Idiots stopping in ASL boxes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you are going to ignore the highway code and cross the stop line into the area meant for cyclists , why even bother with the red lights at all ?
Why? Because the whole point of traffic lights is to improve traffic flow at junctions and stop traffic in one direction from coming into conflict with traffic from another direction. Passing the first stop line, but stopping before the ASL, doesn't alter that. That's where the stop line used to be, after all, pre ASL days.
As for ending up in front of a judge, laughable. I can assure you that the Police have more to worry about. Unless you're really unlucky or have "shown an interest" in the Officer's wife/husband, or failed the attitude test, then they aren't going to bother you.
I'll take my chance anyway. In the unlikely event of a fixed penalty ticket I'll plead guilty and take the points and fine. I still won't end up in front of a judge.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't think Matthew has ridden a bike for years now. He is well into cars I believe.
And it's all YOUR fault, Mr Driving Instructor :tongue:.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Interesting point that made me think. On the face of it I tend to agree, but then I think further - if I was prevented from choosing my speed based on the location and conditions, would I keep motorcycling? Clearly there are times that speed limits are inviolable but there are other times where speed limits become..... up for debate?
Sums up the attitude of many motorcyclists. We're rebels so the law doesn't apply to us. On summer days in the car I am regularly overtaken by idiots on sports bikes doing twice the limit.

figbat

Slippery scientist
On summer days in the car I am regularly overtaken by idiots on sports bikes doing twice the limit.
And this sums up the attitude of many non-motorcyclists. I never said that. You have no doubt also been overtaken by careful, considerate bikers on a variety of bike designs doing speeds you are unable to quantify other than being faster than you are driving. I also assume you have never crept over the speed limit in a car.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
And this sums up the attitude of many non-motorcyclists. I never said that. You have no doubt also been overtaken by careful, considerate bikers on a variety of bike designs doing speeds you are unable to quantify other than being faster than you are driving. I also assume you have never crept over the speed limit in a car.
Oh, I know when I'm doing 50 and being overtaken by something 50mph faster.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Oh, I know when I'm doing 50 and being overtaken by something 50mph faster.
At least the biker won't be checking Facebook on his or her phone, or shouting at the kids in the back seat, or arguing with the passenger in the front, or taking a phone call, or doing his or her make up, or, or, or......

A biker's life depends on concentrating on his or her riding at ALL times. If only the same could be said of car drivers with all their safety aids.

Solocle

Über Member
There won't be one.:okay: Next.:rolleyes:

When I said I can't recall sharing an ASL with cyclist I meant it, it might be years since I did, Apperley Bridge to BD9 is not a route a cyclist would take unless A, they are mental and have a combined intense hill climb/death wish or B, they work at BRI like me. Dream on.
Harrogate Road? Doesn't look that bad in the scheme of things.

Only time I cycled in Bradford was the tail end of a metric century loop, out from Leeds, up to Skipton, down to Bradford. I used the Keighley Bypass, only turning off the A650 into Shipley. That was a little bit interesting.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The illegal use of ASLs by those not on bicycles is often justified with, "well, there was nobody else using it so it's okay for me to", which is about as valid a reason for using a disabled parking space when you're not a blue badge holder.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The illegal use of ASLs by those not on bicycles is often justified with, "well, there was nobody else using it so it's okay for me to", which is about as valid a reason for using a disabled parking space when you're not a blue badge holder.
Difference being, a biker can tell if there is a cyclist using the ASL box, or about to use it (as he will have just passed any cyclists heading that way). I wouldn't dream of using a disabled parking space because I can't possibly tell who might come along and need it while I am away from my car. And in any case I'm not so lazy that i can't walk from the nearest available legal space. Not a valid comparison by you, sorry!

Top Bottom