Identify a light please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw this one out of the car window. At first from a distance I thought it was a motorbike, bright red and pulsing rather than flashing. When we passed each other a couple of times I tried to get a look (I was a passenger). It appeared to be slim and long, with lighter grey end near the light and a darker grey or black end away from the light. Long and slim in shape rah pother than squat and fat. I think the front light matched but I was paying it less attention. Visibility looked good even when not directly behind it. Whilst bright it didn't seem retina burning though that's could be due to being set up at a good angle as it looked pretty bright in daylight, not sure what it would be like at night time.

Is anyone able to identify it from that?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Stab in the dark...

Cateye volt 50 (rear)
Cateye volt 300 (front)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-volt-300volt-50-front-and-rear-set/

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thank you. That certainly looks like the light, right sort of dimensions and colour!

I've never had a cat eye light before, but I'm tempted. Do you know how the front light compares to a Hope 1?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Thank you. That certainly looks like the light, right sort of dimensions and colour!

I've never had a cat eye light before, but I'm tempted. Do you know how the front light compares to a Hope 1?
I have the volt 300 and 50. They are excellent lights and great VFM at £60 or so the pair.

I can use the 300 on full power as a sole to see by light in pitch dark countryside riding. It is not magic shine bright and I'm in the 10-15mph area, if I was really going fast or using it properly off road in total dark I'd want more but for a bog standard commute/utility lights the 300 and 50 are superb.

USB charging pretty quick to full power and they last an impressive length of time between charges. The battery parts are interchangeable too so if you do run the 300 down mid ride, you can just switch the battery from the 50 (300/50 = 6x longer life for the rear).

Cat eye now do a Volt 700 (actually putting out 800 lumens) front light, I've tried it vs a 300 & T6 import and it is fantastically bright and would easily see you right for pretty much any riding you could wish, ~£100 tho but again the battery is interchangeable with the 300/50 units.

Another consideration for a well received and super bright front light for sensible money is the new Smart 700 selling for £30-40 but out of stock in many places right now. I've only heard good things about it but have yet to see it for real.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for that information/review!:thumbsup: I've already got the Hope 1 x2 so it would have to have some advantage over that for me to buy the front though interchangeable batteries might be it, certainly looks less bulky than the Hope. I do ride on unlit cycle paths so it does have to be a to see light). But I've been contemplating a new rear light and it could be this one.... (Can you have too many lights!:whistle:)

Top Bottom