If I was to buy a helmet cam ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
...you'd spend your evenings reviewing footage and getting grumpier.
I'll spend my evenings uploading the footage to the police and feeling much happier as a result :tongue:
......and your going to bore us with all the so called near misses
and I'm going to bore them with the actual near misses and the actual hits, and the left hooks, the red light jumping cars, the mobile using drivers, people turning right without indicating because they have a mug of coffee in their indicator hand (yes really), people throwing things at cyclists from their cars, turning left from the right hand lane, overtaking while I'm turning right, overtaking while I'm turning left, using their horns inappropriately, attmepted squeeze passing at pedestrian refuges, speeding in 30 zones (handy radar operated road sign proves it) et cetera, et cetera. (and that is just July 2013 so far):tongue:

Are we bored yet? I could go on.:laugh:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
@gaz is the man to ask about helmet cameras.

Reactions: gaz

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've got one Greg. It won't stop near misses. It won't result in more prosecutions as iirc it can't be used as evidence against say a driver on a mobile although I think they can be given a ticking off.

I got mine to calm me down a little bit. My reasoning was that rather than losing it at a driver I could just think "I've got you on video and I can report you". I did report a couple, nothing happened. I did calm down a bit.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The dogcam is a good camera but you might want to look at something which suits your needs a bit better (mounting to the handlebars)

You don't need a helmet camera.

Cycle assertively, defensively when necessary, be aware of your surroundings, anticipate bellends and don't get wound up by the small minority of absolute pricks who will drive irresponsibly whether you have a helmet camera or not.

Yes there are knobs, but they are best ignored. Better to enjoy your cycling and not get wound up by it.

Just think, all that time you spend editing footage for youtube reliving the moment you could use more productively (watching trashy tv, cooking, drinking, arguing with family, doing absolutely nothing).

I would advocate helmet cameras if they were exclusively used to provide evidence to police/insurers. However it's a slippery slope, upload one video to youtube and more are certain to follow and then 'looking' for incidents might well happen.

No thanks.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You do not necessarily need to wear a helmet, some cameras come with headbands.
Also you could just mount it on the handle bars.

I've got one a bit smaller, and it's on the arm of my glasses, which works really well.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You don't need a helmet camera.

Cycle assertively, defensively when necessary, be aware of your surroundings, anticipate bellends and don't get wound up by the small minority of absolute pricks who will drive irresponsibly whether you have a helmet camera or not.

Yes there are knobs, but they are best ignored. Better to enjoy your cycling and not get wound up by it.

Just think, all that time you spend editing footage for youtube reliving the moment you could use more productively (watching trashy tv, cooking, drinking, arguing with family, doing absolutely nothing).

I would advocate helmet cameras if they were exclusively used to provide evidence to police/insurers. However it's a slippery slope, upload one video to youtube and more are certain to follow and then 'looking' for incidents might well happen.

No thanks.

But on the other hand.

Imagine I'd gone to the police without the helmet camera footage. Where would this have got to? Nowhere. At most the driver would have had a chat from the police where he would have protested his innocence. Having the footage, not only meant the police took an interest, but that the accused knew there was no point in denying the charge. The footage is very clear.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've got one a bit smaller, and it's on the arm of my glasses, which works really well.
Hi Ben, what camera is that? How does it attach?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hi Ben, what camera is that? How does it attach?

It's the hedcamz 2G

I attached it with one of the included mounts which is a nylon fabric strip with elastic loops on - I just pushed the arm of the glasses through. I'll post up a pic later if you like.

I was worried about having weight on one side, but it only weights about 30g so as long as your glasses fit well you shouldn't have an issue - I barely notice it now. At some point I'll get round to fashioning something else, as the velcro hooks on the back of the strip do scratch a little bit.

Those that post endless clips online represent those with cameras that post online.

Very little is known about the footage that is not posted which probably accounts for a much larger section of the community that record, occasionally review situations, but mostly delete.

Top Bottom