1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Carlsberg did SMIDSYs

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Bollo, 11 Aug 2017.

1. Bollo

Bollo Chaaaaaa!

I was t-boned at a junction yesterday at the junction here https://goo.gl/maps/8NAzkcYcFgu. It's the approach to the very agreeable village of Hursley, home to IBM Research and old Hampshire money.

I was doing something like 20mph when she just went across me. I've never felt forces on my body like that before and I think I did most of a somersault before landing on the tarmac. I was pretty distressed.

While I'm lying there crying and hurting waiting for the ambo a passing doctor stopped and made sure I wasn't going to kark it. While he's doing an assessment another guy turns up who happens to be a surgeon. I'm pretty much using up the NHS at this point. Plod turned up and closed the road and cautioned and breathalized the driver. She was a lady in her early 70s at a guess and she admitted to just not seeing me, so there shouldn't be issues with insurance. She was pretty shocked herself.

Anyways, by some miracle I didn't break anything, but have damaged the shoulder joint and sprained an ankle. I'm beginning to suspect...... I'm ......Wolverine. Arm in a sling for a couple of weeks and no riding for a month.

No idea how the bike is as it is being looked after by a local who was first on the scene, but the front wheel is totalled. It was, as @Crackle so nicely put it, "the ugly carbon one". Pictures when I retrieve it.

NorthernDave, MacB, mjr and 2 others like this.
  2. Jesus! Glad you are ok, mostly.

GWS

xzenonuk and Bollo like this.
  3. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

Ouch ya
    Hope you get over the shock and make a good recovery.
    xx

Bollo likes this.
  4. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

:sad: Poor Bollo, GWS. Hope the bike's OK.

Bollo likes this.
  5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Nasty. Glad youre not too badly hurt. Gws

Bollo likes this.
  6. Regulator

Regulator Treachery is noble when aimed at tyranny.

Ouch! GWS.

Bollo likes this.
  7. Glad you're OK. Get well soon.

Bollo likes this.
  8. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

heal quickly and get back in the saddle.

Bollo likes this.
  9. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

I hope you mend quickly!

Bollo likes this.
  10. Bazzer

Bazzer Much to do and not enough hours

Sounds like you were lucky, although I suspect the next few hours will reveal more bits which hurt. GWS.

Bollo likes this.
  11. Nibor

Nibor Über Member

Gws all you were missing was a panel of judges to score your somersault

12. Drago

Drago Guru

Lordy. Glad you survived that one intact.

Bollo likes this.
  13. Ganymede

Ganymede Veteran

Sorry to hear about that. I hope it's not too bad. You were lucky to have such experts nearby!

Bollo likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Bollo

Bollo Chaaaaaa!

It might sound odd but I'm not a seething mass of anger. Just after I hit the deck I thought I was seriously life changingly hurt, so to get away with comparatively minor injuries makes me feel a very lucky Hector.

15. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

Ouch! :B) There but for the grace of <whoeveryoubelievein> go the rest of us. Speedy recovery.

Mrs M and Bollo like this.