Ideas Ref Pannier/Rack Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brush3287

Hi all
Living on a pension like lots of people I have to be a bit of a skinflint when spending money on things cycling.
I'm a fan of Lidl cycling stuff, low cost, does the job & not bad quality. Recently bought their 3 bag pannier set for £14.99.
Bought a rack for my MTB from Edinburgh Cycle Co-Operative for £20 inc P&P.
Problem: the design of the panniers is such they can't be reliably secured to the rack without the probability of them hitting the spokes Or my heels hitting the pannier when I cycle.
I know I can make these two things work it's just a case of the right sort of solution.
I have considered extending the rack in some way to provide a barrier to the panniers hitting the spokes.
Trouble is the material needs to be light, easily fixed & cheap!
Any ideas considered - just looking for inspiration at this juncture.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not sure exactly where the problem is but could weaving some string on each side of the pannier rack make them effectively more solid?

rusky

CC Addict
Is it a beam rack without any verticle structure to clip the pannier to? Why not make a frame that sits on the pannier to add side support?

Not familiar with the Lidle rack but I think I can visualise the panniers.

OP
OP
brush3287

brush3287

Thanks for the quick replies.
Has certainly got my creative juices going. I'm going to try TheMadCyclist suggestion first as it is simple, easily achieved and cheap!
If that isn't successful then I'll have a look at enhancing the rack a link for which is below.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...6&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003185c003187

Of course as soon as I buy this they then have a sale on & it's now around a fiver less than I bought it for!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think I know exactly what your problem is as I suffered it a couple of weeks ago. I had just stood up 'to give it some beans' while weaving through rush hour traffic when my back wheel decided to try and eat one of the panniers. I ground to a halt in the middle of the road as the traffice around me started to move, NOT good!

Anyway, To try and stop it happening again I have put an aluminium plate across the uprights secured with cable ties.

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

OP
OP
brush3287

brush3287

Hi I Like Skol (didn't know it was still around?)

These piccies make all the difference.

My rack doesn't have a vertical bar but my panniers have vertical fixings! hence each time I put the panniers on I either push them for (toward my feet) or aft (into the wheel!).

I need to do something similar to what you've done except either make it square either side or an upside down T shape.

Once again thanks for the piccies. I'll post again when resolved.

I think I know exactly what your problem is as I suffered it a couple of weeks ago. I had just stood up 'to give it some beans' while weaving through rush hour traffic when my back wheel decided to try and eat one of the panniers. I ground to a halt in the middle of the road as the traffice around me started to move, NOT good!

Anyway, To try and stop it happening again I have put an aluminium plate across the uprights secured with cable ties.

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

david1701

on my pub bike one of the sides of the pannir rack bottom fixing has parted so I put the bottom of the pannier to the lever on the qr bolt of the wheel nut, its longer so the pannier has more play but it does hold ok

Top Bottom