If I ever complain of carrying too much stuff on tour....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am in Tanzania on business for a bit, and having been eyeing up the local bikes. Mostly heavy Indian and Chinese roadsters

Some great loads seen including 4 or 500 eggs stacked in boxes on a standard size rear rack, and these two classics I spotted this weekend on a ferry out of town.....the guy with the sofa cushions must have had 300-400kg on there! I also spotted a guy who had mended his broken forks by splinting them with pieces of wood and old inner tubes.

A lovely place and very friendly. But hotter than most of you currently have!

attachment.php
attachment.php

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Great pics... more... more....

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Not surprised he's pushing that trike up the hill ;)

... and getting one's leg over the bar is quite an art when loaded thus !

zacklaws

Guru
Their actually pictures of the Tanzanian National Road team in training, the first one is the team bike in lieu of a team car carrying all the nutrition for the team and the second picture, the rider cannot afford a good gel saddle so he's had to compromise

If you look closer the rider with the cushions has lost his chain, no wonder he's walking.

Here's a couple more

AY21138171_440x370.jpg

20090506_0026_05.jpg

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
It certainly does seem to be a nice place and the people laid back and friendly. Apart from night time it seems fairly safe to be out and about and a couple of my colleagues have been to local (ie non expat bars) with no hassle

In the spirit of friendship, I offer you broken fork man with SPD sandals and touring shorts, and the TZ approach to carrying nutrition on the front of your bike (ie your coconuts - 25p on the beach for a freshly opened one)
http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5266&d=1263277342
attachment.php
attachment.php

belairman

brilliant pics ... I just love the wooden forks! Can you get them on wiggle?

It kind of puts our obsessions with things like carbon fibre etc into perspective, doesn't it? And it is great to see bike (or trike) power being used seriously as part of an economy

Cheers Tim

bauldbairn

belairman said:
It kind of puts our obsessions with things like carbon fibre etc into perspective, doesn't it? And it is great to see bike (or trike) power being used seriously as part of an economy. Cheers Tim

+1 - I agree totally, we're discussing what parts to buy to improve good standard bikes - these guy's are happy just to have bike's and are using them more than any of us. :tongue:

Crankarm

Guru
jay clock said:
It certainly does seem to be a nice place and the people laid back and friendly. Apart from night time it seems fairly safe to be out and about and a couple of my colleagues have been to local (ie non expat bars) with no hassle

In the spirit of friendship, I offer you broken fork man with SPD sandals and touring shorts, and the TZ approach to carrying nutrition on the front of your bike (ie your coconuts - 25p on the beach for a freshly opened one)
http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5266&d=1263277342
attachment.php
attachment.php

That's a lovely bunch of coconuts?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Suspension forks too ? :smile: Surely the rubber bands will give it some shock absorbence ?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Brilliant pics - just shows what can be done, and rather defeats those who whine "but I can't cycle, I have to carry a briefcase...."

I work on Maximus trikes, and we think we shift a lot...

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
thanks for the comments. It is my first trip of more than a few days in Africa, and interesting to say the least! I have to remember that I am staying in the poshest part of Dar, and it must be very different out of town, but people here HAVE to make a living - there is no benefits system, and 90% of people do not have a car, so for example even middle manager level people in the company I am working for may well be coming by bus (ie a 12 seater minibus with 20+ on board. And the state of some of the bikes has to be seen to be believed!

Very enjoyable, eye opening and lovely and warm as a big plus! 30-32 every day, sea is 29, and occasional heavy rain. It is lush growth everywhere as a result

Top Bottom