if helmets became compulsory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

[/size]
Really? I find it rarely comes up as dinner party conversation, so I'd be curious to know: majority of cyclists or majority of people in general? I think non-cyclists are in general far readier to say "yes, seems like common-sense, why not?" because they have an inflated idea of the intrinsic risks of cycling and an unwarranted belief in the effectiveness of this particular intervention - and the downsides are not downsides that they personally can relate to.

I confess it's not a topic discussed at every function I attend, but where it is that is the response.

You make a fair differentiation between cyclists and the general population, but it's not something I consider when muklling on this. Nor does Parliament.

I'd say that about 40% of my usual circle of friends are cyclists. About 5% are keen cyclists.

I think you're right in believing that most non-cyclists would think 'yes, why not'.

I think they'd be in favour of people wearing a lid, but I don't believe they'd be in favour of compulsion.

I now no longer insist that my offspring wear lids, although I used to. They are 12, 15 and 17. If I were to insist, they might be less inclined to ride. I'd rather they rode. They may ride just as happily in lids, but I can't be sure.

Thankfully, middle child (the keenest) is a helmet wearer.

Some friends are aghast that I let my issue take such fearful risks. These are the 'yes, why not' brigade.

But I don't believe they'd support a Bill in favour of mandatory helmet use. Nor do I believe that the majority of MPs would.

I'm not sure about non-cyclists having an inflated view of the intrinsic risk, as you say they do. Some do, certainly. I'm not sure most do. Many people my age (40s) say "We didn't wear them when I was young" and leave it at that.

Bafflingly, I remain a wearer of helmets on longer or bad-weather rides... but opposed to compulsion and convinced that it won't happen.

Interesting points nonetheless; and fuel for thought.

Bicycle

The big question though is what did they have to eat? :tongue:

A very fair question.

If I'm hosting, I like a light salad-based starter, moving on to a traditional stew (duck or game can be lovely - or there's a very good Normande recipe for chicken with apple and Calvados; very buttery and bad for you, but yummy).

River fish done in foil with herbs from the garden and Olive Oil are also a winner.

Steamed vegetables, served simply and usually potatoes rather than rice.

I can't cook puddings, but Mrs Bicycle makes some excellent ones.

Drinks should follow the flavour of the food, but not in an obsessive way.

If I'm not hosting, I eat what I'm served.

I still don't think helmet laws for bicycles will ever be passed. If they are, my next dinner party will be serving a stew made of my hat.

Thank you, I think attention to detail like this is important.

Might I suggest a Bouillabaisse for your hat stew if fish is your thing.

They should be wearing helmets for dinner - furniture is dangerous[/ul]

Table Corner Safety By Quentin Shires, eHow Contributor

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that each year approximately 2,800 children between the ages of one and 14 die from unintentional injuries and accidents. Common household furniture items can pose a threat to children and their families; therefore being aware of furniture safety issues is paramount. Table corners are often equipped with sharp edges that can increase one’s chances of becoming injured. Being informed of specific safety issues with table corners will help keep your dining area safe and enjoyable.

1. The Importance of Table Corner Safety
    • Dining rooms can be full of bustle and fast activity; therefore it is essential to ensure that all pieces of furniture are safe and secure. Tables that feature sharp corners can pose an injury risk to children and other family members.
    Types of Injury
    • There are many injuries that can be received from a table’s corner. Cuts, bruises and punctures of the skin are just some of the injuries that can be received if you come in contact with a sharp corner. Other table corners can cause head injuries when reaching under the table, so being aware of how far the corner extends is extremely important.
    Table Edge Bumpers
    • Table edge bumpers can be purchased to lessen the risks of injuries when using a table. Table edge bumpers come in a variety of designs that include brackets or protective liners. Soft plastic brackets can be placed on each edge of the table to decrease the possibility of children and adults bumping into the table’s corner. Protective liners are usually made out of soft, padded material that stretches all around the table’s edge. Protective liners are designed especially for younger children.
    Supervision and Education
    • It is imperative that children are supervised at all times when in the presence of a dining room table. Making sure that they use caution when walking or sitting near table corners can help reduce injuries or accidents. Educating children about the dangers of table corners and types of accidents that can be experienced is also helpful in keeping the dining area safe.
    Reducing Hazards
    • Finding an appropriate location for your dining room table can help lessen the occurrences of injuries and accidents. Ensure that your table has adequate room around its perimeter so that diners do not have to squeeze by or touch the table corners. When using the dining room table, discourage diners from placing their chairs in front of a table corner. Remember that the risk of accidents and injuries will increase when in the direct vicinity of a table corner.

Allirog

I didn't realise that table corners could be so lethal.How long before some MP tables a motion that wearing helmets and protective padded jackets should be compulsory in dining areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom