Idiots stopping in ASL boxes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I suppose there's no point in riding a motorbike if you can't filter, assuming you bought it to beat traffic jams and not just to tear around the Peak District trying to incorporate yourself into the scenery.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I suppose there's no point in riding a motorbike if you can't filter, assuming you bought it to beat traffic jams and not just to tear around the Peak District trying to incorporate yourself into the scenery.
I wouldn't say there's "no point" - some motorcyclists don't feel the need or have the confidence to filter, yet they enjoy their bikes nonetheless. I generally filter because I can, not because I must. My bike is a hobby, as much as anything - filtering is one of the many pleasures it brings me.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think you will find that the intention is trying NOT to incorporate yourself into the scenery, do bikes still ride out there? Last time I went a few years ago it was pointless as everywhere the limit had been dropped to 50 making the whole process worthless.

icowden

Veteran
The other thing that is irritating about motorcyclists driving up the cycle lane and into the ASL box is that at some junctions those boxes have an "early start" green light for cyclists, so these numpties block the cyclists from using the very measure that supposed to give them an additional bit of safety.

I use the ASL at Blackfriars bridge a lot when returning to Waterloo (I turn right onto the bridge then left down the festival hall road). I see the following behaviours which are all quite frankly irritating:

1) Motorcyclists / Moped drivers speeding up the cycle lane and parking themselves in the ASL box, thus blocking it for cyclists (it can be a busy box)
2) Moronic cyclists who go *over* the ASL line and who are too dim to realise that the priority cycle light can only be seen if you stop legally
3) Moronic cyclists who don't think that red lights apply to them and just go through anyway (some with only the vaguest understanding of which strand of traffic might be setting off) (Personally I don't want to have to spend time giving a witness statement when one of them gets knocked off).

I fail to understand why people can't just stop at the line and use roads legally.

JPBoothy

Veteran
The other thing that is irritating about motorcyclists driving up the cycle lane and into the ASL box is that at some junctions those boxes have an "early start" green light for cyclists, so these numpties block the cyclists from using the very measure that supposed to give them an additional bit of safety.

I use the ASL at Blackfriars bridge a lot when returning to Waterloo (I turn right onto the bridge then left down the festival hall road). I see the following behaviours which are all quite frankly irritating:

1) Motorcyclists / Moped drivers speeding up the cycle lane and parking themselves in the ASL box, thus blocking it for cyclists (it can be a busy box)
2) Moronic cyclists who go *over* the ASL line and who are too dim to realise that the priority cycle light can only be seen if you stop legally
3) Moronic cyclists who don't think that red lights apply to them and just go through anyway (some with only the vaguest understanding of which strand of traffic might be setting off) (Personally I don't want to have to spend time giving a witness statement when one of them gets knocked off).

I fail to understand why people can't just stop at the line and use roads legally.
I think 'Moronic' red light jumping cyclist as a whole need stopping because they have been doing it for years.. A real plus point that I noticed 'and liked' when joining this forum was that we are not too blinkered to believe that all cyclist are 'special' and everybody who doesn't regularly ride a bike is a git :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I generally filter because I can, not because I must. My bike is a hobby, as much as anything - filtering is one of the many pleasures it brings me.
+1 :okay:
I always do a "risk assessment"; e.g. are the lights going to change when I'm half way up the queue? If yes, then don't bother. I don't ride in that there London, so ASL's and cyclists aren't much of a concern. Around here, cyclists are a rarity and so aren't catered for in the same way. Outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh, you don't see a lot of ASL's, and the ones you do see are generally empty - so I see no harm in using them on the motorbike. Illegal, tehnically yes, but harmless - a bit like the old RLJ on a pedal cycle at 3 am when turning left. Seriously, some on here claim they are so saintly that they would wait for it to change even in the absence of any traffic. Just like car drivers who never, ever, break the speed limit. Then you get in a car with them and they do 35 in a 30.... But that's just keeping up with the traffic flow they say :laugh:.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'm not saying motorcyclists should use the ASLs or that you shouldn't be annoyed at them doing so, but you are wrong about the motivation. They use them for the exact same reasons as cyclists, they are vulnerable in the same way.

I'm not sure what having an engine or riding on the motorway have to do with it. It sounds a bit like the oft heard: "Cyclists squeeze through stationary traffic so why should I give them any space when overtaking?"

Getting rear-ended at stops is a big worry on a motorbike. I've even had someone drive into the side of me after we had both been stopped at lights for a few minutes, pinning my leg to the side of the bike. If he'd gone any further he would have crushed it. At junctions there is a strong desire to get somewhere cars can't easily hurt you but can easily see you.

I would say that at 70 mph on a motorway, you are at far greater risk of serious injury or death at that speed plus all the other objects around you doing the same. A stationary line of traffic and the possibility of being rear-ended, which happened to me once in a company Hilux (the driver behind hit the tow hitch), is minimal compared to other risks. My point was that some bikers are happy to expose themselves to higher risk, but are worried by very low risks.

It's a bit like flying. Some people are terrified of flying which is statistically way,way safer than driving. The same people who are afraid of flying or won't cycle because it's 'dangerous', quite happily get into a tin can on wheels and drive at speed where they are far more likely to have an accident simply because there are more cars, law of averages etc. I suppose its about perceived risk, rather than the real risk. also on a motorbike, you generally go faster and so are thus increasing the risk because there's a world of difference between coming off at, say 10mph, and coming off at 40mph.

Here's a thought: a biker gets caught in a traffic jam on a motorway, a 3 lanes blocked...no ASL's, what to do?. I would think in that scenario, the risk of being shunted is also very small.

In any case, there are rules of the road for everyone. No-one, car, biker, cyclist should cherry-pick which they are going to follow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I would say that at 70 mph on a motorway, you are at far greater risk of serious injury or death at that speed plus all the other objects around you doing the same.
I'd disagree, having travelled many thousands of miles on a motorbike, I have never been involved in an accident on a motorway for exactly the same reason as you state, the speed is greater yes, but you are all hopefully travelling in the same direction. Apart from the speeding Audi/BMW who leaves it until the 100M board before they come from lane 3 to go up their exit, as long as you are paying attention motorways are safe. What is not safe is in towns where the drivers can go off in any direction without warning

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'd disagree, having travelled many thousands of miles on a motorbike, I have never been involved in an accident on a motorway for exactly the same reason as you state, the speed is greater yes, but you are all hopefully travelling in the same direction. Apart from the speeding Audi/BMW who leaves it until the 100M board before they come from lane 3 to go up their exit, as long as you are paying attention motorways are safe. What is not safe is in towns where the drivers can go off in any direction without warning

Well that's the nature of urban environments and all the more reason to follow the rules of the road. It still doesn't excuse current illegal use of things like mandatory cycle lanes & ASL's. Also, motorbikes like cycles, are quite maneuverable and this also helps avoid accidents. I do get annoyed when I'm cycling along in a mandatory lane, coming up to lights with a line of cars, to suddenly get overtaken by motorbikes that cut into the lane in front of me.

D

Deleted member 26715

Well that's the nature of urban environments and all the more reason to follow the rules of the road. It still doesn't excuse current illegal use of things like mandatory cycle lanes & ASL's. Also, motorbikes like cycles, are quite maneuverable and this also helps avoid accidents. I do get annoyed when I'm cycling along in a mandatory lane, coming up to lights with a line of cars, to suddenly get overtaken by motorbikes that cut into the lane in front of me.
I wasn't defending them, I was just advising that motorways are not the dangerous place you seem to think, but they shouldn't be there & IMO if we had anybody to impose enforcement then they should receive it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Motorways are stristically some of the country's safest roads. While the velocities and kinetic energy at hand may make for a lot of pain when something goes wrong, the likelihood of it going wrong to begin with is a lot lower.

Conversely, you can still die or end up crippled if it goes wrong while filtering, which is more likely to happen.

In any case, the people who behave like twits on the motorway probably don't drive any better on urban roads.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Here's a thought: a biker gets caught in a traffic jam on a motorway, a 3 lanes blocked...no ASL's, what to do?
Filter to the front of the queue or until traffic starts moving again. Filtering through stationary traffic at a sensible speed is much safer than filtering in moving traffic.
After filtering to the front, enjoy the clear run, rather than get involved in all the stop/start nonsense that inevitably follows a 3 lane blockage in your scenario.

D

Deleted member 26715

Filter to the front of the queue or until traffic starts moving again. Filtering through stationary traffic at a sensible speed is much safer than filtering in moving traffic.
After filtering to the front, enjoy the clear run, rather than get involved in all the stop/start nonsense that inevitably follows a 3 lane blockage in your scenario.
Like all these what/if scenarios it all depends on the actual situation, it might be filter as above watching out for opening doors, it might also be that you switch off the engine & put the bike on the stand.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Like as @Phaeton said..... circumstances.
I have travelled up the M1 at speeds in excess of 100 mph just to keep with traffic in lanes 2 and 3 and have filtered nearly half of the M25 coming back from WSB at Brands Hatch, a lot does depend on the circumstance of that day/time, I have also put the bike on the stand and sat on the Armco in the central reservation for an hour

Top Bottom