If Carlsberg did SMIDSYs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice lady who took in the bike dropped it back at my house today. It's safe to say that the damage will not polish out...

41cJZSINqyL._CR1,0,293,293_UX128.jpg
41Qt1Isk3%2BL._SL256_.jpg

will soon sort it out.

Nice lady who took in the bike dropped it back at my house today. It's safe to say that the damage will not polish out...

Oh dear. That's sad to see. I think her insurance are going to get a shock when you present the bill for replacement.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
have damaged the shoulder joint

Again, sorry to hear about your experience. I had a similar experience last July but mine was more of a Tesco Premium Larger SMIDSY and not quite up to Carlsberg standards! I know it sounds silly but I would keep an eye on your shoulder visually (ie in the mirror). I say this as I landed on my shoulder and had a load of adrenaline at the scene so no pain at all, but come the next day could not even pick up a kettle. It wasn't until a week after when I saw an osteopath that he pointed out a noticeable boney lump on the affected shoulder before an XRay revealed it was a grade 2 separation of the Acromioclavicular joint which required specific physio exercises.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Every cloud and all that so you're not badly hurt and, even better, you've managed to ditch that evil carbon stuff.

Oh and a quick general question, if Carlsberg did CC threads would @Bollo ever appear?

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think the police have two weeks to issue a Notice of Intended Prosecution for careless driving, so keep asking them soon.
Get well soon.
I've not heard back from the Feds yet (Boomtown festival down the road so they'll be all over that) but I think the attending was traffic police who'd been called off the nearby M3, so not just a beat plod making it up on the fly. I did a brief statement with him in the ambo and he pointed out one or two environmental things that, while not absolving the driver, may have contributed to the chain of events.
On balance I'm not especially keen to see a 70 year old nana at the magistrates. After a chat with my new bike returning friend, the lady probably won't get behind the wheel of a car again after that. I got the impression plod was on the fence about charging - we'll see how it unfolds.
Anyway, I've made contact with my shysters who'll no doubt argue the toss with her shysters. I've been through the process before so have few illusions. As long as I get well and score a bike/frame of similar awesomeness and lack of reflectivity then all's well with the world.
Again, sorry to hear about your experience. I had a similar experience last July but mine was more of a Tesco Premium Larger SMIDSY and not quite up to Carlsberg standards! ...
Ouchio! Hope all is ok now. Luckily I seemed to have caught the NHS on a good day. As well as the two docs at the scene I was whisked through a quiet A&E in the Royal Hants. All examined, X-Rayed, physioed and discharged in an hour. I even got a cup of tea from the receptionist. I live about 5 minutes from the hospital as well, so just walked home.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nasty. Good work on bouncing so well, Bollo, and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've not heard back from the Feds yet (Boomtown festival down the road so they'll be all over that) but I think the attending was traffic police who'd been called off the nearby M3, so not just a beat plod making it up on the fly. I did a brief statement with him in the ambo and he pointed out one or two environmental things that, while not absolving the driver, may have contributed to the chain of events.
Traffic police making excuses for substandard motoring? Surely not(!) What was it? Were you daring to cycle on a sunny day somewhere with trees? Or were you cycling in a loud shirt? I'm sorry you've suffered that insult in addition to the injury :sad:

On balance I'm not especially keen to see a 70 year old nana at the magistrates. After a chat with my new bike returning friend, the lady probably won't get behind the wheel of a car again after that. I got the impression plod was on the fence about charging - we'll see how it unfolds.
I'm not especially keen to see anyone at the magistrates but unless the police revoked her licence for eyesight problems, it's currently a necessary step to disqualify and if her driving is substandard then she should be disqualified before someone gets hurt even more seriously than you did, or at least discouraged by a conviction and the resulting increase in costs of driving. If you don't push this and then you read that she's been involved in a fatal collision, how are you going to feel?

I've heard too often that someone probably won't drive a car and then they do, so I wouldn't let that report affect me. Voluntarily surrendering a driving licence would be more convincing but even that is relatively easy to reverse. Disqualification should be pursued, in the public interest. If it only results in points, then at least it should limit how many chances she gets if she is actually dangerous.

Good luck with the insurers!

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Traffic police making excuses for substandard motoring? Surely not(!) What was it? Were you daring to cycle on a sunny day somewhere with trees? Or were you cycling in a loud shirt? I'm sorry you've suffered that insult in addition to the injury :sad:

I'm not especially keen to see anyone at the magistrates but unless the police revoked her licence for eyesight problems, it's currently a necessary step to disqualify and if her driving is substandard then she should be disqualified before someone gets hurt even more seriously than you did, or at least discouraged by a conviction and the resulting increase in costs of driving. If you don't push this and then you read that she's been involved in a fatal collision, how are you going to feel?

I've heard too often that someone probably won't drive a car and then they do, so I wouldn't let that report affect me. Voluntarily surrendering a driving licence would be more convincing but even that is relatively easy to reverse. Disqualification should be pursued, in the public interest. If it only results in points, then at least it should limit how many chances she gets if she is actually dangerous.

Good luck with the insurers!
+1 to above, if nothing else, think of the other people she might be putting at risk.
I know you both mean well and @mjr it's clear you're someone with a strong PoV but can we not do this here please? There's no evidence that her eyesight was defective - that's a straw man at best - or that she's a serial cyclist splatter. If evidence emerges of either, then I hope plod/CPS/insurers take appropriate action. They might not, but then that becomes a separate and very different thread. Thanks all for your best wishes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nasty.

You were very lucky but be wary with a shoulder injury as they are buggers to heal.

You could have easily had your spine broken. I was only doing 13 mph when t-boned and the car wasn't going quickly.

Top Bottom