If cyclists are banned from Mororways and some A roads then...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There are quite a few contraflows in Sheffield cars can't go up (some ignore them of course), that count?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

no that doesnt count because I am guessing they are in a town/built up area...I mean the nice little country lanes where cars have no right to be and scare the wildlife and cyclists.

marinyork

I'd be interested seeing a contraflow in a non-urban area!

I can think of some roads in the country that have been blocked off at one end to stop people driving down them at insane speeds and of course the roads with "Local Traffic only" signs to try and discourage people from driving down them. There aren't many though. Bad ride tonight or just pondering it?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Bad ride tonight or just pondering it?

I rode this morning...usual 25 miles along nice lanes as well as the usual mayhem . I was just enjoying being totally alone on some nice lane with nobody but the pheasnts and a cow to talk to when the obligatory oik in souped up nerdmobile has to belt along scaring everything and embarrassing the entire human race in front of the animal kingdom.

I'd vote to ban the car full stop.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I was musing on this last night - maybe leaving "major" roads open to motor traffic, and closing off others to it. (Prompted travelling through Manchester, as quite a few roads go broadly in the same direction).

papercorn2000

<Tubs> This is a local road, for local people, there's nothing for you here!</Tubs>

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There are a couple lanes near me that have been closed to traffic for a good few years. The hedgerow has pretty much taken over the entire road. Tarmac covered in deep mud at the lowest points. Branches/ stones/ rocks everywhere. Still: if they closed 'em to motor traffic and continued to maintain them..

zimzum42

Legendary Member
How do you enforce it?

Most roads will be access for someone, so how do we make sure they can go down the road, but not anyone using it as a cut through etc?

If it was just a sign, it would be ignored, and gate systems would be expensive and complicated.

Blocking roads off at one end might infuriate legitimate users like farmers

mcd

On Jersey there is a 45 mile network of roads where cyclists (& pedestrians & horse riders) have priority over vehicles. Other traffic isn't banned (which helps keep the roads clear of debris) but the roads are narrow, twisty and have a speed limit of 15mph - so most traffic uses other faster roads instead. Don't know about enforcement, but it seems to work well as it is.

marinyork

Isn't that a political/royal thing? I don't live in London but isn't Pall Mall closed on a sunday to cars? I wish there were other roads like that I knew of.

Top Bottom