If I Could Turn Back Time. If I Could Find A Way.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
We all know the immortal words of the "turn back time" song sung by Cher on Top Of The Pops many years ago.

I'm on the wrong side of 50 and I'm trying really hard to boost my fitness, but as each week passes me by, I find the whole thing getting that bit harder.

I was probably at my fitness peak at around 28 and since then, it's been a bit downhill.

If anyone has any tips which will keep me out of a care home, I'd be much obliged.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If anyone has any tips which will keep me out of a care home, I'd be much obliged.
Ride hard enough to get breathless several times in a ride, and long enough to get tired.

Take as much time as you need to fully recover.

And repeat. Regularly...

davidphilips

Veteran
You are still young enough to get really fast on a bike, no great secret about it, theres 4 steps to take, First you need a bike that fits and is set up correctly for you and if possible an indoor trainer for bad weather days .
Second you need a proper training plan that includes rest days and rest weeks.
Third the really hard bit is healthy eating or good diet, (impossible to cycle of a bad diet).
Last is consistency with training.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Strength work to maintain muscle mass
High intensity to maintain vo2 max
Low intensity long duration to build muscular endurance and resilience
Get enough rest after exercise
Get enough sleep
Eat well.

If this doesn’t get you past your 8mph averages. I don’t know what will.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's a cruel reality, but as you get older, things don't go quite to plan.

It's inevitable that whatever you can do this year, you won't be able to match next year.

If anyone has any tips on over 60's bike riding, I'm here waiting.

Actually it’s not, unless you are already at age group levels of competiveness.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Actually it’s not.

The grim truth is that for every year you exist, your fitness level drops.

Partaking in physical activity may slow the process, but you will progress from the cradle to the grave over time and there really isn't anything you can do to stop it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The grim truth is that for every year you exist, your fitness level drops.

Partaking in physical activity may slow the process, but you will progress from the cradle to the grave over time and there really isn't anything you can do to stop it.

Nope it’s not. Your fitness potential drops . But unless you’ve reached that potential then there’s no reason your fitness needs to drop. At some point the ceiling will come down to your current fitness abilities. But no reason that should be in your 50’s.

postman

Legendary Member
Just go out to slowly at first,enjoy the riding the scenery takeout refreshments.The more you go.out you will find you will pick up speed,dont beat yourself up.I have not started yet this year,I have Been off the bike since August.I will ride all the same places but at a slower pace.Enjoy the time out and not the speed.You will build up the stamina as you go.

davidphilips

Veteran
So get to work on it and sort your fitness out , increase it.
That is the best advice you will ever get.

Some of the best hill clambers in the cycling club i go to are actually over 60. One in particular (admittedly he played tennis a lot) only started cycle training a few years ago and unless i am in very good form he drops me and i train quite hard.

Top Bottom