Idiot in a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Having seen how much insurance has risen for my Wife who has had no claims in the last year, I'd be trying to pay it personally rather than risk losing any NCB!!
It's probably too late for that, as the insurers now ask whether you've had any accidents within the last X years, rather than whether you've made any claims within the last X years.

In other words, the OP should admit to the accident come renewal time, whether or not it was put through as a claim. Not admitting to it, especially now that the insurers know that it has happened, would give them a massive "Get Out Of Paying Free" card if they need one in future.

thomas

the tank engine
I've heard advice that drivers shouldn't apologise at the scene, as it can be used as evidence that they accepted liability at the time. As someone who says 'sorry' when they bump into inanimate objects, I think it would just slip out, whether I was at fault or not.

Well. When I used to work in a shop, so it is slightly different, HOWEVER, we had a book that we would have to fill in if anyone hurt themselves in the shop. Perhaps they fell over. Now, we would have to fill this in if it was perceived to be our fault or not. If they didn't want to give details, we still had to fill it in. Now this was all because of liability over someone hurting them-self. Now, as part of this it was made very clear that by saying sorry, we weren't admitting it was our fault. It was just good manners.

Where as saying "That was my fault, I admit liability" could breach your contract with your insurance company and therefore void the policy. Obviously, from the Insurance companies point of view, just because you think you are in the wrong, doesn't mean that you are (or at least that they can't find ways of minimising their claim).

Now, whatever you say is all well and good. If it is used against just say you don't remember saying sorry, or admitting liability - simple :tongue:

taxing

Well. When I used to work in a shop, so it is slightly different, HOWEVER, we had a book that we would have to fill in if anyone hurt themselves in the shop. Perhaps they fell over. Now, we would have to fill this in if it was perceived to be our fault or not. If they didn't want to give details, we still had to fill it in. Now this was all because of liability over someone hurting them-self. Now, as part of this it was made very clear that by saying sorry, we weren't admitting it was our fault. It was just good manners.

Where as saying "That was my fault, I admit liability" could breach your contract with your insurance company and therefore void the policy. Obviously, from the Insurance companies point of view, just because you think you are in the wrong, doesn't mean that you are (or at least that they can't find ways of minimising their claim).

Now, whatever you say is all well and good. If it is used against just say you don't remember saying sorry, or admitting liability - simple :tongue:

I was thinking once (this makes me sound weird) what I would say after an accident, to avoid saying sorry. I settled on 'Oh my God, are you all right?' Caring, shocked, but not sorry. :biggrin:

Top Bottom