If Carlsberg did SMIDSYs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Glad to hear you’re back on the bike and haven’t lost your confidence. I think fitness is easier found than confidence!

Even then, I was burgled many years ago and lost a half-decent separates system, which the insurers offered to replace under new-for-old with something a good deal less specced. As I rejected their offer, I was only 'entitled' to the price they were willing to pay to their supplier for the equipment they'd offered. I'd have been better off with a straight insurance claim. Since then I've actively avoided new-for-old policies.

My new for old policy with Axa is excellent. I had to claim on it last month when my hybrid was stolen. They literally googled the bike make/model while we were on the phone and offered me the cost to buy the 2017 model at one of the online stores that had stock (it was listed cheaper with another store but not in stock). They asked me for a list of extras (lock, pedals, phone mount, bottle cage, rack etc) and a URL for the replacement by email and didn’t quibble it. My policy tops out at £1k but I got a bank credit for £850 the day after I called them.

I was very impressed with them and I would buy insurance from them again.

Perhaps these things vary between insurers.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bump! The American journalist Christ Hedges wrote that "God is inscrutable, mysterious and unknowable". God must also be moonlighting as the logistics manager for Canyon.

After receiving an interim payment for the bike in late October (about 75% of the cost of a new bike) I ordered a new frame, intending to swap over the components from the totalled bike. Canyon gave a delivery date of the 26th Feb 2018 - 4 months. No probs I think, I'd probably stick to my old-faithful in the winter anyway. Imagine my surprise on Monday when there's a knock on the door and Lubo the courier hands me a big box with a Canyon frame in it. I'd not had an email delivery notification or anything. It just turned up. Given that an early Canyon delivery probably gets a mention in Revelation as a sign of the apocalypse, I'm happy enough. In true Canyon form however, the clip that holds the Di2 junction box into the handlebars is missing.

I've just built it up (minus clip) so here's a picture of the new "ugly carbon thing" (c) @Crackle 2017. I went for red this time, because it gives me the air of a cad.

IMG_0026.jpg

My solicitors and her insurance company are still locking horns over the personal injury element of the compo. They're in court on the 26th. The shoulder that took the brunt of the fall is still a bit of a problem despite not suffering a break and I struggle to sleep on that side without discomfort.

vickster

Legendary Member
That was quick...my accident was 4 years ago tomorrow...I've not had a penny and we've still not settled :banghead:

Why do you not have to go to court on the 26th?

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
That was quick...my accident was 4 years ago tomorrow...I've not had a penny and we've still not settled :banghead:

Why do you not have to go to court on the 26th?
Sorry to hear of your woes @vickster.
The court thing is pure paperwork. There's no dispute about the circumstances of the accident and I had an independent medical assessment with the results also agreed. The argument is purely about the level of compensation for the injuries. The BC solicitors think her insurers are undervaluing the claim and they're willing to take it to adjudication. I could have taken the last offer but as I'm still following the solicitor's advice, I don't have liability for any costs. I'm playing with house money.

My feeling is that this is a power-play by my solicitors to make a point - even the most generous increase in payout would be less than the court costs. Personally my attitude has hardened with respect to the incident. I didn't break anything, but my shoulder 'ain't right' and I doubt it's going to improve as I get older.
That's lovely that, Bollo /[clenched teeth]

It's nice Canyon let their apprentices design the odd frame.
I did ring up Canyon to see if they did anything in 531 with fancy lugs, mudguard eyes and possibly chromed forks. I didn't quite follow the German response, but I think I have to speak to a Mr Shyzer?

If you had bought something like this I might have a chance to keep up with you
View attachment 396098
Too kind :blush: but times are definitely off so far this year. I'd hoped to manage another year of Cat 4 wacky races before I hit 50, but it'll be touch-and-go.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't take bullpois from them. Any excuse to shave a penny off the payout, they will.

Years ago Mini D #1 was wiped off her scooter on a roundabout by a myopic driver. Helmet (my Arai, which she'd 'borrowed'), Halvorssens jacket, and boots damaged.

Other drivers insurers offered about half new value for the damaged gear, claiming it was used, and therefore they would offer only used value.

I responded that Mini D was entitled to be restored to the position she enjoyed prior to the incident. That position involved protective equipment which had been owned from new, and was therefore of known provenance and therefore liable to function exactly as the manufacturer intended in the event of a smack. The sum they were offering was sufficient to buy only used gear of unknown provenance, with no guarantee it had been treated correctly, which could conceivably harbour hidden abuse or damage.

I argued that reassurance about the provenance, and hence potential effectiveness, of her PPE was part of the position she enjoyed prior to the incident, and she should be restored fully to that position - they paid for new PPE of identical spec without further argument. The £400 for my Kocinski eagle Arai must have made them squeak a bit.

Top Bottom