Idiots on public paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dashanova

Ok, there's a lot of good people on paths, not everyone sees (or hears) a bike approaching. Kids run out in front of you, dogs etc....That's fair enough and to be expected.
...But what experiences have you had with just...Idiots.

I'm going to share some of mine.

One night, very dark, I'm cycling down a well known cycle path in my area.
I've got two front lights and two back lights on.
The bottom lights are flashing, the top lights are very strong beams. (You can't miss them!).
So I'm cycling down this path.
My front beam is so strong that I can see two people approaching from a very good distance away.
My top beam is right in their eyes (I have it pretty high along dark paths), however I dipped the light as I approached and the bottom light is flashing.
...Guess what? They don't see me (or pretend not too) and walk right in front of my bike (which is a good 26 kilos (as it's electric)). I slam on the brakes and ask how the hell could they miss me?... The only lights for about 3 mile!!! And the guy apologizes and walks off. (The girl didn't say anything).
Personally I think they must have been taking the mick. I was sure I heard a little giggle.
He's just lucky I did stop and my brakes were so good because I was 100% sure they couldn't miss me, yet he actually made the effort to walk right in front of my bike just as I was about 3 feet from him. If my bike had hit him, he would have been severely hurt. Just stupid!

Another time, I'm chased by two pitbulls. - The owner doesn't call them off and eventually after about half a mile my jacket is shredded at the underarms where the dogs have been jumping and biting me. (I have protection against such things now, so that ain't gonna happen again).
I wanted to stop the bike and ram it up the owners bottom, but unfortunately the dogs were berserk and I was too ill at the time to fight off his two crazed dogs.

Oh another time! (I could be here all day).
...I'm going slow, i'm behind this woman (on a cycle path again).
I'm ringing the bell like you wouldn't believe.
She doesn't move an inch, just slowly keeps walking right in the middle of the path blocking my way.
I thought "Maybe she's deaf". (Even though there is very few deaf people and most have hearing aids, (but I still gave her the benefit of the doubt).
Just then someone else comes along the path towards me and says "Hi.........." ( whatever her name was). The woman says "Hello!" Back! - And both stop to have a conversation, right in the middle of the path!
I put on the brakes and then stop ask her what the problem was she couldn't stop.
Basically it boiled down to her hating 'lads' (I'm not a lad I'm 35 years old), and hating cyclists and she felt bikes shouldn't be allowed on the paths.
I said bikes have a right to the path, I used my bell, I shouted and if you don't move the next time, neither will I.

I've got many more experiences similar.
I just wonder, do other people have these experiences or is there a conspiracy just now, out to try to ruin every bike ride I go on?
I must say the roads are ok, although last week there was an incident where two hoodies screamed at me as I went past them which resulted in a scuffle and one of them being whacked over the head with an open plastic juice bottle which completely drenched him. (Very cold night too, must have been freezing when he got home heh heh).

Yeah I don't know about you, but I'd honestly say that everytime I go a cycle, there is some kind of story.
...It's usually just minor stuff, but there's always something.

I'm such a responsible cyclist; I do everything I'm supposed to do... if only others would do the same.
And why can't people on paths have a look around every once in a while to see if there's a bike or a horse or a runner behind them? - They just walked in a daze, it seems; right smack bang in the middle of the path where nobody can pass; immune to shouts, bells, screams...It's unbelievable.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I cycled where you cycled I would pack it in. It is supposed to be enjoyable.

I would have reported the dogs to the police immediately.

I would have pulled right alongside that woman and rang my bell. I wouldnt have threatened her. She hates cyclists even more now.

You need to relax a bit more as well.

Steve

OP
OP
dashanova

dashanova

That's my moan for today.
If I cycled where you cycled I would pack it in. It is supposed to be enjoyable.

I would have reported the dogs to the police immediately.

I would have pulled right alongside that woman and rang my bell. I wouldnt have threatened her. She hates cyclists even more now.

You need to relax a bit more as well.

Steve

Actually Steve, I'm a very relaxed and patient guy... I mean you've got to be where I cycle lol.
I didn't threaten the woman but If she won't play ball, neither will I. I always treat others the way they treat me and there's no way I would go through that again with the same person, not when it's deliberate like that.
...And believe me, I was right behind her within an inch, on her heels basically, ringing my bell as loud as possible (and it's a loud bell) and shouting to get her attention and she stubbornly wouldn't budge.
We need police on bicycles that's what we need!

BrynCP

Über Member
I had an idiot yesterday slur at me "You going to ride on the right side or what?" on a split cycle/pedestrian path with me on the red coloured cycle side with those pictures of bikes all the way along! Looked in his hand, saw the can of lager, and just ignored him.

Couple of days ago, same path, have somebody twice the size of me (and I am big) walking in the same direction in the cycle lane, despite nobody on the path. He didn't move despite hearing my brake, I just hung behind him until a dropped kerb and used the road.

Another similar split path, woman walking on the path, with her child walking in the cycle lane. Same path, another woman on the path, her pram on the cycle lane (which reminds me as a driver of the women who stand at the lights with pram hanging over the road :eek:)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
"I said bikes have a right to the path, I used my bell, I shouted and if you don't move the next time, neither will I."

It may not sound like a threat to you but it would to her.

Personally, I think you have given her the warning. Next time it should be full steam ahead and collision course, providing there are no witnesses.^_^

Steve

OP
OP
dashanova

dashanova

I had an idiot yesterday slur at me "You going to ride on the right side or what?" on a split cycle/pedestrian path with me on the red coloured cycle side with those pictures of bikes all the way along! Looked in his hand, saw the can of lager, and just ignored him.

Couple of days ago, same path, have somebody twice the size of me (and I am big) walking in the same direction in the cycle lane, despite nobody on the path. He didn't move despite hearing my brake, I just hung behind him until a dropped kerb and used the road.

Another similar split path, woman walking on the path, with her child walking in the cycle lane. Same path, another woman on the path, her pram on the cycle lane (which reminds me as a driver of the women who stand at the lights with pram hanging over the road :eek:)

Ah see, I don't believe in letting people away with things when i'm in the right. Because once they get a taste of that, they think they can do anything.
If I'm playing by the rules and there not, then I'm happy to point it out.

OP
OP
dashanova

dashanova

"I said bikes have a right to the path, I used my bell, I shouted and if you don't move the next time, neither will I."

It may not sound like a threat to you but it would to her.

Personally, I think you have given her the warning. Next time it should be full steam ahead and collision course, providing there are no witnesses.^_^

Steve

She knew I was in the right Steve. I mean, I never said it like a threat, more or less just "You won't play ball with me, neither will I with you".
And I certainly wont.

OP
OP
dashanova

dashanova

The thing is, a lot of the time I'm in a hurry, I'm heading out to work or to a class. I'm following the rules of the roads (and paths) and really don't have time to stop for every idiot who can't walk in a straight line or look behind them once in a while to see oncomers or keep their dogs under control.
It's more annoying when your trying to get somewhere in time. Generally when I'm just out for a pleasure cycle I'm more patient.
But my bike IS my car! I use my bike to go everywhere.
I just don't feel there's enough enforcement out there for bikes.
I really think the pathways should really be clear about what's to happen on them...Some rules laid down that people are forced to abide too (or even tutored in)...(Some people could use walking lessons to be honest haha).

Just rules like...Bikes on the left, or have a seperate path for bikes?
No dogcrap everywhere.
No horsecrap everywhere (clean it up you filth buggers).
Look behind you quite often (you are on a busy pathway full of bikes and horses duh).
Don't walk in groups at 2mph. (Walk single file and again LOOK BEHIND YOU!)

I want to be a bicycle cop. I really do. Man I could book at least 5 people every trip.

OP
OP
dashanova

dashanova

Oh i had another old guy a few weeks back.

He was on the far right of the path, i was on the left.
Plenty room to get by, no point ringing the bell.
Cycled past him....

...And he went "ARRRGRRGRGRRHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" I swear i thought he was having a heart attack. He was utterly terrified.
...He was howling like a banshee.
He sounded like someone had set his bollocks on fire!

Now why the heck should that be? Are these people not aware that there are hundreds of cyclists using these paths everyday?
I mean, did I do something out of the bleeping ordinary by cycling past someone on a busy cycle route?

For goodness sake! Oh I'd love to see some changes on the paths.

...You know what will happen though...They'll end up banning the cyclists from them...That's a moan for another day!

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
Ah see, I don't believe in letting people away with things when i'm in the right. Because once they get a taste of that, they think they can do anything.
If I'm playing by the rules and there not, then I'm happy to point it out.

Luckily most have brains. There are lots of runners on the loop I use, they run many abreast using the lane, but they always look and adjust as necessary. Similarly if there is a family of 3 or 4, but again they check and adjust, I thank them, everything is OK.

As there are more sensible people than idiots, I usually just ignore the idiots. It's especially not worth arguing with a drunk; they'll have forgotten all about it the next time it matters.

OP
OP
dashanova

dashanova

Luckily most have brains. There are lots of runners on the loop I use, they run many abreast using the lane, but they always look and adjust as necessary. Similarly if there is a family of 3 or 4, but again they check and adjust, I thank them, everything is OK.

As there are more sensible people than idiots, I usually just ignore the idiots. It's especially not worth arguing with a drunk; they'll have forgotten all about it the next time it matters.

Yeah runners understand the rules of the roads I always find.
I think for me, theres just been so many incidents on my local pathways, i feel compelled to do talk to people more about it.
I must say, people are quick enough to tell me when (they think) ive done something wrong (or if i have really done something wrong in their eyes) such as not used my bell, or had my lights too high...and that's fair enough. I just feel like a change has to happen on my local paths, it really does take some fun out of it when theres just one story after another. If everyone just followed a few basic rules, everyone could enjoy the paths.

Linford

Instead of using your bell, how about a 'good evening', or 'excuse me please' if you are right up close...it comes across as more of an impatient demand which people rarely respond favourably too (nobody likes being told what to do)
I think it would find more favorable results than a ding on the bell, however if you are going to use the bell, do it from a good distance away, and reinforce it then with a vocal request and a thank you. If you and they are using that space regularly, it will probably go a long way.

Regarding an E-bike on a cycle path...what is wrong with using the roads ?...some of these bike can tank along with very little or no effort.

OP
OP
dashanova

dashanova

Instead of using your bell, how about a 'good evening', or 'excuse me please' if you are right up close...it comes across as more of an impatient demand which people rarely respond favourably too (nobody likes being told what to do)
I think it would find more favorable results than a ding on the bell, however if you are going to use the bell, do it from a good distance away, and reinforce it then with a vocal request and a thank you. If you and they are using that space regularly, it will probably go a long way.

Regarding an E-bike on a cycle path...what is wrong with using the roads ?...some of these bike can tank along with very little or no effort.

Hi... i usually start with an "excuse me"...Then the bell, soft at first, the louder....Then "CYCLIST COMING THROUGH!"
People don't like being told what to do... Don't I know it! - Theyll do anything but move aside it seems sometimes.
However on paths which are for everyone to use equally, they should really be following some basic rules....

......Really the thing is...people shouldn't need told to move in the first place - they aren't children. (Actually the kids on the paths seem to have more sense than the adults in my experience).
These 'rules' they seem to hate so much are their for their own, their dogs, their children etc's safety. I cannot understand these 'bafoons'! (Only word that fits really).
I use my ebike on paths and roads. - It's legal for both. I enjoy pathways better as I like to see the countryside and the roads are very busy.
That's an odd thing to ask me though "why don't i just use the roads"...I could turn that round and say "Whats wrong with people just walking on pavements and not on paths"?
The fact is that we are all equally permitted to use these things, and we can't just walk away from something everytime someone gets in our way and use a different road or path...Well I won't be anyway! I don't see many people living their lives to suit me! And why the heck should they?! I don't think running from the problem will help.

I think the way forward is some action taken on the paths so people can follow some basic guidelines. (Look, listen, stand into the side for bikes and horses passing, dogs on leads, dogs that bite should be muzzled, clear up your dog/horse crap you dirty b, cyclists dismount for passing horses...etc!...just a few basic rules that everyone should heed too would make all the difference and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

E bikes (legal ones) go 15mph tops. - They don't 'tank along' as you say! Haha.
In fact, most cyclists along the paths go much quicker and as you probably know many cyclists are always boasting about their great speeds and claim they average 20mph or what have you. (I would say most do around 18mph on parts of the paths).
...So 15mph isn't that fast in comparison, and along bike routes I often go slower because i want to take in the views and stay outside a while.
You can't really pedal any faster than 15mph on an e-bike because the motor cuts out (and there's not enough gears to allow a faster speed).
Ebikes are just really for support up hills if you have joint trouble/illness etc. - They don't 'tank along' but no doubt they seem to have a bad rap because of lack of knowledge/misinformation about them.
Some ebikes go faster than that, but they are illegal on roads (not on paths though).
However my one struggles to do 15mph.

Last edited:
Top Bottom