If Carlsberg did SMIDSYs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, that's the spirit. The PTSD has driven you to drink and drugs. You want compo, and money to buy more drugs.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Self-obsessed bump!

I've just had my first ride out since the accident. Barring some residual shoulder pain I'm pretty much mended. Despite hitting the turbo trainer I can tell I'm a little off the pre-accident pace. Even so, it was great to be back out and I'm not jumping out of my skin every time I see a car.

The Nana's insurance have admitted liability without arguing and I've had my assessment medical, so it just remains to haggle over compo. Time to start looking at replacement frames....

Katherine

Guru
Self-obsessed bump!

I've just had my first ride out since the accident. Barring some residual shoulder pain I'm pretty much mended. Despite hitting the turbo trainer I can tell I'm a little off the pre-accident pace. Even so, it was great to be back out and I'm not jumping out of my skin every time I see a car.

The Nana's insurance have admitted liability without arguing and I've had my assessment medical, so it just remains to haggle over compo. Time to start looking at replacement frames....

That's great to read. Well done!

Globalti

Legendary Member
A minor point, but I would be inclined to put the saddle down a bit before taking pics for her insurers.

It might just help to head off any daft allegation that you were riding 'backside up/head down' and couldn't see where you were going.

Nonsense. You credit insurance clerks with knowledge of cycling, which they won't have unless they happen to be cyclists themselves. Even then it's irrelevant; to them it's a bike and a statistic.

The OP shouldn't need to rebuild the bike, the insurance co should already have directed him to their own accredited repair/replacement organisation, which will provide him with a complete replacement bike. This was what happened when my cycling buddy hit a car (shared fault agreed); his household insurer gave him a brand new, identical bike within a few days and the old broken bike is hanging in his garage being slowly cannibalised for spares. Nothing less is acceptable because other components might be damaged.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
@Globalti -> It always pays to read upthread :okay:
Nonsense. You credit insurance clerks with knowledge of cycling, which they won't have unless they happen to be cyclists themselves. Even then it's irrelevant; to them it's a bike and a statistic.
Ironically if I were 10,000% more talented as a cyclist I think my pro nickname would be 'the Meerkat'
because my riding style is noticably upright, even with a number on my back (I'm #56 in the blue. See what I mean?)
View attachment 367762
I wasn't concerned about this then and I'm not now. Like I said, any argument about liability is history.
The OP shouldn't need to rebuild the bike, the insurance co should already have directed him to their own accredited repair/replacement organisation, which will provide him with a complete replacement bike.

Thanks 400, but the only undamaged tubes are one of the seatstays and the head tube. The top tube and the drive side chain stay are completely sheared and the area around the BB is cracked to buggery. It's not coming back.
To update that, the bike has been officially written off by all concerned. No arguments from the other side.

This was what happened when my cycling buddy hit a car (shared fault agreed); his household insurer gave him a brand new, identical bike within a few days and the old broken bike is hanging in his garage being slowly cannibalised for spares. Nothing less is acceptable because other components might be damaged.
You break your own bike then you look at repairs, someone else breaks it you get a new bike.
That's not how it works. Compensation for damage is exactly that - in UK law it's there to put you back in the same state as you would have been if the incident had not occurred. There's no punitive element. This is made clear if ever you make a claim. For example, if someone slams into your 10 year old car, you're not entitled to claim for a new car.

However, the 2nd hand market for bikes isn't like the second hand car market - you can't just open a copy of cycle-trader and find an equivalent and that's before you consider issues like hidden damage etc. So, for bikes there's some negotiation required to define the second-hand value. My briefs are playing hardball over the bike valuation so I may get back *most* of the original cost of the bike.

When I was hit, the replacement value of the bike as new was a little over £5,000 (I know, so kill me). She's lucky I had the training wheels on, otherwise there'd be another grand on top of that. Phone your household insurance with figures like that and they'll cough up their cornflakes/M&S sandwich. Trust me, the phone lady nearly choked when I was last renewing my home insurance. They simply won't consider those numbers for damage outside the home, however caused.

It's all in hand, I'm not stressed about it and I'll have enough wedge to get me back to full poseur status before the start of next season. If I resent anything it's the loss of bike time and the subsequent drop in fitness. I'm noticing my age now and it's harder to recover what you lose.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well good luck with that. As a matter of interest we have £10,000 damage and theft cover on our bikes attached to our normal household cover with Swinton, on condition that the bikes are stolen from a locked building or while locked outside. Mrs Gti makes a big point of going over this carefully with Swinton every year at renewal time and getting it in writing.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Well good luck with that. As a matter of interest we have £10,000 damage and theft cover on our bikes attached to our normal household cover with Swinton, on condition that the bikes are stolen from a locked building or while locked outside. Mrs Gti makes a big point of going over this carefully with Swinton every year at renewal time and getting it in writing.
Good luck with that, although you'll only receive the negotiated current value of the bikes, unless the cover is explicitly new-for-old. Even then, I was burgled many years ago and lost a half-decent separates system, which the insurers offered to replace under new-for-old with something a good deal less specced. As I rejected their offer, I was only 'entitled' to the price they were willing to pay to their supplier for the equipment they'd offered. I'd have been better off with a straight insurance claim. Since then I've actively avoided new-for-old policies.

Top Bottom