Identifying a Raleigh frame no SB4315

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP

2clepto

It's in a non-standard livery from 1981 so it's been refinished. Either way it's a family heirloom so hang onto it and pass it down. When you have the money you might want to refinish it back to an original colour scheme.

It's light because it's more than likely Reynolds 753 and not 531 tubing :smile:

Can I have a pic of the rear dropout where the rear mech is attached just for curiosity.

Cheers

Shaun

thanks Shaun much appreciated. do you know the cost roughly to return it back to its original colour scheme? and roughly how much the frame with forks are worth?

ive actually just refitted some parts today because i was considering selling it when i get the pedals mainly because i prefer a slightly larger frame, of which ive bought two larger frames recently, a raleigh r100 and a scorpio sis.

maybe i should just sell the frame and forks now and refit the parts to another frame, but is it best to sell the frame and forks with BB included or does it not really matter?

ill do the photos now back in ten. cheers mark.

OP
OP

2clepto

the photos. if you dont mind me asking whats got you curious regarding the dropouts? i dont mind taking any more photos in the morning if the light is too poor on these three. cheers mark
20140920_212307.jpg
20140920_212253.jpg
20140920_212231.jpg

midlife

Guru
Just confirming the general date of the frame :smile: .

The dropout has 2 holes in it for what is called a Portacatena which was a holder for the chain when changing the wheel. The dropouts were first displayed at trade shows in 1977 but didn't really arrive on production frames until 1979 and then faded out in the early 80's as it wasn't all that popular. I have a frame from 1982 with them.

Nails the frame to after 1979 but before the mid 80's. when they had almost gone.

Also the way the stays are finished into the frame are typically Raleigh.

All in all I wish it were mine.

As for cost of the frame? in it's present state it might attract some bidders on e-bay to have a bun fight if they want it so 250 would be a good start and light the blue touch paper. Bottom bracket or not makes little difference. Personally I'd keep it just to know I had one :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP

2clepto

thanks midlife. excellent information. yes id had it mid 80's, with web research and the stamp info this afternoon from a post above. id love to keep it but its slightly to small for me.

Top Bottom