Idiots stopping in ASL boxes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I was once sat in an ASL here:
york road.jpg

Ok, left lane was being dug up to install gas main, ASL half size just enough room for 2 cyclists. White van behind me, so I'm obscured. Heard approaching engine, then huge motorbike appears from my right, tries to get in ASL, spots me, then goes over second line which I understand is a traffic offence?. Wish bikers wouldn't filter and wrongly assume they can get into the ASL. Poor riding, wrong assumption.

classic33

Leg End Member
+1 :okay:
I always do a "risk assessment"; e.g. are the lights going to change when I'm half way up the queue? If yes, then don't bother. I don't ride in that there London, so ASL's and cyclists aren't much of a concern. Around here, cyclists are a rarity and so aren't catered for in the same way. Outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh, you don't see a lot of ASL's, and the ones you do see are generally empty - so I see no harm in using them on the motorbike. Illegal, tehnically yes, but harmless - a bit like the old RLJ on a pedal cycle at 3 am when turning left. Seriously, some on here claim they are so saintly that they would wait for it to change even in the absence of any traffic. Just like car drivers who never, ever, break the speed limit. Then you get in a car with them and they do 35 in a 30.... But that's just keeping up with the traffic flow they say :laugh:.
I did that one Sunday morning, around half four, on the way to work. Intent on turning right not left, and got a nudge forward from the lorry driver behind me. Pointed to the light being Red, then got passed as he pulled out to pass me, on the wrong side of the road.

Blind junction to the left and right, with a reputation for being a racetrack at times.

Drago

Legendary Member
Of course, the front of the queue is the most dangerous position, particularly for a cyclist. Why go to such effort to expose yourself to danger? Not you, but the same people preach to us about helmet safety then go and exhibit to most dangerous roadcraft. Go figure.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Sorry but you should then, you have no right to be in them
Interesting point that made me think. On the face of it I tend to agree, but then I think further - if I was prevented from choosing my speed based on the location and conditions, would I keep motorcycling? Clearly there are times that speed limits are inviolable but there are other times where speed limits become..... up for debate? These times often coincide with some of the best memories I have of biking - not speeding per se, but enjoying a ride in a fantastic environment at a speed that seems fitting.

If filtering was banned, would I keep riding? Probably, and I'd probably keep filtering too where appropriate.

Do I use ASLs? No.

So I guess we each make our own choices about compliance vs factors such as safety, convenience, enjoyment etc. I wonder how many of us is fully-legal when cycling after dark? (I suspect a large number of us aren't).

icowden

Veteran
What makes the front of the queue the most dangerous place for a cyclist? My understanding of the ASL boxes is that they were created to improve safety by letting cyclists move off before the motor vehicles.

figbat

Slippery scientist
What makes the front of the queue the most dangerous place for a cyclist? My understanding of the ASL boxes is that they were created to improve safety by letting cyclists move off before the motor vehicles.
The problem is that there is a risk to access to ASL (passing stationary traffic, usually on their left) and then when the cycles do "move off before the motor vehicles" they quickly get caught by the motor vehicles leading to potentially unsafe overtaking manoeuvres.

D

Deleted member 26715

Or if you ask most motorists they will change that to slowing them down & then as @figbat suggests pushing past them as soon as impractically as possible

icowden

Veteran
Fair enough.

I think in some places they are arguably safer. For example at Blackfriars, the ASL I use allows cyclists to go about 2-3 seconds before the motorised traffic, which means that bikes turning right can get safely out of the way before the traffic becomes a problem. The are also issues with it in that the cycle lane (stripe on the road job) approaching the ASL has a bus stop not long before the ASL which means that cyclists are often having to filter around the busses. Also that the "go" light for cyclists is only on the left side of the ASL, so very hard for cyclists turning right (who have the most benefit from it) to see.

I always think, "could you not have found a couple of cyclists to review the plans? - they could have made it better and safer."

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Nope I don't think you will, as 'proper/real' motorcyclist wouldn't do that as there is no need, but as usual the idiots will & it's the usual answer, there's nobody out there to stop them so they do.
I should add that I do see bikers being courteous and not barging into the ASL or mandatory lane too. As you say, minority of idiots.

D

Deleted member 26715

I should add that I do see bikers being courteous and not barging into the ASL or mandatory lane too. As you say, minority of idiots.
Bad planing is also to blame, there's one in Sheffield where you have to cross the two lanes of a dual carriageway to turn right onto the other carriageway (does that make sense?) Anyway the bushes are now that high on the right that you have to enter the ASL to check whether it is clear to cross, https://www.google.com/maps/@53.386...4!1slo543r3lB6nvzJ2sCjauiA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 you end up with a choice to block the ASL or block the pedestrian crossing

MarkF

Guru
Sorry but you should then, you have no right to be in them

You don't have to be sorry, I understand. But I use a motorbike solely for commuting, it's a 125cc, I can't out accelerate a normal car. Filtering and using ASL's cuts down a car commute time from 1 hour to 20 minutes. It's trans (in a bowl) Bradford, v.hilly and which I am certain is the the least cycled urban area in the UK, I cannot recall the last time I shared an ACL with a cyclist. I make good use of them and when I am commuting by cycle I don't give a monkey's fart whether a motorbike is in one with me. :okay:

Top Bottom