If Carlsberg did SMIDSYs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The driver awareness course was what they lady had to do who knocked me off. I didn't have a say in it, the plod decided and informed me about a month later. They advised that the driver has to pay something like £170 for the course. The driver awareness course does seem to be a very common approach from constabularies nowadays and they said in their letter that it has been proven to be the most effective way of rehabilitation for driving without due care and attention.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, that moved quickly. I took a phonecall from plod about an hour ago with the incident details. As is the way with these things I was asked which option I'd like to see; prosecution, driver awareness or nowt. I was surprised that the officer really didn't have a problem with the prosecution route given the circumstances as he saw them, but I've voted for driver awareness unless something more sinister turns up like poor eyesight or a dismembered body in her boot. Not my decision finally but I suspect that's where it's heading.

I'll shut up now until the inevitable insurance saga kicks off. Thanks to all again for your kind wishes. You stay classy Cyclechat!
Sounds as though they're willing to push on this on. Best of luck.

Well, that moved quickly. I took a phonecall from plod about an hour ago with the incident details. As is the way with these things I was asked which option I'd like to see; prosecution, driver awareness or nowt. I was surprised that the officer really didn't have a problem with the prosecution route given the circumstances as he saw them, but I've voted for driver awareness unless something more sinister turns up like poor eyesight or a dismembered body in her boot. Not my decision finally but I suspect that's where it's heading.

I'll shut up now until the inevitable insurance saga kicks off. Thanks to all again for your kind wishes. You stay classy Cyclechat!
No rack option or dunking, standards aren't what they used to be. I mean I'd have even settled for lashes; not the long sort for eyebrows, the other sort.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A minor point, but I would be inclined to put the saddle down a bit before taking pics for her insurers.

It might just help to head off any daft allegation that you were riding 'backside up/head down' and couldn't see where you were going.

A minor point, but I would be inclined to put the saddle down a bit before taking pics for her insurers.

It might just help to head off any daft allegation that you were riding 'backside up/head down' and couldn't see where you were going.
Cautiousness is always a good idea, but how would not being able to see where he was going be relevant in a t-bone? I'm assuming she crossed a stop/give way sign.

Woah! I did. I didn't click 'next' on the pages, but the next number, I must have missed a whole page out.
You probably just skimmed over it, as he wrapped it in a humours spoiler warning.

Nice lady who took in the bike dropped it back at my house today. It's safe to say that the damage will not polish out...

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

Thanks for the idea, but if they go that route it just shows they're desperate. They'll accuse me of not noticing my approaching doom because I was scrolling through Silk Road for Spice, Plutonium and slaves on a stolen iPhone if they think it'll save a few bob, and I'm sure my lot will make out the lady to be a smelly pirate hooker. It'll all come out in the wash. That might be the painkillers talking though.

Ironically if I were 10,000% more talented as a cyclist I think my pro nickname would be 'the Meerkat'
because my riding style is noticably upright, even with a number on my back (I'm #56 in the blue. See what I mean?)

34196508546_e6ff9648d3_c.jpg

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sounds like your fault.. You cycle so sodding slowly she must have thought you were parked by the side of the road ..
Now I'm hurting emotionally J. You're a very unkind man.
Were you coming from the Romsey direction and her from Poles Lane?
That's the chap. There's really no good reason not to see someone at that junction on a dry and moderately sunny afternoon. She came across me rather than side swiped so it was almost like she was taking the small side road to the primary school. Part time lights weren't operating (have they ever?) but I expect an accusation of RLJing or the old classic "no hi viz" to be her insurer's opening gambit.

DRM

Guru
Now I'm hurting emotionally J. You're a very unkind man.

That's the chap. There's really no good reason not to see someone at that junction on a dry and moderately sunny afternoon. She came across me rather than side swiped so it was almost like she was taking the small side road to the primary school. Part time lights weren't operating (have they ever?) but I expect an accusation of RLJing or the old classic "no hi viz" to be her insurer's opening gambit.

If they try the Hi Viz route, just tell 'em your riding a bike not working on a building site, then ask for the relevent legislation stating you must wear Hi Viz.

If they try the Hi Viz route, just tell 'em your riding a bike not working on a building site, then ask for the relevent legislation stating you must wear Hi Viz.
Theoretically good advice, but in practicality, leave it to the lawyers. They'll get their fees from the opposition and know the successful rebuttal to any nonsense like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom