France this summer to do the Cingles du Ventoux in celebration of my 40th. There seems to be plenty of accommodation about (I'm going at the beginning of July) and I've tagged on some time on one of the fabulous French 'campsites' for the rest of the family. We're driving the whole way taking in Amsterdam, Liege (and the Tour), Paris and a couple of other sites on the way.

Plenty of the big alpine ski resorts are open over the Summer. They've loads of excellent value accommodation, mountain passes galore (of course) and often try really hard to support 'Summer' activities like tennis, hiking, cycling etc. Have a look at Flaine for example.

jags

Guru
your only a nipper happy birthday btw.
why not tour the Camino epic ride loads of big hills if that's your buzz ,fantastic cycling great people and sun.oh to see a bit of sun.
have fun.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A little more left field, but for my 40th (now sadly 8 years ago) I did the Vatternrundan in Sweden. It's a proper challenge distance-wise although relatively flat, compared to mid-Hampshire at least.

The atmosphere is much more chilled than the average sportive/challenge ride. There's everything from serious club teams to Swedish nanas on sit-up-and-begs.

The only downsides are general expense and the potential for gash weather. When I did it I had a late evening start time and it dropped to about 4C and rain in mid June. I was in the local LBS the day before I left buying their only pair of in-stock winter gloves, much to their amusement as the UK temp was in the high 20s.

I drove there and made it a proper road trip.

http://vatternrundan.se/en/

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Some years ago I decided I wanted to ride LeJog. ** My wife asked why, to which my answer was basically "because it's there." She asked more questions which lead me to realise my motivation was simply to complete the ride because I saw it as a challenge and possibly impress others. Her view was why not do something new, adventurous which might bring more pleasure than just completing an established route?

On that occasion I toured the Outer Hebrides, setting off from Arran and ending in Inverness. She was right, it was a stunning tour.

For my 60th my wife asked me what I wanted to do, she said it should be something I wouldn't normally do. In her mind was a celebration of some sort with friends etc. I decided to ride from home to the Mediterranean. Practicality meant I had to change the destination to Bordeaux. It was a great tour and did challenge me in several ways but not in the sense of riding a bike.

So my question to you would be this. Why do you want a challenge in the sense of riding a big climb? Might it not be more interesting to undertake an enjoyable cycling experience but one which could present other aspects of challenge?

I'm 62, last Saturday I rode Hardknott Pass for the first time. The conditions were atrocious, low cloud, mist, rain and run off almost covering the road. That was a challenge because it's there. Challenges will always be there and can be attempted any time. Celebrating and marking a life event with something out of the ordinary only happens once.

** I fully understand and mean no disrespect to LeJogers. I'll probably do it one day.

My French tour cost less than 50% of the advertised packages.

Hardknott Saturday 2017 03 18.

Attachments

• IMG_8439.JPG
    IMG_8439.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Hmmmm... Please do not take this as a personal way of promoting my own business... But did you ever consider Malaga, Spain? I know thhis local company that is offering pretty good stuff at an affordable price... Please check them out.. http://www.bikekick.eu/arrangementen/

And even when it says Dutch speaking guide you can replace that par for English/Spanish speaker guide.. (Personally I would pick Guaro lovely rides in every direction from there) you can stay there for a few days and ride every day 100 km.. By the time you come home I promise you will have over 5K of climbing in your legs... +sun +beer +coffee +great food and tons of pictures to remember this adventure.

All the best and let us know what you are going to do at the end..!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Recently come back from Calpi in Spain, We did as a group, 5 days cost £550.00 including flights, full board in a really nice hotel and bike hire, There are plenty of routes on Strava or Garmin. That was in February, prices may start creeping up now. You don't need to go through a company.:okay:

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Hmmmm... Please do not take this as a personal way of promoting my own business... But did you ever consider Malaga, Spain? I know thhis local company that is offering pretty good stuff at an affordable price... Please check them out.. http://www.bikekick.eu/arrangementen/

And even when it says Dutch speaking guide you can replace that par for English/Spanish speaker guide.. (Personally I would pick Guaro lovely rides in every direction from there) you can stay there for a few days and ride every day 100 km.. By the time you come home I promise you will have over 5K of climbing in your legs... +sun +beer +coffee +great food and tons of pictures to remember this adventure.

All the best and let us know what you are going to do at the end..!
Poor link ??

Top Bottom