if helmets became compulsory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
EPS is brittle by definition as it typically breaks with little or no ductile flow or deformation unlike say cling film. So when you snap polystyrene foam its a brittle fracture i.e. it breaks with no plastic deformation taking place first at the break. This is important as brittle fracture absorbs very little energy compared to deformation which is how the helmet is designed to work and absorb energy.

so you would prefer a helmet made of cling film

david k

Hi
article-1353166-0D073423000005DC-245_306x390.jpg

or this?

if it was law they would have to

Which is why we see so many cyclists RLJ, so many cars on pavements, so many cars without insurance or drivers without licenses?

It simply isn't practicable.

postman

Legendary Member
Ok lets push another lawMobility scooters.Why no seat belt or helmet.It's on the road,so seat belt.Motorcyclists have to wear a helmet.Why not them.They use the road i have seen them.But i do wear a helmet and i don't find it a problem.But i would join a group against forcing cyclists to wear one.

david k

Hi
Ah yes, another law the police can't enforce, I don't see any reduction in the use of mobile phones.

i was referring to the point that the police would ignore it, they wouldnt as they couldnt. i didnt say it would make a difference as you say with mobile phones, but they still stop and fine em

david k

Hi
Which is why we see so many cyclists RLJ, so many cars on pavements, so many cars without insurance or drivers without licenses?

It simply isn't practicable.

murder is against the law, but it doesnt stop people doing it, is that good enough reason for it not to be law? im not saying wearing a helmet should or should not be, just that your reasoning on this occasion is flawed

murder is against the law, but it doesnt stop people doing it, is that good enough reason for it not to be law? im not saying wearing a helmet should or should not be, just that your reasoning on this occasion is flawed

Rather a ludicrous comparison surely?

There is proof that murder is not good for the victim's health, but there is absolutely no proof at a population level that not wearing a helmet is adverse.

Hence there is a value to murder being illegal, but no value to not wearing a helmet being illegal.

Please reassure me that you do not think that that murder is in any way equivalent to not wearing a helmet - surely you are not going to advocate life sentences for failing to wear a bit of plastic?

david k

Hi
you seem confused, ive not said that making a helmet legal brings any benefits, or indeed that it doesnt, not made a point either way.

i said if it is made illegal police will have to pull you up, that was in response to somebody saying they wouldnt. nothing to do with making them legal or not, responding to the comment about police, do you follow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom