Idiots stopping in ASL boxes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Because I don't like being to the left of the traffic stream through a junction, even if there is a left turn lane.
As long as they can see you 'and have acknowledged that you are there' it shouldn't be a problem as many junctions still don't have ASL's.. Personally, I do not EVER position myself on inside of anything higher than me such as a bus/van/lorry regardless of their being a dedicated cycling lane or ASL as there has been many cyclists crushed/killed for doing so.

D

Deleted member 26715

Because I was proceeding into an ASL, but the box was blocked by a :cursing: taxi. It's since then that I've taken up moving ahead of the foremost vehicle, never mind the ASL's physical location.
So you are prepared to break the law to prove a point? To what purpose, teach them a lesson?

D

Deleted member 26715

The entire thread should be deleted. If I was the OP I'd have requested that when it got to page 2... just to save myself more embarrassment.
Not if that was the purpose, although controversy rather than embasessment

Solocle

Über Member
But you are still prepared to break the law to prove you think you have the right?
I put safety before the law. I'm not getting pushed into the kerb because some incompetent, inconsiderate jerk is parked on the ASL.
ASLs exist for a safety reason. Getting to them can be risky, but I can judge that and deal with it (ready to merge into flow if it changes while I'm moving). I can deal with some moton parked on the ASL, but it might involve breaking the law (as a direct consequence of their breaking of the law). Mostly, though, I can just put the bike at an angle to obey the letter of the law. It means a slower getaway, so I wouldn't pull that where there's a front blind spot.

D

Deleted member 26715

I put safety before the law. I'm not getting pushed into the kerb because some incompetent, inconsiderate jerk is parked on the ASL.
ASLs exist for a safety reason. Getting to them can be risky, but I can judge that and deal with it (ready to merge into flow if it changes while I'm moving). I can deal with some moton parked on the ASL, but it might involve breaking the law (as a direct consequence of their breaking of the law). Mostly, though, I can just put the bike at an angle to obey the letter of the law. It means a slower getaway, so I wouldn't pull that where there's a front blind spot.
Okay I'm bugging out at this point, you are clearly another Racing Roadkill who knows better than everybody else, but just a last thought, on the bollocks you have just typed, "I put safety before the law." and "Getting to them can be risky" do not go together, I also question that crossing the white line, positioning your bike in front of a car is the safe thing to do just because you believe you have the 'Right' on your side, because you don't. But anyway stay safe & enjoy your riding, for as long as you can, us law abiding cyclists will just pick up the flak for your selfishness.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You are Racing Roadkill AICMFP ;)

Solocle

Über Member
Okay I'm bugging out at this point, you are clearly another Racing Roadkill who knows better than everybody else, but just a last thought, on the bollocks you have just typed, "I put safety before the law." and "Getting to them can be risky" do not go together, I also question that crossing the white line, positioning your bike in front of a car is the safe thing to do just because you believe you have the 'Right' on your side, because you don't. But anyway stay safe & enjoy your riding, for as long as you can, us law abiding cyclists will just pick up the flak for your selfishness.
No conflict, I don't proceed to an ASL if it's risky to do so. I generally filter up the right, rather than the left, for that reason, and, if the light changes, I abandon the maneuver and merge back into the flow of traffic (something I'm pretty well practiced at).

But, in recognizing the fact that proceeding to an ASL can be risky, I don't just blindly use the cycle lane to get there, as would be legal. However it would be foolish if there was a 44 tonner there waiting to turn left.

Sitting at the back of the queue has its own risks, one of which is being crushed in a rear end collision. ASLs exist for a very good reason - it's safer for cyclists to be at the front and clear the junction first. Not get caught up in the traffic light grand prix, which is exactly what happens if you're stuck to the side of an idiot sat in an ASL. And it's not like you can easily tell that when you begin filtering, and, although I always have a return gap when filtering, it doesn't necessarily reestablish you as part of the traffic flow (much harder with a stationary gap, rather than the point where the front vehicle is starting to pull away). A good summary

Why risk getting caught to the side of vehicles proceeding through a junction when you can just nip ahead of it all. Safety takes precedence, always. I obey the law where it does not compromise my safety, which is most of the time. But, if there's a conflict, I will always choose safety.

Safety is of course relative. I think the safest course of action is to filter up towards the front at junctions with an ASL. If then confronted with a vehicle sat in the ASL, I think the safest course of action is to go and sit in front of them. It may not be risk free, but that's my assessment of the situation in Oxford.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't just blindly use the cycle lane to get there, as would be legal.
It's perfectly legal to enter the ASZ pretty much any which way you fancy. On a bike, at least. There's no requirement to use the filter lane.

I do agree that you absolutely have the right to prioritise your safety over the law, but I'm not sure that putting your bike at the front of a queue of traffic is necessarily doing that.

D

Deleted member 26715

ASLs exist for a very good reason - it's safer for cyclists to be at the front and clear the junction first.
Sorry I did say I wouldn't comment again & I honestly won't as this is the fundamental difference on our opinion, how by allowing slow moving cyclists to be in front of vehicles to me is beyond comprehension. And HTF can a cylcist clear a junction before said impatient driver, they just swerve round them creating more danger

Solocle

Über Member
It's perfectly legal to enter the ASZ pretty much any which way you fancy. On a bike, at least. There's no requirement to use the filter lane.

I do agree that you absolutely have the right to prioritise your safety over the law, but I'm not sure that putting your bike at the front of a queue of traffic is necessarily doing that.
I'm more than happy to agree to disagree there :cheers:
I dare say it's something that varies according to where in the country you are. My assessment of that's primarily based on Oxford, which probably has better than normal awareness of cyclists.

Sorry I did say I wouldn't comment again & I honestly won't as this is the fundamental difference on our opinion, how by allowing slow moving cyclists to be in front of vehicles to me is beyond comprehension. And HTF can a cylcist clear a junction before said impatient driver, they just swerve round them creating more danger
The core of my assessment is that you're through the junction while vehicles are still moving relatively slowly. If you're further back, there's more time for vehicles to pick up speed, which then makes holding primary through the junction more annoying to the impatient drivers.

roley poley

Veteran
Hello solocle and welcome to cycle chat would you be kind enough and reply to the message by I like skol as his pint is going warm in my hand as I watch and I have a £5 bet on thank you

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm more than happy to agree to disagree there :cheers:
I dare say it's something that varies according to where in the country you are. My assessment of that's primarily based on Oxford, which probably has better than normal awareness of cyclists.
I look at it on a junction by junction basis, taking into account local knowledge, density and type of traffic, junction layout etc. But my default position is one vehicle back.

Top Bottom