If I had a penny

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Damn right it's illegal.

Bl00dy stupid, selfish and antisocial too.

Is it any wonder no-one walks anywhere with twonks like this about.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Yes. Road Traffic Act 1988, section 36. Failing to comply with a traffic sign (keep left bollard in this case).

I just Googled this:-

"Thank you for your email dated the 2nd September 2011.

In 2009, contravening certain moving traffic offences (ie keep left on a traffic island) became the responsibility of the Local Authrority to enforce. As a result, police in these circumstances do not have any powers to intervene.
Where officers witness offences in boroughs where the Local Authority are enforcing, (ie Wandsworth) drivers may be stopped and words of advice given, however, no formal warning may be given or reporting action taken.

Regards

ROADSAFE LONDON"

So according to this, it is, but nobody will do anything, in London at least.

D

Deleted member 1258

I normally take primary when dealing with pinch points, I had a large lorry get between me and the keep left bollard here http://goo.gl/maps/ka7ac a couple of years ago so I'm a little bit more assertive these days. Going back five or six years a driver almost caused a major crash by going the wrong side of a keep left bollard, he misjudged my speed, came up behind me to overtake and suddenly realised he couldn't get by me without hitting the island hit his brakes then realised he was going to hit the island anyway then swung right and into the path of a line of three cars coming the other way.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I dont have a huge problem with going the wrong side of an island, as long as it is a safe move. I often filter past queues of traffic on the right of traffic islands, is that illegal too?

Maylian

Veteran
Last week I was more assertive in taking a strong primary at pinch points on my route (normally take a good secondary) because of a close pass. Now bare in mind that this is at 6am and there isn't much traffic, day one of strong primary some female driver sits behind my beeping until we're past the pinch point. It's that kind of poor driving that gets me angry.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I often filter past queues of traffic on the right of traffic islands, is that illegal too?
Yes.

OP
OP
Krellon

Krellon

It's not always about the single event that just occurred e.g. the one in this video.
It,s about the inconsiderate driving that's occurred before this event or the inconsiderate driving that may occur after where somebody could actually get hurt.
This driver clearly has a disregard to the highway code and other road users. This means they probably will go on to commit more violations in there journey and possibly cause somebody harm.
My intention with the video is two fold.

1. Bring too light the violations and dangers we continually have to endure on our roads by showing examples of violations. and,
2. Prevention by making drivers aware that they are being filmed. In the hope that one day they will be a bit more considerate towards other road users. Or if necessary taken out of the equation by the authorities.

The camera does act as a deterrent if it is seen by some drivers so the above messages do get through. Unfortunately you do get the ignoramuses who don't care and there the ones who need taking off the roads.

Br

jack smith

Veteran
Better than being overtaken on the same wide when going through it, EVERY driver up my way seems to do this. I've learned now to hog the road on approach to one so it can't be done

OP
OP
Krellon

Krellon

Better than being overtaken on the same wide when going through it, EVERY driver up my way seems to do this. I've learned now to hog the road on approach to one so it can't be done
That's not hogging the road mate! That's riding/driving defensively in order to prevent a near certain incident. I do it on narrow roads and bend when I KNOW a driver would try and zoom through in close proximity.
It works well if done in plenty of time so the approaching driver can respond. A last minute pull out into the middle of the road isn't recommended though :cycle:

Br

cd365

Guru
Last week I was more assertive in taking a strong primary at pinch points on my route (normally take a good secondary) because of a close pass. Now bare in mind that this is at 6am and there isn't much traffic, day one of strong primary some female driver sits behind my beeping until we're past the pinch point. It's that kind of poor driving that gets me angry.
I'd have stopped and asked her what her problem is.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's not hogging the road mate! That's riding/driving defensively in order to prevent a near certain incident. I do it on narrow roads and bend when I KNOW a driver would try and zoom through in close proximity.
It works well if done in plenty of time so the approaching driver can respond. A last minute pull out into the middle of the road isn't recommended though :cycle:

Br

Unless of course the <insert expletive of choice> decides to barge you out of the way when pulling alongside !

You are still right of course - take the lane !
But the above did happen to me - only just stayed on whilst emergency braking

Top Bottom