Idiots on bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
3. You are prone to describing people who don't follow your preferred behaviour as fools, or worse. Makes complaining of being called 'a bit of a nobber' a tad hypocritical.
4. You appear to believe in collective responsibility for cyclists, which is offensive nonsense on stilts. if you doubt this, do tell me what you plan to do about the braindead feckwit in a white van (you know, just like you) who passed me within touching distance yesterday morning?
Nice, that's a hat trick of abusive comments!
Sorry, I personally can't do anything about the motorist you describe, I'm not really sure what you want me to say or do? Write to your MP, ask for better policing, better training, more severe punishments?
Doesn't stop any cyclist/pedestrian/road user being more pro active about making themselves seen.

martint235

Dog on a bike
or gets hooked on a segregated section and gets the lights on the bike broken by the nobwit driver. ( wire came loose but couldn't see in the dark to fix it !) luckily on my red night vision evo jacket ( not hi viz but has retro reflective shapes on it ) I have a back up red LED light built in
Purely as devil's advocate, shouldn't you still be walking as the Evo light isn't attached to the bike?

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I almost started writing something serious on the subject (nocturnal cyclist conspicuity, I mean, not Ulysses), about which I have been having additional thoughts during a period of wintry introspection, which have led to my becoming determinedly even less razzly-dazzly. I have stretched out the life of batteries for my Fenix torch beyond all previous limits. However I haven't really got time, and such efforts are largely wasted on Mr Slow anyway. It seems a more appropriate response to his intractability and pig-headedness to recycle some old writing on the subject, so here are some words I wrote for our local campaign rag yonks ago...

Attack of the Space Lemons

Don't worry – I haven't branched into Sci-Fi short stories. Some of you will recall that I have been somewhat scathing in these pages about the colour pink when it comes to bicycles and cycling accessories. But in fact I don't dislike pink as such – I merely object to its arbitrary association with the feminine. There is, however, one colour that really gets my goat, and we have entered its peak season. I'm talking, of course, about hi-vis yellow. I think it's fair to say that no-one chooses hi-vis yellow clothing for aesthetic reasons. There are some good yellows about, and those with the right attitude and a suitable skin tone might be able to carry off a raceleader's jersey with aplomb, or sport a jaunty headscarf that looks like some kind of homage to Kandinsky. But no one chooses a garment thinking “this is great, but would look better if it were the shade of radioactive custard”.*

So, given that anyone lately taking a constitutional could be forgiven for wondering why The Swans seem to be permanently at home to Norwich City, something else must be going on. It's worth reminding ourselves for a moment that this stuff isn't compulsory. Cyclists have been persuaded, or persuaded themselves, that it's for their own good, and there are signs that the sulphurous epidemic is spreading to pedestrians. It wouldn't be stretching a point to suggest that we have already reached a situation where hi-vis is de rigueur for cyclists in the eyes of most drivers, all policymakers, a substantial number of cyclists themselves, and the majority of casual observers. We've been here before, with helmets – the tyranny of common sense is upon us again.

It's at this point that we might get all misty-eyed about a time when not only did high-vis yellow not even exist in nightmares, but it seemed perfectly sensible for the CTC to campaign against cyclists being legally obliged to equip their bikes with lights. But that historical moment has passed, and we are not here to indulge in a fit of nostalgia. With the advances that have been made in LED technology, decent lights are cheap and easily obtained – bicycle light technology has not just kept up with the law, but outpaced it. Roads are shared public space, and we share a duty to each other and to ourselves to be visible when we are using them.

And there, I'm afraid, my Christmas-tree tendencies end. As well as being horrible, hi-vis yellow is unnecessary in the daylight and useless at night. I like a bit of retro-reflective trim (inconspicuous by day, effective by night), and am impressed with truly striking design such as Foska's wonderful skeleton jersey. But as an online acquaintance of mine wrote recently, “I have decided not to participate in the high-visibility arms race that will end up in peds and cyclists dressed like something out of Close Encounters […] and all cars running high beam headlights during daylight hours, [and] I don't want drivers taught to expect that the other road users sharing the space will be the same colour as a space lemon.*

There's a creeping tendency to shift the responsibility for safety onto the more vulnerable road user– have a look at the DfT's “Lighten Up” game for children if you doubt this**. This, of course, was what the CTC was really fighting all those years ago. Ask yourself why no-one demands that cars are painted hi-vis yellow. For me, there is too much illumination, not too little. Anyone who thinks that dazzling car headlights are for the benefit of pedestrians has not walked home along a country road at night. They are, however, yet another excuse for motorists brashly to announce their presence whilst not having to think about their speed. When everything that is deemed to be worthy of drivers' notice must be illuminated or gaudy, the rest of the world fades into the background or disappears into shadows and blind spots. Let's dim the lights and mute the colours a little, and take the trouble to look around us again.​

——-o0o——
* The imagery indicated, as well as the quotation, is shamelessly borrowed from the cyclist known online as “Ravenbait - the cross product of Tank Girl and Ellen Ripley” www.ravenfamily.org/sam
** http://talesoftheroad.direct.gov.uk/be-bright.php
The OP didn't even mention hi viz, it's been dragged into this thread probably inevitably.
But I get it now, you just hate motorists, any motorists with a passion, it all makes sense now.

subaqua

What’s the point
Purely as devil's advocate, shouldn't you still be walking as the Evo light isn't attached to the bike?

technically- yes. although it is better than some rear lights i have seen this week !

currently debating putting the new bits for my bike ( including new B&M dynamo light ) on before Christmas or waiting and do it when i am on Christmas break . (17th Dec onwards)

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I took this picture the other night when we were commuting home, we travel almost exclusively on lanes that have no street lighting except the villages we pass through. Some of the roads are so narrow there is only just room for a car and a bike to pass each other. We do not use high viz, on the contrary most of our clothing is black. Our lights are good, they need to be, they have settings that enable dip and main beam. When a chelsea tractor is coming towards you on main beam it is useful to have the capacity to make them dip.
The quality isn't great as it was taken on a phone, oh and btw the yellow pannier on dr_pink's bike is not high viz. One of her rear lights has actually been turned off because it is too bright to ride in company, of the 2 you can see one is a mudguard reflector. Note that our front lights illuminate the road and verge and not low flying aircraft.
FF83232E-8ED4-466D-BCB1-CEE3DFDC6095_zpscq8vcxe3.jpg

If there was more respect for each other non of these discussions would be necessary, as things stand there plainly is not, the next step is to educate the hard way, currently the penalties for hitting a cyclist are derisory, the same goes for using a mobile phone while driving. When these are addressed the road becomes a safer place, until then motorists will continue to drive too quickly with impunity.
I hope you weren't operating a camera with your hands and riding at the same time..............

You were the first person to mention the cyclist's clothing. It's in the OP. You called a cyclist a bellend for wearing black clothes then you claimed the OP wasn't about hi vis. You're not a very intelligent person.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I do it a lot. You have to pick your battles and be prepared to move quickly if it doesn't work, but I practice it as an antidote to the prevailing power relationship. Holding your hand up like a traffic cop helps.
Lol funniest thing I've read in a while! Says a lot.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
You were the first person to mention the cyclist's clothing. It's in the OP. You called a cyclist a bellend for wearing black clothes then you claimed the OP wasn't about hi vis. You're not a very intelligent person.
That's four!
"Hi vis" as in the " space lemon" variety wasn't mentioned or required. Just some sensible brighter more colourful attire or lights switched on. Come on Glenn get with the program.

[QUOTE 4046321, member: 9609"]
the tread is brim full of some of the darkest and dangerous ninjaism I have ever come across.

[/QUOTE]

Then you shouldn't have any problem finding a post that says no lights are a good idea.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 4046321, member: 9609"]

I have always loathed the whole concept of DRLs, they have added nothing to the safety of cyclists. But recently I have come to the conclusion they are even more dangerous than I ever imagined - I am seeing so many people these dark evenings with just the DRL on. the intensity of them on a dark evening is dangerously blinding.[/QUOTE]

DRL should turn off when headlights ( dipped or main beam) are on . I know when i leave the V40 lights set to auto they do. they are also low down so not pointing in yer face

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
You are miscounting. You have forgotten the word bellend in the OP
Yes but seeing as I wrote it, it's not directed at me, because I along with every other road user that morning had lights/side lights on so that they could be seen more easily. But we've been here already.

Like I said I dont know why I didn't see it before - being a cycling forum, the hatred towards motorists, it's plain to see, it over rides people's common sense, take @theclaud - walking out in front of traffic with his hand held high "like a police officer" just to make a point, it's absurd behaviour akin to Russian roulette, one day someone through just bad luck or not looking (maybe as he may be wearing dark dull clothes) may not stop.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
[QUOTE 4046359, member: 9609"]I was meaning folk not even putting their lights on and just driving about with DRLs. In poor light they can be very blinding[/QUOTE]
Seen that a few times round here, so that the rear of the car is not illuminated at all in semi/dark conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom